• (3 Pages)
  • +

35 Replies - 1949 Views - Last Post: 15 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Programming on a MAC

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:22 AM

The mac has never really been a programmer's machine. Jobs' idea was always to make a machine that nobody would ever want to modify - sort of the anti-hacker machine. OSX is probably the first time a Mac ever really invited programmers in, and that's because you really couldn't have a UNIX without that access. However, it's still kind of difficult to work with, compared to a standard Linux machine.

I agree that the web has kind of put the MUGs out of business, but trust me, it's a lot easier to find out what you need to know today than it was in 1987.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:31 AM

You are absolutely right....easy trap to fall into. Funny how no one replied to this for over two weeks and then today it has 15+ posts.

The fact is I was interested in the Mac...now I am not....end of story.

That is from a programmers point of view.

If I was just a casual user I still might have gone for it. The operating system has evolved in the last few years and is kinda cool in a lot of ways.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:33 AM

View Postderrellgore, on 22 October 2012 - 11:31 AM, said:

Funny how no one replied to this for over two weeks and then today it has 15+ posts.

Please refer to post #4.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:38 AM

View Postderrellgore, on 22 October 2012 - 10:31 AM, said:

You are absolutely right....easy trap to fall into. Funny how no one replied to this for over two weeks and then today it has 15+ posts.

Funny how people get very worked up over whether anyone responds to their thread.

The fact is I was interested in the Mac...now I am not....end of story.

If all it took was two weeks, I wonder just how interested you were to begin with.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:47 AM

I was actually awaiting for the new Macs to come out this week before ordering....there you go....already thinking like a Mac user. That was just long enough for me to lose interest. I was actually going to buy one two weeks ago when I was at the store and the salesman suggested I wait a couple of weeks...I even had my wife's approval to buy it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

I code on a Mac exclusively. It's a great environment. Why?

A) I can code for iOS/OSX with the best tools available

B ) I have Parallels Desktop running Windows 7 and Linux in virtual machines (with complete hardware acceleration and all OS features available in seamless mode)

C ) I can use Xcode (OSX), Visual Studio (Windows) and Kdevelop (Linux) all from one system without restarting (and share a common hard disk)

D) I have vim/gcc/g++/valgrind/python/bash without the need to reboot or run any VMs

E) I have a beautiful, fully featured terminal and shell that beats the pants off Windows cmd/powershell

F) I can cross-compile for 3 OSes in a single step with tools available on OSX

G) Easy access to many third party libraries with simple installation using Mac Ports

H) I have multiple work spaces at my disposal, I can run different OSes in seamless mode on different screens

I) I can code in an OS environment that doesn't beg me to restart/apply updates or get bogged down over time

This post has been edited by stackoverflow: 22 October 2012 - 12:59 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:06 PM

View Poststackoverflow, on 22 October 2012 - 02:58 PM, said:

I) I can code in an OS environment that doesn't beg me to restart/apply updates or get bogged down over time

Most of your points I agree with, but this is nonsense.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:07 PM

Yeah that one was a bit out there, just something I deal with at work (on Windows) that bugs the heck out of me. Certainly you can shut updates off and notifications but work requires certain protocols.

:(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#24 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Dic Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

Grrr, this statement is totally going to turn into a flamewar, so please don't take it as such.

But I will say from a non-Widows perspective, I can see why that statement may not make sense. But there have been a few times where I sit down on my wife's machine & start coding, just to get slapped with a fifteen minute countdown for a Windows update reboot. First words out of my mouth are expletives in regards to Windows being a Point of Sale device ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:20 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 22 October 2012 - 08:15 PM, said:

Grrr, this statement is totally going to turn into a flamewar, so please don't take it as such.

But I will say from a non-Widows perspective, I can see why that statement may not make sense. But there have been a few times where I sit down on my wife's machine & start coding, just to get slapped with a fifteen minute countdown for a Windows update reboot. First words out of my mouth are expletives in regards to Windows being a Point of Sale device ;)

I have came into work to find my machine "restarted" over night even though I swear I turned automatic update installs off..

Sorry!

This post has been edited by stackoverflow: 22 October 2012 - 01:21 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:26 PM

Welcome to not being in the pool of "the majority of users". Since you are not in said pool then take the three minutes and rearrange the settings on the update. Honestly.. forty seconds - tops.

I have came into work to find my machine "restarted" over night even though I swear I turned automatic update installs off..

It happens frequently when sys-ops guys have rules enforcement on active directory. You may not want it to happen, but active directory over rides them.

Wait.. you.. don't run updates on your machine? O.o
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

I "manually" install them. I don't like Windows downloading and installing automatically and deciding to restart whenever I am not around to post pone it.

I typically don't update my home Windows because it's on a VM and not directly connected to the network. I typically only install updates I want/need. I also keep snapshots of the VM for different testing purposes at different states/updates, and trying to be 'up to date' is ridiculous in such an environment.

At work it's slightly different.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:37 PM

I admit that my windows machine is a lot worse about updates - work machine, pushes all updates, I have to take an hour long coffee break when that happens. (hey, I guess that's a feature, not a bug)

But the mac does lock up from time to time - spinny cursor will just take over FireFox for a while, for example. I suppose it must be accumulation of cruft and time to put on the sysadmin hat.

The nice thing is that command-line tools don't suffer from this, so I only really see it for trivial applications - web browsers seem especially prone, probably because of plugins, flash etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 22 October 2012 - 08:37 PM, said:

I admit that my windows machine is a lot worse about updates - work machine, pushes all updates, I have to take an hour long coffee break when that happens. (hey, I guess that's a feature, not a bug)

But the mac does lock up from time to time - spinny cursor will just take over FireFox for a while, for example. I suppose it must be accumulation of cruft and time to put on the sysadmin hat.

The nice thing is that command-line tools don't suffer from this, so I only really see it for trivial applications - web browsers seem especially prone, probably because of plugins, flash etc.

So far on my Mac the only application I had lock up on me was VLC. For some reason it happens quite a bit when I quit VLC. I think it's mostly applications wrote for other systems and ported to OSX.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:45 PM

derellgore, you cannot expect to ask a question and then add an inappropriate response as if we are your personal online search engines. We are people, just as you are, and we have lives. You have to give us time.

As for the question:

Xcode is an excellent tool to use. It comes with just about anything you could possibly imagine inside of an ide. However, it takes some time to get used to it. The Java is different on Macs as well, with netbeans, it is a bit complicated, and the environment itself is kind of odd, but with eclipse on mac, it is amazing. It is what i use, and it no different than on Windows computers.

And with the whole CodeProject thing, that is not true because I have seen it on the internet plenty of times (mostly as ads on programming sites or dealing with android).

Macs and Windows both have specific and unique features to them as to why they are so much money. The reason macs are so costly is 1. the name, and 2. they are made to be used for a great deal of information and graphics all at once. They are used with a lot of 3D gaming and have a lot of graphics memory, therefore, they cost more.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +