1 Replies - 634 Views - Last Post: 06 October 2012 - 07:20 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Market and knowledge

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:58 AM

I was thinking about the market, and I don't know exactly what to follow, like, I know a little about c# (if you wanna see what I know(and no, isn't advertising) you can see my game on the windows marketplace (Pesca_Peixe).
I'm 17 years old now, I don't know exactly how to study advanced things in c#/xna, like, network, isometric maps,lambda expressions(is something what I really don't realize how to use). And about how to really make a good money and advertising about a new game what I'm doing and how find patterns to make design. Like, what do you think about make games for windows phone 8(Microsoft said the wp8 will support xna)? or iOS? Is something good to make money ? like, do you think a small game(6 months of prodution) can get a good money?.
Is something what I really don't know, everyone expect of me a lot of money just because I work with programming but I don't know how really is the market of game programming. Thank you for the answers.
P.S.: I'm Brazilian, I'm Living in St.John's, New FoundLand.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Market and knowledge

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Market and knowledge

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:20 AM

I've avoided answering your question because I am not really qualified to answer it; I don't develop for mobile devices such as phones and I haven't tried to sell any apps. That pretty much disqualifies me from most of your question.

However, there are a few things I can say.

I would be a little surprised if XNA works on Windows Phone 8. It works on WP7 from what I've heard. But I doubt it will run on Windows Phone 8. XNA 4.0 (the current version) will run on Windows 8 as a "desktop app". What that means is that it will run as a Windows 7 program in Windows 8. It means it won't run as a Windows 8 app. Windows Phone 8 may allow an XNA game to run as a "desktop app" as well. However, that's not what you want.

For 2D games, they seem to be pushing everyone towards HTML5 for mobile device development. I have my doubts on how smoothly an HTML5 game will run based on what I've seen so far.

Atari has some great new renditions of it's old classics. I "believe" they were done in HTML5. And even as simple as they are they hesitate and don't run smoothly. And that is from a professional game company. (They are huge fun to play though. I never enjoyed Asteroids until I played that version.)

It's "probably" possible to program a 2D game in Windows 8 with C#, but I don't think Microsoft has given really any details on that other than if you use XAML.

This post has been edited by BBeck: 06 October 2012 - 07:21 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1