3 Replies - 715 Views - Last Post: 30 September 2012 - 12:34 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Request for information on racing game

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:25 AM

Hello, I'm looking to create a game in the kind of style of f-zero x. the thing im enquiring about is how would i go about creating the scrolling map which scrolls "as your driving" towards you (if you get my wording).

just need pointed in the right direction as to where i could get a tutorial such as this, i believe its 3D, which i have not tackled yet, but think something like this would give me a good challange if i could get information on what type of scrolling this would be etc.

Thanks,
d0nni

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Request for information on racing game

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Request for information on racing game

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:21 PM

ok so i have found out what im looking to do is pseudo-3d. any ideas on where i would find any tutorials on how to do this in the form of a racing game
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:24 AM

There are some elements of that that are pseudo 3D, but I believe the track itself is actually 3D.

If you had full control of the pixels, you could draw the track and the ground procedurally. Even then you would likely use a spline to shape the track. But most everything is done with sprites these days. Seems to me it would be 100 times easier to just do the track in actual 3D.

I don't know of any web tutorials on this off the top of my head.

I think you are going to have to use Catmull-Rom to build the spline for the track.

This book explains how to do it in full 3D.

http://www.amazon.co...ds=xna+4.0+sean

I think the primary difference in the example you've shown is that the cars are pseudo 3D.

We just had a discussion on Catmull-Rom a couple of days ago. I made an example program that creates a track and has a ship that follows the track. It was in 2D, but the concept is basically the same in 3D.

That example was really to create an invisible track. But to make a visible track with some width, you just extend the concept to use the nodes of the spline created to add vertices that turn the space in between the nodes into quads (squares) which gives the track width.

http://www.dreaminco...a-bezier-curve/

Anyway that may give you some things to think about.

This post has been edited by BBeck: 29 September 2012 - 05:29 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:34 PM

what im looking to do is make it like a mode 7 type of game. dont really want to go for full 3d as such yet.

im struggling to find even some sample code to look at to help wrap my head around what im looking to do.

even if i could get a tutorial of a mario kart style of game or something to that effect.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1