5 Replies - 1830 Views - Last Post: 08 October 2012 - 03:22 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Creating 512 x 512 raw files

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:18 PM

Alright, so I have Paint.net, and am able to make bmps that are 24 bit depth. With this, I need to create raw files. I have several converters, but they only convert raw files to 256 by 256. Any attempt to make a bigger raw or smaller raw results in weird errors, meaning its not able to export a usable raw. So, I'm here to ask, how can I make a 512 by 512 raw file successfully keeping all the data and such intact? Any recommended image conversion programs that WORK?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Creating 512 x 512 raw files

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Creating 512 x 512 raw files

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:59 AM

I'm not sure exactly what you are calling a "raw" file. If you mean the RAW camera file, that would be pretty ugly since most cameras have a different format for their RAW file depending on what camera it is from what I've read.

So, I assume instead that you mean a file that contains only color data for each pixel and nothing else (like headers or compression).

So, I don't think Paint.Net can output either type of file. You said you've been using a converter. You could probably make your own converter in C#. I haven't done it, but I'm pretty sure that C# can read bitmaps. So, it's capable of extracting the texel data. If you just want that data in a file, you could then write it out to a file. That would probably allow you to convert even larger images. Anyway, if C# has the builtin ability to read the bitmap file, the hard part of it's already done for you.

This post has been edited by BBeck: 08 October 2012 - 10:12 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:10 AM

It's extremely easy to write your own, it can be done in almost no time. Just strip the header data out and write the following raw data to a new file.

I wrote a file converter like this whilst bored at work in about an hour or two. It helps if you are good with a hex editor.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

I don't have C# to my advantage as I'm doing this stuff for C/C++. Just a question, what made you think I was using C# anyway? Just curious, nothing personal.:P But anyways, I found out that GIMP will do it if you import 24 bit bitmaps into the program. Yea, I could write my own, but I don't know much about image compression so I think I'm good. I also want the standard raw file format that is present on the computer, nothing about cameras or anything(I am aware of where the confusion came from, as RAW soemtimes refers to cameras too, but not in this case.) Anyways, looks like GIMP came to the rescue... again.:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:10 PM

I hadn't really assumed that you were programming in C#. It's just that I've seen that C# has some built in bitmap handling into it that looks to me like it would make it pretty easy to whip up a program modifying bitmaps with minimal effort. So, if you happen to know C#... (or any .Net language). C#'s a free download too (so it doesn't cost anything even if you don't do C#).

I don't think there's any image compression in the bitmap standards. From what Butch is saying there, it sounds like it's just a header and then data after the header. And I assume it's R8G8B8 or maybe R8G8B8A8.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

That's far game too, but until I make my own converter(I doubt I will), I think GIMP is fine for me. I have Visual Studio Express 2012, which is free and comes with VB, VC++, and VC#, but only to familiarize myself with the languages in case my future job needs me to know those languages. Otherwise, I only know C++, Java, Visual Basic, Python, and a tad bit of C#. But, it's turtles all the way down:-)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1