3 Replies - 311 Views - Last Post: 04 October 2012 - 08:20 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

What Is All Required?

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:06 PM

Hey there

First I'm new to the community I have been reading topics on the site for a while but this is my first post with an account.

Now I just wanna know what is all required for the following program idea..

A simple program where other people type in their name, house address, email, etc. Then when they hit submit the data is then sent to a computer of mine into a an organized database that I can view (like a spreadsheet sort of view) and then additionally I can change information that everyone will see or just one person depending on if I change their name's data or the title label in the program.

Some guidance creating this would be great, thanks :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What Is All Required?

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: What Is All Required?

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

What kind of project do you want to work on? Windows or Web Application?

Do you have a database to use? SQL or Access for example.

Of course, to start, you need to think and layout what you need. Just like you said, you need those details as input to work with. Now, since you already know that input you would need the user to enter. Create a form by adding labels, textboxes, dropdownlists, buttons and etc. depending on what you need.

What type of validation would you need for each fileds? Validate the email address format with regular expressions.

Create a connection to the database. Create a query to check if the user already exists, add condition to add new user or update existing user.

Send parameters from your application to the database to save results.

You said you are new to this community but are you new to programming too? Tell us the level of skill you have, what you have started in this project so far so we would know what approach to use.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

Ah wow yeah I guess I should have added alot of that information.

I want this to be a windows application, I am currently using Visual Basic 2010, I understand object oriented programming in C++ and in Visual Basic. I took Visual basic in High School and a few computer science classes in University.

I currently have a windows application with all the text boxes, labels, buttons for inputting, and such. I do not have much to any code written because I currently do not know how to set up (button click sends textbox1.text to the data table on my computer and back.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:20 PM

If you are using SQL, I suggest you create a stored procedure that will receive parameters on username, address, email, etc. Your stored procedure may query a table with select or update a table with insert or update statements.

Form your program you create connection to the database, call the stored procedure and supply required parameters.

Try reading this link:

http://stackoverflow...ecute-in-vb-net
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1