2 Replies - 1134 Views - Last Post: 26 September 2012 - 05:43 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Writing to Console in MASM

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:35 PM

In class, we use the Irvine32 library. To write to a console, we need only call Write__ and the type. My instructor briefly showed us a simple hello world with nasm, because this was the language he used in the industry (he's kind of learning masm along with us), and within the program he used interrupts to write to the console. Am I able to do this with masm? Every example independent of Irvine has been done by calling windows functions, which I do not want to do.

This post has been edited by goodsir: 25 September 2012 - 07:36 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Writing to Console in MASM

#2 GunnerInc  Icon User is online

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Writing to Console in MASM

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:14 PM

You do understand that using DOS interupts are a tremendous pain in the ass right? Code that uses DOS interupts will NOT work on modern OS's (anything newer than XP I believe) without an emulator, even then, not everything works correctly. You need to use and deal with segments, less memory, no way to easily do anything. Stick with using the Windows API functions. You don't need to use the Irvine library either, if you wanted to, you could look at the irvine source to see how it is done. Why do you want to go "backwards" if you are learning 32 bit Assembly?

Ralph Brown has an interupt list, you can find the link to his page here: http://www.dreaminco...etting-started/
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Writing to Console in MASM

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:43 PM

View PostGunnerInc, on 26 September 2012 - 03:14 PM, said:

You do understand that using DOS interupts are a tremendous pain in the ass right? Code that uses DOS interupts will NOT work on modern OS's (anything newer than XP I believe) without an emulator, even then, not everything works correctly. You need to use and deal with segments, less memory, no way to easily do anything. Stick with using the Windows API functions. You don't need to use the Irvine library either, if you wanted to, you could look at the irvine source to see how it is done. Why do you want to go "backwards" if you are learning 32 bit Assembly?

Ralph Brown has an interupt list, you can find the link to his page here: http://www.dreaminco...etting-started/

No, I didn't understand actually :sweatdrop:... I took a look at the library, and while I don't completely understand everything yet, I'm sure that it'll become more clear as i progress. Thanks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1