2 Replies - 602 Views - Last Post: 07 October 2012 - 01:14 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Win32 GUI alternatives

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:53 PM

Hello!

I've written several programs in VC++ using the Win32 API (but they're 64-bit) and programatically created every single part of the GUI, such as buttons, check boxes, and edit controls.

Obviously I've used the native Windows API for this, writing lots of code but none of it custom. It looks like, as one professional put it, something he did in the mid-90s. Gee, thanks.

But he's got a point. I need something for GUI development that works on top of a C++ framework yet affords a high degree of customization, such as buttons of different colors and shapes, or different forms of text display, and so on.

I DO know of wxWidgets, but wanted to know if there's some other alternative - to me, it seems like the best thing about wxWidgets is that it's cross-platform (which is attractive) but I want to, say, make a small image in Photoshop and use that as a button, much like one would create an image and use it as a link in HTML or CSS code.

Is this at all possible? I know about button icons and owner-drawn buttons, but that's kind of boring and doesn't appear to work with Visual Styles enabled (or I'm implementing it incorrectly).

Any tips? It doesn't necessarily have to be a cross-platform solution, just something where I can use custom graphics for controls and the like.

Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Win32 GUI alternatives

• Engineering ● Software
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Win32 GUI alternatives

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:24 PM

Hi again nullcoding,

Qt is by far the best option for a GUI framework.

The win32 api is useful if you need or want to program at a low level.

however it's not always necessary to program at a low level.

Then Qt comes into it's own and you can always mix low level stuff with Qt anyway.

Qt is also cross platform.

For an image button Qt has QPushButton

syntax
 QPushButton::QPushButton ( const QIcon & icon, const QString & text, QWidget * parent = 0 )

Then you assign your image as a QIcon.

Qt adopts a pointer system, once you get used to that it's quite easy to use.

Hope this is of benefit to you.

Snoopy.

This post has been edited by snoopy11: 06 October 2012 - 08:25 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Win32 GUI alternatives

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:14 PM

Got it. Thanks! I will do my homework and see what I can cook up with Qt!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1