9 Replies - 15249 Views - Last Post: 27 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

Poll: Do we need ASP.NET (VB) sub-forum? (6 member(s) have cast votes)

Do we need ASP.NET for Visual Basic sub-forum?

1. Yes (4 votes [66.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. No (2 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Do you develop websites with ASP.NET

1. Yes (5 votes [83.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

2. No (1 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. I would, if there would be more tutorials on how to do it with VB.NET (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• Friend lucky3 As IHelpable
  • member icon

• View blog

Do we need ASP.NET (VB) sub-forum?

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:34 AM

In ASP.NET (especially MVC), there are mainly C# oriented discussions, and that is the reason why I'm posting this in VB.NET sub-forum. In my opinion, this topic is of VB.NET developers concern.

It seems like almost nobody develops asp.net websites with VB.NET, and there is close to none written material on how to do it with VB.NET (except basics, intro/getting started web based tutorials). I couldn't find a single book on building MVC 3 (or 4) structured ASP.NET website, dedicated to only VB.NET development.

Although I have no trouble learning it with C#, I still prefer Visual Basic syntax, and that is the reason I'd love to see a VB.NET dedicated sub-forum for ASP.NET development.

What are your thoughts?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Do we need ASP.NET (VB) sub-forum?

• Perfectly Squared ;)
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Do we need ASP.NET (VB) sub-forum?

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:44 AM

View Postlucky3, on 26 September 2012 - 03:04 PM, said:

It seems like almost nobody develops asp.net websites with VB.NET, and there is close to none written material on how to do it with VB.NET (except basics, intro/getting started web based tutorials). I couldn't find a single book on building MVC 3 (or 4) structured ASP.NET website, dedicated to only VB.NET development.

Well, I would like to agree with you on that as I too find that there are more tutorials based on ASP.NET as compared to VB.NET and that is probably why people decide to go with ASP.NET.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:55 AM

It seems like almost nobody develops asp.net websites with VB.NET,

I do.

Heck I even had a book review on it:
http://www.dreaminco...ng-with-vb2010/

Sites that come up on it:
http://www.asp.net/m...to-aspnet-mvc-3
http://www.asp.net/m...mvc-application

Although I have no trouble learning it with C#, I still prefer Visual Basic syntax, and that is the reason I'd love to see a VB.NET dedicated sub-forum for ASP.NET development.

That's the reason right there... ASP.NET in VB or C# are nearly identical in functionality the only massive difference *IS* that syntax and, unfortunately, that's not a good enough reason to split the forum. Heck I would just be happy for people putting ASP.NET code _in_ the asp.net subforum instead of: software dev, mobile, web dev, javascript, or vb6. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:15 AM

Plus it isn't that to translate c# in vb.net.

Step 0: Option Strict On

c# is type variable expression;
vb.net is Dim variable As type = expression

C# is statement orientated and case-sensitive, whilst vb.net is generally line orientated (implicit line continuations has blurred that distinction) and case-insensitive.

Examples
int x = 0;

Dim x As Integer = 0 ' or '
Dim x = 0 ' With Option Infer On'

The basic looping constructs.
c#
for(int x=0; x< limit; x++)
{
 /* stuff to loop over */
}

Which basically means;-
for( {initial value}; {continue while this true}; {how increment looped value).
Or for the more observant of you, it's a While-Loop just arranged differently.
int x=0;
while (x < limit )
{ 
 x++;
}

For value = startAt To EndAt Step IncrementBy
  'code'
Next 

Basic Conditional Statements
if( boolean_condition )
{
}
else
{
} 

start with the finding the matching outer most braces.
If boolean_Condition Then

Else

End If 

And you notice it's essentially

{condition expression} {boolean_condition} Then
 {code statements}
End  {condition expression}

Generics
C# < T >
vb.net (Of T)

Lambdas

C# var doubles = numbers.Select( x => x * 2 )
vb.net Dim doubles = numbers.Select( Function(x) x * 2)

Conclusions & Observations

Learn the grammar and style of the basic fundamental coding structure, in each langauge and you most of the way there. Since both target the .net frameworks, how they use them is essentially the same. The biggest stumbling block is cause from coder using the evil Default Forms that designers reluctantly included to appease the lazy to learn vb6 developers. Also is their mentality of using GUI elements as data stores, and not creating custom objects, and classes.

This post has been edited by AdamSpeight2008: 26 September 2012 - 07:28 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:09 AM

Modi and Adam, I agree with you both (@Modi: I can see how frustrating must be sometimes with those "I don't know what programming language am I using here, so I'll just post it to this forum" kind of topics). It is true that translating from C# to VB.NET is easy, and as I stated, I have no trouble with C# syntax. Learning another programing language is just a plus for a programmer, but (and there is always a but behind ;) ) at the same time it is also true, that not everyone has time or will, or desire to learn additional programming language.

Don't you think that (beside additional moderating trouble) VB flavored ASP.NET sub-forum, wouldn't increase its developer count? If you look at it from strict C# developer side, they are never "forced" to translate something from VB.NET for the same reasons. In my view, VB deserves the same "rights" as C# :) I really like VB syntax much more, and that is the main reason for me (it is why I don't like to develop sites in PHP (although I toy with it from it's 3.0 version), and am learning ASP.NET for example).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:16 AM

It's not an issue of rights, but an issue of slicing and dicing a topic up to an ineffective manner. Sure the ASP.NET world is dominated by C#, but the ASP.NET subforum isn't just c# specific. It's open up to everyone because honestly when you have an ASP.NET problem it is rarely syntax orientated, right? It's an ideological or conceptual ASP.NET issue. Syntax be darned and such. What is garnered from making a syntax specific segregation in ASP.NET. I don't see a benefit.

Now if you want to go post things in Vb.NET for ASP.NET - go a head.

You really need to get over this Otherization bias when splitting hairs on syntax in ASP.NET - everyone under the ASP.NET umbrella are on the same team but with just a wee difference in dialect!

Don't you think that (beside additional moderating trouble) VB flavored ASP.NET sub-forum, wouldn't increase its developer count?

No, I don't see how that would work. The subforum encompasses both C# and VB.NET. The weight towards C# is just a world-community thing and as such is reflected in people's comments.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:24 AM

modi123_1 you convinced me with:

It's not an issue of rights, but an issue of slicing and dicing a topic up to an ineffective manner.
, and passiveness of other VB.NET sub-forum users added the needed weight to support your words. Now I see why you said it so, and experience here is definitively on your side, so I'll admit it: You were right!

I'll be happy to join discussions with other C# flavored ASP.NET developers in dedicated part of this community site, when needed to (and it is already ;) )
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:17 AM

Again - if you want to write your back end ASP.NET in VB.NET - go a head. No one is stopping you. No need ot throw it out just to be cool and fit in with the C#'ers. As I said - eventually everyone gets used to vacillating between the syntax and it just becomes an "ASP.NET question".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:56 AM

Yeah, I intend to stay with VB.NET, and I don't see the urge to switch. If there will be one, than no problem either. I started with Professional ASP.NET MVC3 from Wrox, and also bought Pro ASP.NET MVC3 Framework from Apress. Murach's book is more controls oriented, and was unavailable via PayPal, they didn't respond to my email either, so I went ahead with those 2. I was in dilemma whether to start with WebForms oriented book, or MVC. I'm more OOP kind of programmer, and I like to have my objects as loosely coupled as I can, and application layered to data/business/UI. I also like Orchard platform, and it's similarity with WordPress on one hand, and possibility of doing my own "stuff" on it. So, I guess, MVC was the natural choice. BTW I intend to go at least one of those 2 books cover to cover, and am saving all my projects by chapters in VB.NET code. I also save my observations, and will share them in some form, if I'll find them useful for others when I'm done with the books. For example: I noticed I couldn't overload functions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Peasant
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

I will have to say I like where things are right now. It's not too difficult to convert C# to VB.Net and vice verse. Honestly if it is of any complexity what so ever, pick up a java book, dig into java for a few days, and then dive into C# with your VB.Net knowledge. You'll feel right at home I promise. I'm just glad that if someone didn't write it in VB.Net, that they wrote it in C# or Java if it's that difficult to find a working example of something in VB.Net.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1