55 Replies - 5173 Views - Last Post: 02 October 2012 - 01:02 PM

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Life Hacking

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:15 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 30 September 2012 - 08:49 AM, said:

(...)

The problem is that just like with any self-help technique, the pursuit of tricks to live your life by can easily replace the living of your life. The time you spend getting ready to live is time you spend not living. The time you spend learning to speed-read is time you're not spending just reading.

These things are supposed to give you more life to live, not consume your life. If the pursuit of "life hacks" is a hobby for you, then I suggest you're doing it wrong.

I've never heard of life hacks consuming someones life. If there's a way to wake up earlier, you just saved time. If there's a good way to organize, you just saved time. If you just learned a way to read faster, you just saved time. All of these life hacks take maybe a minute to learn, 10 to setup/master. If for whatever reason a life hack doesn't work and you wasted 10 minutes... Well, you're on the internet. Wasting 10 minutes is something you can afford.

Here's another life hack. If you trust yourself, use cash more than a card. I usually do this when I'm going somewhere and I have a limited budget. The physical appear of money really helps you consider whether or not that you are buying is worth it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#32 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:26 PM

View Postcreativecoding, on 30 September 2012 - 02:15 PM, said:

I've never heard of life hacks consuming someones life. If there's a way to wake up earlier, you just saved time. If there's a good way to organize, you just saved time. If you just learned a way to read faster, you just saved time. All of these life hacks take maybe a minute to learn, 10 to setup/master. If for whatever reason a life hack doesn't work and you wasted 10 minutes... Well, you're on the internet. Wasting 10 minutes is something you can afford.

I've seen plenty of people who spend their time flitting from one self-help fad to another. I see no reason why pursuing "life hacks" for their own sake - as opposed to looking for solutions to specific problems, or coming across neat ideas in passing - wouldn't do the same.
Again, if looking for solutions becomes a hobby, this is a problem.

Here's another life hack. If you trust yourself, use cash more than a card. I usually do this when I'm going somewhere and I have a limited budget. The physical appear of money really helps you consider whether or not that you are buying is worth it.

I do this. At the start of the week, I pull out the money I plan to spend on ordinary expenses and put it in my wallet. It definitely keeps my spending within a fixed limit.

#mugmeonaMonday
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

I dont agree/do any life hacks (well not as far as I know), but I recently heard a funny one which I have to try out. If you have no speakers, you can put them headphones that sit in your ear, each up one nostril. Then when you open your mouth, apparantly it acts like a speaker. I am so trying this on the train tomorrow.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#34 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:31 PM

POPULAR

Don't you just know someone out there was sitting around thinking "I wonder if I can get a bunch of strangers to stick their earbuds up their nose..." -- and they came up with this.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:03 AM

So... I sleep when I am tired, everything else else help me not. At home.
At work I have really low freedom so I just jump on different projects forums awhile drinking yet another cup of lazy tea, that's all I can do so far.

This post has been edited by Net Cemeteries: 01 October 2012 - 02:04 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:16 AM

Don't you just know someone out there was sitting around thinking "I wonder if I can get a bunch of strangers to stick their earbuds up their nose..." -- and they came up with this.

Unfortunately, with the internet and especially social media, people will believe what they read. And because so many people believe what they read, what is in essense a load of crap has the ability to become a fact. If I posted on my facebook wall "studies have shown that rubbing dog poo over your body reduces the aging process", I bet you atleast one of my female friends will do it. Same with life hacks, because enough people see it and believe it, it becomes reality. Although a lot of life hacks have a general purpose such as saving you space etc, I am refering to ones like I posted above. (I am so tempted to post that on my facebook, lol)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:08 AM

Another good life hack is to put a wooden spoon over a pot of boiling water or boiling noodles, so that when the water starts the boil and the bubbles foam up then the spoon breaks the foam so it doesn't boil over.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#38 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:23 AM

That's what your finger is for.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:28 AM

View PostBenignDesign, on 30 September 2012 - 01:58 AM, said:

I'm glad someone else said it first so I didn't have to be the bad guy. It sounds like a lot of bullshit to me.

It kind of reminds me of... life, really. If you want to change something, you'll change it. With or without a "life hack".

Personally, I've found the best way to find all my stuff every morning is to put it away in the first place. My sneakers are always by the door. My slippers are always next to the bed. My other shoes are always put away neatly in the closet. If one day I can't find them because there's crap piled on top of them, I don't need a life hack. I need to get off my ass and clean my house.

And as Jon said, if you put your stuff IN your bag, you don't have to worry about forgetting it on the table. My bag hangs on a hook on the back of the door so it's always the last thing I see as I'm headed out of the house... I grab it, toss it over my shoulder, and head out.

It's really not that hard.

yes and no

yes if works out this way ---
no because it seems no matter where I put my stuff -- the wife thinks it belongs somewhere else....in other words she moves my stuff and never tells me so I am always looking for it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#40 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:29 AM

POPULAR

Well, that's easy enough. Get a different wife.
Was This Post Helpful? 7
  • +
  • -

#41 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:06 AM

Life hack tip #56: Remember - there can always be a wife 2.0!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:15 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 01 October 2012 - 11:06 AM, said:

Life hack tip #56: Remember - there can always be a wife 2.0!

unfortunately unlike coding v2.0 comes with a lot of expenditures
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#43 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:17 AM

So instead, you're looking for good wife hacks?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:37 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 01 October 2012 - 04:17 PM, said:

So instead, you're looking for good wife hacks?

Marry an axe murderer. I'm sure that wife would be good for hacks.

On topic:
The one life hack I'd be interested in is how to stop myself staying awake being paranoid that I'll sleep in because I know it's really important that I get out of bed in a few hours. If I could figure this out, I might actually be able to sleep properly before important occasions.

This post has been edited by Bort: 01 October 2012 - 08:38 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:52 AM

View PostCodeMonkeyZ, on 01 October 2012 - 10:08 AM, said:

Another good life hack is to put a wooden spoon over a pot of boiling water or boiling noodles, so that when the water starts the boil and the bubbles foam up then the spoon breaks the foam so it doesn't boil over.

How is this a "life hack" as opposed to a "Hint from Heloise"?

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +