Using NetBeans

can a normal java file be converted to a project in NetBeans

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 1973 Views - Last Post: 14 June 2007 - 05:35 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Using NetBeans

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:40 PM

Ok, real novice here asking what may be a very simple and silly question.

I am taking a java class in my college and I have an inventory program, created in TextPad, that I need to create a GUI for. Is it possible to use NetBeans to create this GUI, and if so, does anyone know how to get the existing source code from the java files into the new project in netBeans?

I have checked the tutorial from netbeans but cannot seem to find a way of converting regular java files into projects so I can use the GUI creator…

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Using NetBeans

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Using NetBeans

Posted 13 June 2007 - 03:32 PM

View Postdgilmore286, on 13 Jun, 2007 - 12:40 PM, said:

Ok, real novice here asking what may be a very simple and silly question.

I am taking a java class in my college and I have an inventory program, created in TextPad, that I need to create a GUI for. Is it possible to use NetBeans to create this GUI, and if so, does anyone know how to get the existing source code from the java files into the new project in netBeans?

I have checked the tutorial from netbeans but cannot seem to find a way of converting regular java files into projects so I can use the GUI creator…

I haven't used netbeans for awhile because it pissed me off. However, assuming it hasn't changed much:
create a new project
mount a directory (and point it to where your project files are stored)

I don't remember how it dealt with packages, I believe that it treated the mount directory as the current package, and subdirectories as packages (like it should).

I does allow the user to create GUI's but they changed that around sense the last time I used it extensively, and I don't recall off the top of my head where it moved to.

The version I used could not import GUI's created out of the tool. I would be mildly surprised if that changed.

Salindor
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2007 - 03:38 PM

Thank you, I am struggking big time with this fool assignment. I cannot seem to get anything to work right. I will keep struggling though!

Thanks again
D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:46 PM

It can import aplications created out of the tool.
There are more options, but I would mention two:
- if you don't have an ant build file: create an empty project, and copy your files into the source (src?) directory. They are added to your project automatically. Set the main class in the project's properties (or maybe its even possible from the popup menu of the project explorer/navigator/whatever its called).
- if you have an ant build file, then create a project with the new project with existing ant build file (it will ask for the directory that contains the source files, and also for hte build file itself)

Anyway, I would still recommend creating the GUI by hand, its usually easier with a good tutorial (Sun Java Swing tutorials).
Also, I think mounting directories are of the past right now, that only worked in Netbeans 3. Now you can only "mount" jars, but I might be wrong here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:35 AM

I think you are right, building the gui by hand is the way I am going to go. I was just thinking if using the netbeans to get an idea of structuring...

Thank you very much for your advice, it is greatly appreciated.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1