2 Replies - 732 Views - Last Post: 27 September 2012 - 09:21 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

UNABLE TO HEAR MUSIC SET IN <BGSOUND>

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:54 PM

I HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO HEAR ANY MUSIC WHEN OTHERS HAVE SET THEIR MP3 FILES OR WAV WITH <BGSOUND>. WHAT COULD BE CAUSING THIS PROBLEM? WHEN I SET MY MP3 MUSIC UP, I USE <EMBED>. I HAVE NO PROBLEM HEARING THE MUSIC. IS THERE ANY OTHER WAY TO CORRECT THIS OR IS THERE ANOTHER WAY IN WHICH I CAN USE ANOTHER TYPE OF MP3 SETUP?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: UNABLE TO HEAR MUSIC SET IN <BGSOUND>

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: UNABLE TO HEAR MUSIC SET IN <BGSOUND>

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:05 PM

First of all, why are you yelling at us?

Second, the BGSOUND element is non-standard, and you should avoid using it. Any EMBED solution would be dependent on 3rd party plugins, like the WMP or VLC plugins, to work, which is not a very reliable way to include music into your site.

The two half-decent solutions to playing audio on a website are:

• Flash. The Flash plugin is no doubt the most widely used 3rd party plugin on the web. You can use that to play audio files, including MP3.

• The HTML5 <audio> element. It's relatively new, but all the latest browsers support it. The only two problems with this element is that a lot of people are using old IE versions, which doesn't support it. The element is also dependent on the browser itself for audio format support, and as MP3 is not a free format, Open-Source browsers like Firefox can't support it. - However, you can supply multiple versions of the same file using the <audio> element, so you can cover all the popular browsers. Using MP3 and Vorbis, I believe, will cover all the 5 major browsers.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: UNABLE TO HEAR MUSIC SET IN <BGSOUND>

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:21 PM

Thank you so much for the lead into HTML5. I found what I was looking for, and possibly even more.

This post has been edited by Dormilich: 27 September 2012 - 10:20 PM
Reason for edit:: removed unnecessary quote

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1