2 Replies - 1307 Views - Last Post: 26 September 2012 - 04:08 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Best language for system development (open source Operating system)

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:46 PM

Hi to everyone I'm newbie to computer programming, I'm just start learning to programming.

I really like security at all levels, networking, systems, applications software, ect.

My goals are to be a programmer oriented to security , in other words help to secure systems (mainly LINUX/UNIX systems), so and asking some advice relate to which is the language for a beginner and how many language do I need to learn in order to reach my goals.

Should I start with a high level language? so i can get experience . which language will you guys recommend to me. What I really want to do is to programming the CORE systems, or any other security problems in the UNIX/LINUX enviroments.

Please which is the best language PATH to achieve my goals. Thanks in advance for any anwsers.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Best language for system development (open source Operating system)

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Best language for system development (open source Operating system)

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:09 PM

We already have some threads on this. I am going to move this one to Software Development.

I strongly suggest searching through our Corner Cubicle, Software Development, and Student Campus forums for similar threads, as this type of question gets asked a lot. Much of the advice given in previous threads is probably still relevant to you.

Current threads:
http://www.dreaminco...uage-conundrum/
http://www.dreaminco...he-path-u-took/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Best language for system development (open source Operating system)

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:08 PM

View PostChispa2011, on 25 September 2012 - 05:46 PM, said:

Hi to everyone I'm newbie to computer programming, I'm just start learning to programming.

I really like security at all levels, networking, systems, applications software, ect.

My goals are to be a programmer oriented to security , in other words help to secure systems (mainly LINUX/UNIX systems), so and asking some advice relate to which is the language for a beginner and how many language do I need to learn in order to reach my goals.

Should I start with a high level language? so i can get experience . which language will you guys recommend to me. What I really want to do is to programming the CORE systems, or any other security problems in the UNIX/LINUX enviroments.

Please which is the best language PATH to achieve my goals. Thanks in advance for any anwsers.

Hi good one being interested in security, it is a really interesting field of which I have some experience. It depends on what you want to do in security but if you want to be able to write buffer overflow exploits you are going to need some knowledge in C, and it also wouldn't hurt to learn some ASM at least on the theoretical level so you can tell whats going on at the memory register level. An excellent resource for information on this is this book The Art of Exploitation Also the Linux kernal is written in C. K & R do a great introductory C book ANSI C which I would recommend as a starting point.

Other notable languages for security guys are Python and Perl oh and Bash scripting too. You will meet that many different challanges along the way that you will have to be a swiss army knife of tricks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1