2 Replies - 1454 Views - Last Post: 03 October 2012 - 07:34 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to create [All Programs] in StartMenu

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:48 AM

hello Sir ,

As you know Win8 doesn't have a StartMenu like Win7 or other OS before. So I use Visual Basic 6.0 to write a StartMenu myself. But unfortunately my Visual Basic knowledge is poor , I don't know how to write the portion of [All Programs] in the StartMenu.

I know that [All Programs] is actually a path link / shortcut of "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" . I've been searching on the web to find out the solution for 2 weeks. But mostly they show the "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" in a plain text format , by listing the folders and files like :

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Acronis
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Acronis\Acronis True Image Home
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Acronis\Acronis True Image Home\Tools and Utilities
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Acronis\Plus Pack for Acronis True Image Home 2012 ...................

Surely I can't put this result for [All Programs] in the StartMenu . All I want is exactly Win7's [All Programs] in StartMenu ; on the left hand side , it's either icon of exe file or icon for folders , when you expand the folders , you can choose the inside exe files and executable.

I've been surfing on the web for this topic for 2 weeks :

1. In the Windows Forum , they don't have any concern topic as they are not writing programs with Visual Basic 6.0
2. In the Visual Basic 6.0 Forum , they only show you the result like above in plain text.

Hope you can teach me how to make a [All Programs] in the StartMenu like Win7 with Visual Basic 6.0

Sir , as my Visual Basic knowledge is poor , can you show me this program with a download link of this program. As if only the program post on the webpage , sometimes there may be error after I copy and execute it in the VB6.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Don't recommand ViStart , StarDock , Classic Shell Menu ...... , as I'm talking about VB6

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to create [All Programs] in StartMenu

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to create [All Programs] in StartMenu

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:09 PM

Much of the underlying support for a Startmenu still exists. Win8 still has the AllPrograms directory and so on. Normal modern installers that place shortcuts in these directories still work and so on.

Seeing as you are using ANCIENT development tools for the most modern of operating systems - and you admit to not being very experienced - I don't see a reason to continue down the path you've taken.

There are so many good Start menu replacements already built by people with lots of experience in this that are FREE... building for the sake of having it is pointless. Building it as a learning experience has merit - but you really want to pick up some modern tools for it.
http://stardock.com/products/start8/

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: How to create [All Programs] in StartMenu

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:34 AM

Thanks for your reply ,

I know how to make a program group in the taskbar , also I know what is ViStart , Stardock Start8 , Class Shell Menu.

Writting this program is not a must or necessity. But this is for knowledge or interest.

To list folder and files from program list , for expert , it's not a hard task as it's only a reflection of a folder.

As this is VB Forum , I'm asking about the VB technique and not the way to use Win8

Thanks for anyone who can write this program for me. Thanks a lot
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1