Should I get Windows 8

• (2 Pages)
  • +

27 Replies - 5143 Views - Last Post: 08 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Should I get Windows 8

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:24 PM

This is just from my experience using Windows 8 on a custom build I have and an HP touchsmart (Windows 8 runs great on a touch screen):

I'd recommend dual booting, at least give Windows 8 a shot. I really have liked using it so far, it's noticeably faster, after you get used to it!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:05 AM

View PostAtli, on 27 September 2012 - 12:31 AM, said:

Upgrading for the sake of upgrading is silly. Unless you have some mad urge to always try out the latest stuff. (Which I completely understand.)

Read up on what Windows 8 has to offer...

Don't pay that too much attention [to bad reviews online]. Unless such talk is backed by some reputable sources, it's most likely just the Apple and other anti-Microsoft fanatics making noise, as usual. It always happens when anything new from these big companies is released.

This. My laptop (and only home computer) runs Vista. I have Win 7 at work. My laptop works and does the home tasks I ask of it so I see no reason to pay to upgrade it at this time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:50 AM

I am using it myself as my main OS, I really recommend upgrading!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:31 AM

I'm using it as my main OS right now, simply because I want to get ahead getting some windows 8 apps out there before there become a lot, when the main version is released. If you don't NEED it for something or like being on the bleeding edge, I wouldn't recommend upgrading just yet. Wait for there to be service packs or driver fixes first.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:58 AM

View PostRobin19, on 28 September 2012 - 12:05 PM, said:

View PostAtli, on 27 September 2012 - 12:31 AM, said:

Upgrading for the sake of upgrading is silly. Unless you have some mad urge to always try out the latest stuff. (Which I completely understand.)

Read up on what Windows 8 has to offer...

Don't pay that too much attention [to bad reviews online]. Unless such talk is backed by some reputable sources, it's most likely just the Apple and other anti-Microsoft fanatics making noise, as usual. It always happens when anything new from these big companies is released.

This. My laptop (and only home computer) runs Vista. I have Win 7 at work. My laptop works and does the home tasks I ask of it so I see no reason to pay to upgrade it at this time.

I loved Vista, after the service packs. I wish I still had it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:18 PM

Go for it if you're bored of Windows 7. It's probably a little nicer even in the non-Metro (desktop) area. Maybe you could get a head start on developing Metro games or something? But if you're happy with Windows 7, don't change anything.

Although I see Microsoft's rationale for heading the tablet direction, I would actually use Windows if they focused on making the operating system better. It's not great right now; Linux distributions and their UIs are starting to rival Windows. I admire Windows 7 for its usability, and I think Microsoft could be very successful if they focused on this and aesthetics more. I think they could really rival Mac OS in terms of usability and elegance if they just put their resources into it. Honestly, I think Apple and Android will continue to dominate the tablet/smartphone market. It just bothers me that FREE alternatives are superior to Windows in lots of ways, and Microsoft spends a year making a cute little superfluous interface on top of Windows 7. Windows should really be the most advanced PC OS at this point, but it's not...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#22 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:21 PM

Linux distributions and their UIs are starting to rival Windows.

If you mean be more OSX-ish then sure..

Windows should really be the most advanced PC OS at this point, but it's not...

I would disagree with that statement.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:42 PM

Windows should really be the most advanced PC OS at this point, but it's not...

Why would they bother to do that? All that would do is cost them money. At the moment they just need to go far enough to make the latest Windows appear good enough to pass as a new OS. Most people pretty much have no choice but to buy it when they get a new computer. (And they wouldn't usually buy an upgrade for an old computer, even if it was a major improvement.)

What we need is a Firefox-like OS. And I'm not talking about a Linux distro with a Firefox logo, but an OS that will be to Windows like what Firefox is to IE. Something that would motivate Microsoft to get of their rich asses and make an upgrade worth the effort.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:44 PM

If you have the chance to use Windows 8, I would definitely say do it. There are a ton of improvements and additions, and an entirely new app environment (you still have the Desktop). All my applications that I used on Windows 7 run just fine on Windows 8, never had problems with Steam and associated games either. Photoshop and Premiere work fine too. So does Visual Studio (2010 + 2012).

As a better option, instead of a "full" (separate partition) dual boot, I would recommend starting with the VHD method. Scott Hanselman has a pretty good explanation on how to do it here.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:52 AM

Well, if you're not sure you can give it a try first.
1. virtualization (Virtual Box or VMWare)
2. dual boot using VHDs (as far as I know this is available in Ultimate and Enterprise editions of Windows 7 and 8)
3. actual dual boot (installing Windows 8 on another partition - as a general rule the newer OS is installed AFTER the older one but considering that Windows 8 is in fact Windows 7 shouldn't be a problem)
4. installing Windows 8 on a USB stick:
- install Windows Automated Installation Kit (AIK)
- insert/mount Windows 8 DVD/ISO and start Deployment Tools Command Prompt
- locate install.wim & bcdboot.exe on your DVD/iso
- type: imagex.exe /apply install.wim 1 h: (I copied install.wim on my HDD so I didn't have to navigate to the actual location of the file but you'll have to type the full path; H is the USB drive)
- when done type: bcdboot.exe h:\windows /s h: /f all (you'll need to use bcdboot.exe from the DVD, not the one you have on Windows 7 as Windows 7 does not support /f all args - at least it didn't work for me)
---------
The problem with 1 & 2 is that it increases the degree of you C:\ drive fragmentation very much and somehow I found it easier to have a special partition for virtualization especially when you use that a lot.
However, if all you want is Windows 8, creating a partition just for that is silly unless you plan on actual dual boot.
---------
On the other hand, I suggest you don't believe what everybody says and give it a try yourself. I was really skeptical about Windows 8 especially because of the Metro interface but if you can ignore that you'll find that Windows 8 is a good OS (based on what I've seen so far). And if you still don't like Metro and miss the Start button, Start8 & Skip Metro Suite will do the trick (assuming you don't write Metro apps that need real testing).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:24 AM

In my opinion Windows 8 isn't going to crush something. And I can't see the reasons to not switch to it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:38 AM

Check Your System are Compatable with window 8 or Not.Windows 8 Requires Some Special Hardware Requirement.Check Your Computer Hardware Configration.and Then Install Windows 8 in Your System.

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 06 October 2012 - 10:39 AM
Reason for edit:: removed silly self quote

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

If you like the interface better than W7 I'd suggest using it. For me, I hardly DISLIKE the interface, won't see me use W8 or any simular OS. Also I don't like the fact that your desktop lost A LOT OF functions and that it not used as 'homescreen' if you know what I mean :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +