Should I get Windows 8

• (2 Pages)
  • +

27 Replies - 4867 Views - Last Post: 08 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Should I get Windows 8

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:17 PM

So I'm a student, studying Computer Games Programming.
And advantage of being a student is I can get software early, and free. This includes Windows 8. I have it ready on a disk.

I use my computer for creating YouTube videos, programming, gaming and internet junk.
Also I'm currently running Windows 7.

Everything I've heard on Windows 8 seems to be bad, so I was wondering if it would be a good idea for me to move to Windows 8 or keep 7.. Or even go to a different OS completely.

Thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Should I get Windows 8

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Should I get Windows 8

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:19 PM

Why not dual boot or use a virtual machine? I've been working more in Win8 and hadn't had a real problem yet.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:23 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 26 September 2012 - 10:19 PM, said:

Why not dual boot or use a virtual machine?

I tried dual booting once in the past, I couldn't figure it out.
But that's the past.

I might look into dual booting and give Win8 a test for myself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:24 PM

View Postoyyou, on 26 September 2012 - 11:23 PM, said:

I tried dual booting once in the past, I couldn't figure it out.

We can suggest it to you. We can't comprehend it for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:31 PM

POPULAR

Upgrading for the sake of upgrading is silly. Unless you have some mad urge to always try out the latest stuff. (Which I completely understand.)

Read up on what Windows 8 has to offer. If you find something worth the trouble of upgrading, then go ahead and upgrade. If not, why bother? (And beware of official Microsoft info. They want you to upgrade, and they'll say just about anything to make that happen.)

Windows 7 is not going anywhere any time soon. Microsoft will keep maintaining it for years, just like they have been doing with XP and Vista.

Everything I've heard on Windows 8 seems to be bad...

Don't pay that too much attention. Unless such talk is backed by some reputable sources, it's most likely just the Apple and other anti-Microsoft fanatics making noise, as usual. It always happens when anything new from these big companies is released.
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:02 AM

If you don't want to use a VM, you could partition your hard drive and if you didn't like it, remove the partition. This would be a pain though compaired to a VM, unless you end up liking 8. I might wait until a service pack is released or something.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:27 AM

View Postoyyou, on 27 September 2012 - 06:17 AM, said:

Everything I've heard on Windows 8 seems to be bad

EUHgoruhurewoguwenh

Try it yourself.

I've been using it since the Consumer Preview and despite a (huge) glitch with the Release Preview which I solved and shared with the world, I've had no issues at all!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:30 AM

From the windows 8 we have at work we noticed 1 large security issue with it....

Passwords show instead of the ***** and they are stored by the windows unless you new session it.

Though I like seeing my password when I enter it-- the mortgage industry does not
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:27 AM

I would try to figure out the dual booting or the VM. If you can't figure that out then I'm not so sure "Computer games programming" is a good idea..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:31 AM

View PostDarenR, on 27 September 2012 - 01:30 PM, said:

Passwords show instead of the ***** and they are stored by the windows unless you new session it.

Where abouts? I've never seen this.

There is a button in each password field that you can press to temporarily reveal your password, but this is to assist tablet users to get their passwords correctly first time. By default they're still hidden unless you've changed something fundamental.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:48 AM

View PostRudiVisser, on 27 September 2012 - 10:31 AM, said:

View PostDarenR, on 27 September 2012 - 01:30 PM, said:

Where abouts? I've never seen this.

There is a button in each password field that you can press to temporarily reveal your password, but this is to assist tablet users to get their passwords correctly first time. By default they're still hidden unless you've changed something fundamental.

yes this is true but for some reason the awesome mortgage industry thinks this is bad idea and a security risk-----I find it kinda funny since banks break all their own rules all the time
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:02 AM

View PostDarenR, on 27 September 2012 - 03:48 PM, said:

yes this is true but for some reason the awesome mortgage industry thinks this is bad idea and a security risk-----I find it kinda funny since banks break all their own rules all the time

Well in that case, a simple trip to Group Policy would disable the feature entirely :)

On Windows 8 and later, if the "Do not display the reveal password button" policy setting located in Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Credential User Interface is enabled for the system, it will override this policy setting.

This post has been edited by RudiVisser: 27 September 2012 - 08:03 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:07 AM

View Postoyyou, on 27 September 2012 - 01:17 AM, said:

Everything I've heard on Windows 8 seems to be bad

I've read nothing but complaints about ios6 for Apple devices. Talked to my cousin yesterday, & he couldn't stop ranting & raving about improvements to the GPS.

Bad publicity is the most common your going to get. No one rushes to the internet to tell you how great something is. They rush to their blog to bash the crap out of a product, because it make them feel powerful, imo.

So you read bad stuff about it. Great. Does this bad stuff directly effect how you plan to use it?

Anytime anyone ever complained about how horrible Windows ME was, I always asked for an example. I don't recall anyone ever having an intelligent specific. It's one of those things that if you can say something is 'crap' or is 'horrible', then the complainer seems that much more intelligent about the subject. Again, imo.

Also, your first item listed was 'making YouTube videos'. So your question to us is should you use Windows 8. My question to you would be "Does your software that you use to make videos run on Windows 8?". There are many hidden specifics in your post, that makes it damn near impossible to accurately answer your question. If you can be content with a canned answer, I'd just as simply say "no, don't use it", just to stay in the clear of any compatibility issues you might face from the upgrade.

Lastly, this topic really has no place in corner cubicle, & really should be in our computer support sub forum. I'll move it there.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:40 PM

View Postcgren72, on 27 September 2012 - 06:02 AM, said:

If you don't want to use a VM, you could partition your hard drive and if you didn't like it, remove the partition. This would be a pain though compaired to a VM, unless you end up liking 8. I might wait until a service pack is released or something.

Or drop another hard drive in your PC. Use that for Win8, easy peasy. If you don't like it, format the Win8 drive and use it for video storage.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:36 PM

Yep. Get Windows 8. It's time to move forward, and since you have it easy, go for it. It's not like you cannot ever re-install windows 7...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +