Life Hacking

• (4 Pages)
  • +

55 Replies - 4001 Views - Last Post: 02 October 2012 - 01:02 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Life Hacking

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:25 AM

I agree, but techniques like moving your finger faster than you could pronounce the word help to improve reading speeds. Stuff like that could be done in everyday, and from what I understand speed reading is not meant to make you concentrate more on what you are reading, it is meant to allow you to read it faster.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#17 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:29 AM

What sort of person leaves the house without their bag?

.. what about those of us who don't have bags? Pockets or not at all..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:33 AM

You need to buy a satchel. They're uber manly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#19 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:36 AM

@ytry - You don't read a whole lot, do you? I don't know anyone who actually reads books who's interested in reading faster - they're usually too busy reading books to waste their time on stuff like that.

This post has been edited by jon.kiparsky: 30 September 2012 - 12:36 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#20 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:44 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 30 September 2012 - 02:29 AM, said:

What sort of person leaves the house without their bag?

.. what about those of us who don't have bags? Pockets or not at all..

Get a bag. That was simple, wasn't it?

This post has been edited by jon.kiparsky: 30 September 2012 - 12:44 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#21 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:45 AM

The question is more along the lines of "Why do I need a bag, or should operate under the paradigm that a bag is necessary for me to leave the house?". ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:45 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 30 September 2012 - 12:36 AM, said:

@ytry - You don't read a whole lot, do you? I don't know anyone who actually reads books who's interested in reading faster - they're usually too busy reading books to waste their time on stuff like that.

And what about those people who are forced to read material? Do you think they'll be so engrossed in their textbook they won't notice that it took them two hours to read the required sections?

This post has been edited by creativecoding: 30 September 2012 - 12:59 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:18 AM

First, good tips here. B9 and jon have made the excellent point that nothing helps if your whole life is fucked anyway, and kudos all around for it. But the whole point of this isn't to replace buckling down and getting shit done; it's the methods you use to do exactly that. Speed reading isn't a replacement for concentration, it's a way of intensely concentrating so that you don't end up doing the same work twice (going back over what you've already read) or too slowly for no practical reason. The same goes with meditation (exercising the muscles you're using when you concentrate on work, and giving them a good stretch to keep them from cramping), or using Pomos or whatever.

None of this is instead of busting ass; all of this facilitates the efficiency of the busting, while preserving the condition of said ass.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:13 AM

I find being organized is really the only "hack" I need most of the time. For example, this is my kitchen:

Attached Image

Each box has a label on the front. Inside each lid is a list of what is in the box.

Of the two baskets, one holds office supplies (I don't have an official office work area at home) and the other holds organizational supplies.

My cupboards are much the same way. Each shelf has a designated purpose. Inside the doors are labels indicating what goes on what shelf. Since everyone in my house can read at a minimum 8th grade level, I expect things to be put away properly.

On the freezer door hangs my calendar, the weekly menu board, the grocery list, the "WTF do I need today?" chart organized by person and day of the week (ie, one kid has band practice on Tuesdays, other kid needs to remember library books on Wednesdays, I have to pay the rent on Monday, etc, etc), and a clip full of things that need a home - right now it's a card my kid made for her grandmother, it'll be delivered this afternoon... other times, it's envelopes for bills that are ready for the mail or a permission slip I need to sign for the kids or information on an event we're attending. There's also a dry erase eraser hanging there that doubles as an implement holder (fully loaded with a pen and a dry erase marker at all times).

The fridge door is kid zone. This is their area to hang whatever bizarre pictures they've drawn this week... right now there's the Cat in the Hat, some very abstract flowers, and my 9-year-old's mental image of Satan as a naked, red cat (creepy, I know).

My whole house is like this. I'm even trying to force my kids to use my anal retentive organization methods. They are resistant little pack rats.

I find that maintaining this level of organization from the beginning frees up enough time that I don't have to learn to speed read because I have time to read at a normal pace.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#25 CasiOo  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:00 AM

LABEL EVERYTHING

what a nightmare :ph34r:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:03 AM

Not really. Once it's labeled, stick to the label. Don't put something in a spot that isn't labeled for it and you never have to change the label.

A place for everything and everything in its place.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#27 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:49 AM

View PostChoscura, on 30 September 2012 - 03:18 AM, said:

But the whole point of this isn't to replace buckling down and getting shit done; it's the methods you use to do exactly that. Speed reading isn't a replacement for concentration, it's a way of intensely concentrating so that you don't end up doing the same work twice (going back over what you've already read) or too slowly for no practical reason. The same goes with meditation (exercising the muscles you're using when you concentrate on work, and giving them a good stretch to keep them from cramping), or using Pomos or whatever.

None of this is instead of busting ass; all of this facilitates the efficiency of the busting, while preserving the condition of said ass.

The problem is that just like with any self-help technique, the pursuit of tricks to live your life by can easily replace the living of your life. The time you spend getting ready to live is time you spend not living. The time you spend learning to speed-read is time you're not spending just reading.

These things are supposed to give you more life to live, not consume your life. If the pursuit of "life hacks" is a hobby for you, then I suggest you're doing it wrong.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#28 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:34 AM

Spooky - that looks like like my kitchen cabinets and stove. Whatcha doing in my areas labeling my shitz?!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#29 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:37 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 30 September 2012 - 02:45 AM, said:

The question is more along the lines of "Why do I need a bag, or should operate under the paradigm that a bag is necessary for me to leave the house?". ;)

Well, for one thing it's easier to remember the important stuff you're supposed to bring with you - you don't have to pile it up on your shoes. :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:54 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 30 September 2012 - 12:34 PM, said:

Spooky - that looks like like my kitchen cabinets and stove. Whatcha doing in my areas labeling my shitz?!

I pretty sure they're standard install in every apartment for the last 20 years.

"Hey, Bob, we's gonna build some new 'partments."

"Ok, Steve, we gots a shitload of more of them there white cabinets we'll sell you real cheap."
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +