7 Replies - 951 Views - Last Post: 04 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

#1 DoinWork  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 15
  • View blog
  • Posts: 69
  • Joined: 26-October 11

Resume Advice

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:40 PM

Hi, I'm slowly inching toward my last semester of college(spring) where I only have two classes remaining. Hurray! Anywho, I figured it's about that time to start constructing a proper resume and the essentials. Interviews don't really scare me, as for the most part I'm a friendly, people person. I want my resume to shine as well. So I had a question...

Usually on resumes you include a basic understanding of your skills, but with CS-oriented jobs would it be productive to include a few sample code programs as well? Or possibly clean up all of my working projects from school/my own entertainment and publish them on the net somewhere so they can be openly viewed without bulking up a resume? If you were the hiring agent, how would you feel regarding this?

Also, any other suggestions on what to include/not include would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Resume Advice

#2 raghav.naganathan  Icon User is offline

  • Perfectly Squared ;)
  • member icon

Reputation: 408
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,440
  • Joined: 14-September 12

Re: Resume Advice

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:02 AM

View PostDoinWork, on 04 October 2012 - 12:10 PM, said:

Hi, I'm slowly inching toward my last semester of college(spring) where I only have two classes remaining. Hurray! Anywho, I figured it's about that time to start constructing a proper resume and the essentials. Interviews don't really scare me, as for the most part I'm a friendly, people person. I want my resume to shine as well. So I had a question...

Usually on resumes you include a basic understanding of your skills, but with CS-oriented jobs would it be productive to include a few sample code programs as well? Or possibly clean up all of my working projects from school/my own entertainment and publish them on the net somewhere so they can be openly viewed without bulking up a resume? If you were the hiring agent, how would you feel regarding this?

Also, any other suggestions on what to include/not include would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!


Basically what your resume must do is to make the recruiter feel that this person is probably the best person for the job.

So keep these few points in mind.

1.Neatness and organization

If a resume is having unorganized content with things scattered all over the page, chances are that resume will not even get a second glance. On the contrary, a neatly organized resume will invite the recruiter to actually go through the contents.

2.Strengths and Weaknesses.

This is probably the trickiest part of the entire resume and may elicit several questions from the recruiter as well.So you need to keep in mind that whatever information you are giving over here must be true to your best knowledge.So think of the best thing about yourself, may be your excellent coding skills, punctuality, public speaking etc., but make sure you stick to it no matter what.For eg, it wouldn't do much good if you have punctuality written as your strength but turn up for the interview late, would it?

Now,coming to the weakness part, try to think of 1 thing that you are not very good at.But make sure that this thing what you write here doesn't affect your company in a wrong way.For eg. 'I get angry a lot' is certainly not gonna get you a job if the profile is customer support.Get the point? It could be something like a subtle thing, which will not affect the company in a big way.

3.NEVER Exaggerate

This is something that is found by the HR in a matter of seconds. Be to the point and do not try to show yourself as someone you are not.For eg, you may be good at public speaking,but writing 'I am the best public speaker in the world' will certainly give you negative marks.

I guess I have covered the essentials.If I may have missed anything, pardon me for that. :)

regards,
Raghav
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 AnalyticLunatic  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover

Reputation: 223
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,035
  • Joined: 25-June 12

Re: Resume Advice

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:37 AM

Raghav has made some excellent points. As for your questions regarding code samples, in the I.T. world, it is common to have a resume AND a portfolio. The resume is for reviewers to get a feel for who you are, what you are capable of, and a hint at what drives you.

The portfolio should be clear and concise, in a nice binding, with pages in laminated sheets to keep crisp and clean. You should put not all, but your best and most worthwhile examples in the portfolio (usually 3-5 depending on how detailed you get with each). Those that you have spent a lot of time developing, whether it be a program or website, be sure to include clear screenshots when possible, having the code properly displayed (and commented well) on the opposite page, so that reviewers can look at both in tandem to one another.

In my experience, from the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd person perspective, displaying ones code in an interview will instantly discredit you if comments are not used clearly and concisely in the code.

The portfolio, besides project examples, may also at times include distinguished awards you may have earned if your resume is too filled up to place such things on their (not necessary, but a good space filler when needed). A short statement about what was required to earn the award and how you accomplished such feats will accent the award.

That's all I have for now. Good luck, and hope it helps.

-A.L.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#4 DoinWork  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 15
  • View blog
  • Posts: 69
  • Joined: 26-October 11

Re: Resume Advice

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:46 AM

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep that in mind.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 DarenR  Icon User is online

  • D.I.C Lover

Reputation: 497
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,316
  • Joined: 12-January 10

Re: Resume Advice

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:50 AM

Show them nothing unless they ask for it...

Resumes need to be neat clean and to the point.
Do not add items on there that you have never done.
References are not needed unless you are asked for them.
Do not put your resume on anything except white paper.
Try to limit the amount of pages you uses to a max of 2.
Clearly define your abilities.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 AnalyticLunatic  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover

Reputation: 223
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,035
  • Joined: 25-June 12

Re: Resume Advice

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:54 AM

View PostDarenR, on 04 October 2012 - 08:50 AM, said:

Do not put your resume on anything except white paper.


Just curious Daren, have you had any personal problems with this? In my area of the world, white paper is acceptable, but employers I have dealt with over the years (along with those my colleagues have been in contact with) are more impressed by the use of true Resume Paper.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 DarenR  Icon User is online

  • D.I.C Lover

Reputation: 497
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,316
  • Joined: 12-January 10

Re: Resume Advice

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:59 AM

View PostAnalyticLunatic, on 04 October 2012 - 12:54 PM, said:

View PostDarenR, on 04 October 2012 - 08:50 AM, said:

Do not put your resume on anything except white paper.


Just curious Daren, have you had any personal problems with this? In my area of the world, white paper is acceptable, but employers I have dealt with over the years (along with those my colleagues have been in contact with) are more impressed by the use of true Resume Paper.

True resume paper usually is white--- I Know my hr buddies, past and current employer's HR people all have told me that if it isnt on white paper(resume) that they throw the resumes straight into the garbage without even reading them. They also noted not to scent the resumes or use varing ink colors. One of them even told me about one they received once that was on transperancy paper....hmmm
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 AnalyticLunatic  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover

Reputation: 223
  • View blog
  • Posts: 1,035
  • Joined: 25-June 12

Re: Resume Advice

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

View PostDarenR, on 04 October 2012 - 09:59 AM, said:

True resume paper usually is white--- I Know my hr buddies, past and current employer's HR people all have told me that if it isnt on white paper(resume) that they throw the resumes straight into the garbage without even reading them. They also noted not to scent the resumes or use varing ink colors. One of them even told me about one they received once that was on transperancy paper....hmmm


Interesting. As I previously stated, I was simply curious. The "Resume Paper" I typically use I believe came from Staples, and is a very light-toned tannish color. For ink color, the only time I have ever deviated from black was to place the Email contact information in blue just as differential. In any event, goes to show standards will vary by location and situation.

As for the resume received on transparency paper, I must simply shake my head. What was the individual going to do? Roll it in on a projector, display it on the wall, and say "Hire Me!"?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1