3 Replies - 1778 Views - Last Post: 08 October 2012 - 09:01 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Bachelor's in Software Development vs Computer Science

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:20 AM

First of all, I apologize for the length of this post.

I need some advice and I think this might be the best place to go for it. Hopefully, you guys can clear up some concerns I have about my major.

I'm currently attending a community college as a Computer Science pre-major. Once I finish up my two years, I'll be heading over to UCF for a bachelor's in Computer Science.

My community college also offers an A.S. degree in Computer Programming and Analysis. This degree mainly focuses on learning different languages and getting more experience with coding in general. You can get the A.S. in Programming and Analysis and go on to UCF and get a bachelor's in Software Development. 2012 is the first year of this program and it is focused on programming and developing software.

The curriculum for both these degrees is completely different. Whereas Software Development focuses on team projects, learning different languages (the core language of the UCF program is Java), testing, integration, design, implementation etc, the computer science curriculum focuses more on the theoretical side of things.

I'm in my mid twenties (i started late) so that contributes to a lot of my stress. I'm very concerned that I'll eventually graduate with a Bachelor's in Computer Science and not have enough experience/knowledge to get a job in the industry. There doesn't seem to be a lot of programming in the Computer Science curriculum. After my C class is done, I'll be taking two courses in Java and that is it. I know I need to be learning in my own time, and I've started to, but I'm still concerned about my future job prospects.

I'm seriously considering switching my major to Programming and Analysis (then getting a bachelor's in Software Development). I feel that with my age and my lack of practical programming experience, this degree would expose to me to more languages and more hands-on experience.

On the other hand, I don't even know if an employer would be impressed with a Software Development degree vs a Computer Science degree. Does it even matter to employers? How much of an impact would that have on a recent graduate's starting salary?

I hope some of this made sense, and I look forward to hearing anyone's opinion or advice. I've been slamming my head against the desk trying to figure out what to do.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Bachelor's in Software Development vs Computer Science

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Re: Bachelor's in Software Development vs Computer Science

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:37 AM

I am of the belief that Software engineering degrees are a massive waste of time. Yeah you will be able to code, but chances are you don't have a clue about what's actually going on when you hit the run button. They also often miss some really important modules in math and data structures that are pretty much essential. But hey that's just me.

Although I do know that at my current place of work I doubt we would even look at someone with a software engineering degree vs computer science. Not really sure why that it, but it has happened before and probably still will.

You seem to be worried that in CompSci you will do little programming. But what's stopping you from practicing outside of class at home. Nothing. You can still practice on your own and ask here if you get stuck on anything.

Good luck
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

I'm sorry for the late reply. I gave some serious thought to what you said, along with some research of my own, and I think you're right. I also reviewed both curriculum's and I think if I start working on building a portfolio now, along with what the school will teach me, I should be okay. And like you said, there is plenty of help from the community if I get stuck with coding something.

Thank you
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:01 AM

take a diploma and get a specific field .. don't waste your time in getting the degree..
Was This Post Helpful? -2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1