Page 1 of 1

12 Replies - 3983 Views - Last Post: 04 October 2012 - 08:38 AM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Trolls & Bullies in DreamInCode?

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:47 AM

POPULAR

I have never been bullied in my life & I think programming is the least topic to ever bully about who would bully about if a code is incorrect or not! If your an expert huraay! your an expert but don't expect others to have your understanding if they are not at your level. Here are specific things I got -1 for:

#1 When you type your entire code in [code][code] & you comment on the errors within the code & also provide an error log for them. The helpers or ones who reply instaid of asking about the error they suggest to shorten the code & only provide the line that has the problem! So when you provide that snippet he asks for the entire code!!!! Make up your mind man!

#2 When people expect that you are at their level so when they say look at a code they expect me to say aha its because of (bla bla that is within their level of expertise) What I mean is if an instructor gives me a code & I use it don't blame me if the code is wrong or illogical I think or assume its right because the instructor provided me that snippet & claimed it would work! note: some admins were very nice & supportive they helped me by actually giving me notes of what to expect like [quot]run the code & create in cin 3 times & try to delete 1 time what do you expect it to do?[/quote]So I run the code & I realise that the logic of the array that I'm doing is incorrect. So instaid of some users that let me post over 10 post just to satisfy their needs 1 post from a nice guy could clearly explain everything! From a 3 page post only 1 post from the admin who is nice told me what to expect when running the code which is good enough.

#3 When people never respect your restrictions! I mean when I type in the first post "I am only allowed to use struct no classs is allowed" they post over 5-10 post nagging on why I don't use class instaid! I mean if I had control I would but thats the objective of the code its the restriction its using the tools that your provided with.

I hope when I post a question next time I have respectable answers I could put these conditions in every topic or question I post. If this didn't work only option is to pm the nice admins that actually have answers within the limits & respect my restrictions. I am a nice guy I never bullied nor insulted anyone if you want something be specific do not change your mind if you want short snippet ask if you want long ask. Also respect my restriction I do not control the project the instructor does I hope you understand & respect my conditions.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 5
  • +

Replies To: Trolls & Bullies in DreamInCode?

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Trolls & Bullies in DreamInCode?

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:01 AM

First off, the act of -1 isn't bullying. It only means they've found something wrong in your post, and future reference of those who will read your post in the future, they will know if what you've posted is in the right direction by giving a +1 or a -1.

Well, if they're saying that something is correctly done by a procedure then chances are they might be right, but we all know some teachers are not teaching the correct method of solving for something. In this case, I suggest you calmly state that you really need to do it on the professors given methods. If what your professor wants you to do is really wrong, then if the experts here point it out to you chances are your professor really is incorrect.

Your number 1 though, I've never experienced that but yeah, that sucks. But isn't it possible that if you posted your whole code your first posts and they ask you to post just the snippet, then ask you to post your whole code again, just refer them to your first post. Unless along the discussion the helper expected you to have done something new with your code, that is the time you must oblige to post your whole code again.

Keep calm dude, everyone posting on your thread is there to help you, even if they do it like rough love. ^^
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:23 AM

Thank you fromTheSprawl you seem like a nice guy. I think I have learned here that in order to be clear I should write this in every question

Conditions
* I will post the new code in every new post in separate parts with comments to explain the errors. I will provide a snippet of the most important error. Do not ask me to post a code in other ways if you do not follow this condition try to answer another person.

* Provide a clear explanation or a clear question of what I expect the code to do in a line that you think is wrong.

* Do not assume I know why the code is incorrect explain to me why the code is incorrect in-staid.

* Please read objectives & restrictions carefully do not ask me to use things that are not within the objectives or conditions like "why don't you use class?" or "why are you using 3 nested structs instaid of 1 struct?".

Objectives

* Use 3 nested structs.

* code should provide create, list & delete functions.

* code should use methods that are taught within the course of data structure & algorithm.

Restrictions

* Use struct only class is not allowed.

View PostfromTheSprawl, on 03 October 2012 - 01:01 AM, said:

First off, the act of -1 isn't bullying. It only means they've found something wrong in your post, and future reference of those who will read your post in the future, they will know if what you've posted is in the right direction by giving a +1 or a -1.

Well, if they're saying that something is correctly done by a procedure then chances are they might be right, but we all know some teachers are not teaching the correct method of solving for something. In this case, I suggest you calmly state that you really need to do it on the professors given methods. If what your professor wants you to do is really wrong, then if the experts here point it out to you chances are your professor really is incorrect.

Your number 1 though, I've never experienced that but yeah, that sucks. But isn't it possible that if you posted your whole code your first posts and they ask you to post just the snippet, then ask you to post your whole code again, just refer them to your first post. Unless along the discussion the helper expected you to have done something new with your code, that is the time you must oblige to post your whole code again.

Keep calm dude, everyone posting on your thread is there to help you, even if they do it like rough love. ^^

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:35 AM

Whoa, that's very methodical, not like the 75% of those who just barge in here demanding for code. That's good. But I guess try amending the first item:

Do not ask me to post a code in other ways if you do not follow this condition try to answer another person.

That sounds a bit harsh. Don't worry, help will come as long as you post your own code. The thing that is frowned upon the most here are those who don't make the effort to show their own code.

Do not assume I know why the code is incorrect explain to me why the code is incorrect in-staid.

I think this is a given, since that's why you're asking in the first place, but oh well. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 jimblumberg  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:21 AM

POPULAR

#1 When you type your entire code in [code][code] & you comment on the errors within the code & also provide an error log for them. The helpers or ones who reply instaid of asking about the error they suggest to shorten the code & only provide the line that has the problem! So when you provide that snippet he asks for the entire code!!!! Make up your mind man!

First you rarely if ever provide the full code, you provide a bunch of snippets. Without the complete code with matching error complete messages it is very hard to tell exactly what is wrong with your snippets.

Look at this post post#9. Look at this section of the post:

BTW ignore the C2059 error regarding the ]. I recently added this error by adding [] just in case I know its wrong but ignore that the [] is there in the error locations. I just wanted to add an array with the size of 50 so I know that in cin>>id[]; should be correct in a way.

This post doesn't contain the complete source it contains a bunch of snippets. Now lets look at the answer, remember you have not as yet provided the full source, just a bunch of snippets. Post#10 and in particular this:

Sorry but you need to fix these errors and then post the new error messages. Many times fixing one error will fix multiple error messages.

At this point you have still not posted the complete source, just a bunch of snippets.
Next this post post#11 this section in particular:

* Edit:Fixed error log I forgot to clear solution & recompile

This is why you should post the code that generates the errors! And still just a bunch of snippets, not the full code. Now lets look at part of the answer:

First you need to post the code that generated these warnings/errors. There are no templates in the code you provided in your last post.

But if you look at the previous post you won't find any error messages that say anything about templates, because you edited you previous post. You have been told in the past not to edit your previous posts to change the content because this makes following the logic of the conservation impossible to follow.

The only time you actually post the complete code is in post#15, but even there you didn't post the code, you posted a link to an external source that contained the code. By the way this is the first and only time you posted the complete code! Oh and this is the only time the error messages actually matched the posted code.

Later you accuse me of changing my mind, I never changed my mind, you seem to think splitting up your program into snippets is posting the complete code, I totally disagree. Posting your program in snippets makes running your code difficult, because I must reassemble your snippets into the full program, it also invalidates your error messages because if the spacing of my reassembly doesn't match your actual code the line numbers in don't match the source.

Next you mention inheritance, and afterwards you say:

a requirment for this code is to have a 3 level nested structs that inherit no circular dependency should accure though.

Which I inform you that you are not using, and your answer:

I meant inheritance(phrase just to explain) as nested levels not actual inheritance I know what inheritance means sorry for the confusion.

So who is changing who's mind?

And your next post you write:

Ok I fixed my code all by simply relying on myself I am disappointed in a way that nobody even cared to even just point to what I meant by this line

And the answer:

And exactly what do you think that change is doing? FlightType is a type of variable, you can't assign a value to a type.

You need to post the entire code if you really want not just snippets. You also need to ask specific questions about the code posted.

And in my opinion the rest of your non-answers speak for themselves.

But all in all I will grant this request:

Do not ask me to post a code in other ways if you do not follow this condition try to answer another person.

I won't ask you to post code in other ways, I won't ask you any questions, I won't offer any suggestions, or anything else.

Jim
Was This Post Helpful? 14
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:02 AM

Look I agree with you in things & disagree at others. I mean for my other questions or topics I was asked to never provide a code within one snippet it would be complicated to read I was asked to split them its the entire code but I have seperated then just to clarrify them & because its what people have requested I could have just copied & pasted my code in 1 snippet but I have took my time to respect peoples wishes by organizing my code into seperate snippets. When you asked about the entire code I didn't understand it as make all snippets into one snippet I understood it as my code is incomplete which it isn't. So you didn't clerify that so no one is to blame for this.

I didn't edit previous posts to change codes but only to add text notes. The reason I had the template is that I didn't clear the solution so I copied & pasted error log before compiling which is a mistake that I have done.

I do admit the confusion part about explaining nested structs as inheritance I was explaining that the
grandfather(flight)->father(carrier)->son(time) is similar to inheritance. I sincerely apologies for that I cannot explain things very clearly.

I hope you apologies for your actions as well.

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 03 October 2012 - 08:11 AM
Reason for edit:: removed giant quote

Was This Post Helpful? -3
  • +
  • -

#7 jimblumberg  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:07 AM

POPULAR

I hope you apologies for your actions as well.

Apologize for what?

But in any case it's not going to happen. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Jim
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:11 AM

It looks like that thread had large communication issues. When people ask for your code it is to get back track your errors. Sure you may get an error on line X, but that maybe because your constructor for the type is jacked up elsewhere and that means showing line X and not the rest of the code is not helping. This is even more needed when you profess to change the code and not keep the folk in the thread updated on what you changed.

I am going to go ahead and close this thread before it digresses more. Any further questions on it - you can shoot me a PM.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:11 AM

Dude, if you're having forum troubles that's a sad thing and I feel for you.

But could you please trim your quoted text for me? Thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:13 AM

Heh.. someone beat the lock.

Yes - there's no need to giant quote the post right above you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:25 AM

On another thought, and I know the thread is closed, but I think this point is important to make for reading purposes. If there is ever a communication problem between you and another member, please contact one of the moderators or admins via PM. That way, we can look at your posts and others and see what best needs to be done to alleviate the situation. If this means that we explain what the helper wants, then so be it. But let's try to avoid escalating it to this level again.

We are here to help you, so feel free to ask!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#12 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:38 AM

We are here to help you, so feel free to ask!

Except for me.. then it's about three-fifty an answer. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:38 AM

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -