4 Replies - 2294 Views - Last Post: 05 October 2012 - 08:00 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Final year project advice for Computer Science

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:24 AM

I am thinking of something that would require extreme use of algorithms.

After some deliberation i am thinking of making a search engine. I have searched the internet and the project seems fairly complex.

another area that seems to be promising is developing application that utilizes distributed computing to solve complex scientific problems.

Any other advice for algorithmic intensive project that would of course increase my marketability ? and as currently i am not in the final year,i have 2 instead of 1 year to complete the project.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Final year project advice for Computer Science

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Final year project advice for Computer Science

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:30 AM

Talk to your supervisor.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:14 PM

Since I'm currently learning about the two, I might as well shed some light on a few options:

Search Engine:

• Indexer - Build a text index. You could probably find a library to do this for you.
  • Crawler - If you wanted to build a web-wide engine, you'll definitely need a crawler. If it was a site-wide engine, you could implement something simple.
  • Ranking System - Some heuristics for ordering pages where several pages may be returned as the result of a search. You could implement a variate of Page Rank.

This playlist is from Coursera's ongoing Web Intelligence course. It does a very good job of explaining conceptually what needs to be done.

Distributed Computing:

You could make parts of the web engine distributed. For instance, you could split a collection of documents to be indexed across multiple machines, or (even better) you could have multiple machines crawling the web. There a few lightweight Map-Reduce platforms available across multiple languages. Map-Reduce is a message passing system designed by Google that makes parallel computing incredibly easy to implement. The Wiki(pedia) alone is enough to teach you how to use it, although it's probably necessary to find a good tutorial. Unfortunately, the playlist (above) doesn't cover distributed computing. A few lightweight implementations are:

Mincemeat (Python)
Octo (Python) - Incredibly slow; don't use this
Akka (Java)
MongoDB (C#)

Hadoop is a full-scale implementation that works atop a distributed file system and noSQL database. It's overkill. From experience, I can tell you Mincemeat is incredibly easy to use, even for a novice with only 2-3 yrs programming experience. Of course, you could also write the framework yourself, but who would do that?

This post has been edited by blackcompe: 30 September 2012 - 02:17 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:53 AM

Thank you guyz for your replies. The thing is that search engine is sort of an old idea. What i was looking for are some new ideas that have heavy algorithm course.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:00 AM

GO with the search engine.. and you can make your own algo.. and let the engine learn form the searches you have made there are many projects available for you on the internet..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1