3 Replies - 2598 Views - Last Post: 07 October 2012 - 10:42 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Java Poker Game project questions

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:07 AM

Hello D.I.C.! I'm in my final year in college and I have to make a project to get the degree. I specialized in Java so my project will be in Java. The theme I have chosen is a Lan game and I want to make a poker game. Something like Poker Stars but playable over Lan.

I started learning java from SCJA, SCJP and SCJD preparation books and some tutorials on this forum so I have an idea of how to make the game run and look.

What I am not sure now is what should I use for the network part: rmi or sockets? I haven't learned any of these 2, I just read some info about them so I am not really sure what would be a better decision. I would like to learn them both but I would like to learn the one I will use for now and leave the other for later.

So which one would you recommend? And is there a book you might find easier for me to read and understand? I am fond of the O'Reilly books if you know one that might fit my needs.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Java Poker Game project questions

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Java Poker Game project questions

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:05 AM

Well the easiest thing to do would be get the logic down for your poker game. Create it without networking. The easiest choice would just be to use sockets. For a project like this you are going to need to know about thread monitors, and multithreading. Java: How to Program by Deitel has an AMAZING section over multithreading and networking.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#3 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

WolfCoder has a good client-server tutorial you may want to check out.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:42 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 07 October 2012 - 10:21 AM, said:

WolfCoder has a good client-server tutorial you may want to check out.

Thanks, I will make sure to check it out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1