12 Replies - 1127 Views - Last Post: 03 October 2012 - 07:38 AM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Ehhh What to do?

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:57 AM

Hey Everyone,

I need your help. I am running into a life issue where I dont know what I should do, or more so what is right and what is wrong?

I work at a Big Box Retail Store. I have been there for 2 Years now. I like it overall but I feel I can do and be better. I recently was asked to feel an Application out at another job doing Payroll Technical Support for a HUGE company. The Pay would be easily over 2x the much I am getting paid now with a lot of extra benefits.

I did a pro / con list for either way I decided to go and there was no doubt about it but moving on to this new job was really the best option.

Easy right? Well not so much. Just a few days ago I was awarded an achievement at work that is quite remarkable to say the least. I also received a few gifts.

If I do get this new job what do I say to my old one? I don't want to burn a bridge and I feel like crap for leaving because it is in a bad time of the year to do that. Any ideas?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Ehhh What to do?

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Ehhh What to do?

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:00 AM

Moved to Corner Cubicle.

Give your two weeks' written notice to your employer. Keep doing your work in the meantime and tie up your loose ends. Be fair to your current employer and just bide your time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:06 AM

Take the job offer for the new company. If your current work makes a counter offer, don't take it.

Work isn't about making friends, or loyalty to the company. It is the use of your skills to put food on your table, & provide for your family & yourself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:07 AM

macosx said it right. Just because you got gifts and a new gold star on the wall doesn't mean you should continue being shackled. Now.. depending on the gifts (feel free to pm me the list) if you still feel them to be an emotional burden on your conscious then I will solemnly find a home for them and shoulder the burden of the guilty millstone. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:24 AM

LOL @ modi123_1

Thank you guys, I appreciate it!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:35 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 02 October 2012 - 10:06 AM, said:

Take the job offer for the new company. If your current work makes a counter offer, don't take it.

Work isn't about making friends, or loyalty to the company. It is the use of your skills to put food on your table, & provide for your family & yourself.

I know the place I work at the senior guy says he barely makes 50k and complains how he is always broke (2 daughters, wife that doesnt work, house, 2 cars, etc) He been with the company for 8 years and basically runs the entire app. I told him to look for a higher paying job if he doesnt make enough money and he is the appitamy of company loyalty. He said if he leaves no one will be able to run all the things that only he is alllowed to run and might cause the company to fail...(company size 150+ employees)... I told him that his family should come first and he basically scoffed at me...

so in other words dont be that guy that puts the job ahead of his family
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:50 AM

View PostDarenR, on 02 October 2012 - 10:35 AM, said:

He said if he leaves no one will be able to run all the things that only he is alllowed to run and might cause the company to fail...

From the first few statements in your reply, I knew this was going to be the response even before reading it.

Believe it or not, some people complain just to feel better about working hard, or the work they do. The above is a perfect example of someone massaging their own ego. They actually believe that their work is so important that everything rides on them. They don't leave because they feel so incredibly important, & that fills an empty part of their life. It's screwed up, I know. I have a family member that I grew up with & both places they left (once fired, once quit) are doing just find decades after the departure.

"But I don't know how..." is generally the response when pointed out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:17 AM

he is the appitamy of company loyalty

Because we're about education here, the word is epitome.

epitome
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:30 AM

View PostDarenR, on 02 October 2012 - 10:35 AM, said:

View Postno2pencil, on 02 October 2012 - 10:06 AM, said:

I know the place I work at the senior guy says he barely makes 50k and complains how he is always broke (2 daughters, wife that doesnt work, house, 2 cars, etc) He been with the company for 8 years and basically runs the entire app. I told him to look for a higher paying job if he doesnt make enough money and he is the appitamy of company loyalty. He said if he leaves no one will be able to run all the things that only he is alllowed to run and might cause the company to fail...(company size 150+ employees)... I told him that his family should come first and he basically scoffed at me...

so in other words dont be that guy that puts the job ahead of his family

Fortunately I do not have a family because if I did I would be that guy. I realized a few months ago what I was doing and since that period I have been looking for a better job. Retail is rough work, no set weeks, no holidays and the same stuff everyday. I felt burned out and realized that all the work that I have been putting in hasnt gotten me any where. I need to better myself for life and the future.

I have a phone interview tomorrow and then if I get past that part of the screening a Background Check. Ive decided to let my Company know that I will be leaving once I get the solid 100% confirmation that Ive gotten the job and to provide them the benefit of countering it (which I know they cant).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:00 AM

There's a basic rule that nobody wants to learn, and this causes a lot of problems for a lot of people. Put simply, if think you are "essential" to the company, either you constitute an ongoing risk for the company - you could have a heart attack and win the lottery on the day you get hit by a bus on the way back from your successful interview at google - or you're just wrong. Either way, if you think you're essential your first job is to make sure that you can be replaced, and to make sure that the company does not expose itself to similar risk in the future.

One way to do that, it turns out, is to take another job. If this causes the company pain, they will have incentive to avoid exposing themselves to similar risk in the future. If it doesn't, you were wrong in your self-estimation, and it's good you're out of there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:13 AM

View PostJackOfAllTrades, on 02 October 2012 - 11:17 AM, said:

he is the appitamy of company loyalty

Because we're about education here, the word is epitome.

epitome

ty for the spell check lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:50 PM

Well you could do what I did, which was quit. If they want you around badly enough, then they'll counter-offer and you can ask them to match your new salary. That way, you'll give them an option to keep you if they need you, while putting yourself in line for a significant payrise either way.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 jimblumberg  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:38 AM

I have a phone interview tomorrow and then if I get past that part of the screening a Background Check. Ive decided to let my Company know that I will be leaving once I get the solid 100% confirmation that Ive gotten the job and to provide them the benefit of countering it (which I know they cant).

You may want to wait until the job is actually offered. Most, if not all, potential employers understand most people don't want to "burn their bridges" and allow for the customary two weeks notices. If they insist on you leaving your present employer with out notice I would think twice about working for them anyway.

Jim
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1