6 Replies - 649 Views - Last Post: 10 October 2012 - 01:20 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Need idea for game development

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:44 PM

Hey

I am new to game development. I have learnt OpenGL and want to make a game.
I have made a simple ball shooting game in which balls randomly appear on the screen and you score points for every ball you shoot.

Please help me. I need an idea for a simple game. Can someone suggest me something?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Need idea for game development

• Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Need idea for game development

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:56 PM

Maybe pong ;) that's a good classic. A simple game is really determined by your skill level. Whether or not its 2D or 3D. Maybe a simple game that you have to kill a boss and to get to the boss you have to go through different levels and kill all the enemy, hence forth the introduction of AI.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:59 AM

If you want to make a simple 3D game, try something like this. That's a game I made for my high school exam project, and the logic is fairly simple. I chose to overcomplicate it by making my own shader, but other than that, it's not complex.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:40 AM

Hello Fellow dev

If you want to make a game, then just keep doing what your doing. I am in game dev myself and when starting off its important to expand your skills, so just keep adding things to your randomly appearing ball game. make the balls move slowly, make them change color, add in sounds, make balls that move towards your character, try to animate something.

In the mean time your mind will be working on a good idea for a game and eventually something will slap you in the face and you will have a good idea, until then just keep learning new skills and start to build a library of code.

Also some people find recreating games like space invaders to be a good exercise, and halfway though you might think of something you want to add yourself and just like that it starts to become your own project.

Good luck
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:30 AM

View PostFunkmachine, on 06 October 2012 - 01:40 PM, said:

Hello Fellow dev

If you want to make a game, then just keep doing what your doing. I am in game dev myself and when starting off its important to expand your skills, so just keep adding things to your randomly appearing ball game. make the balls move slowly, make them change color, add in sounds, make balls that move towards your character, try to animate something.

In the mean time your mind will be working on a good idea for a game and eventually something will slap you in the face and you will have a good idea, until then just keep learning new skills and start to build a library of code.

Also some people find recreating games like space invaders to be a good exercise, and halfway though you might think of something you want to add yourself and just like that it starts to become your own project.

Good luck

At last! Someone who gets it!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:04 PM

Thanks guys
It was really helpfull. I have started working on pong and then will add new things to the ball shooter.

Also how do we add sounds in C++. I tried OpenAL, but the tutorial code of there site does not work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:20 AM

You could use SDL_mixer. It's pretty simple to use.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1