10 Replies - 859 Views - Last Post: 15 October 2012 - 12:48 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

X-Com: Enemy Unknown releases soon!

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:18 PM

I'm just curious if we have any other die hard fans of the x-com series and if anyone is as excited as I am about the reimagining of possibly one of the greatest tactical games of all time! (My opinion of course!)
I've been watching so many gameplay videos on YouTube that my excitment for multiplayer is through the roof!

Time to save the world in two days... :gun_bandana: :alien2:

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: X-Com: Enemy Unknown releases soon!

• The Peasant
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: X-Com: Enemy Unknown releases soon!

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:38 PM

It looks pretty cool I won't lie. I may end up playing it out of lack of options lol.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

Isn't this one an FPS now? I'm not pinning my hopes on this one.

EDIT:

Oh, so it retains the tactical turn based stuff huh? And Firaxis is doing it? I don't know what happened to the FPS I've read sometime before but yeah, hopes up, definitely.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:14 AM

View PostfromTheSprawl, on 08 October 2012 - 12:52 AM, said:

Isn't this one an FPS now? I'm not pinning my hopes on this one.

EDIT:

Oh, so it retains the tactical turn based stuff huh? And Firaxis is doing it? I don't know what happened to the FPS I've read sometime before but yeah, hopes up, definitely.

The FPS is still in production, just by a different company. However it's release is going to be completely overshadowed by this. I can't even beleived they named it X-Com.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:47 PM

Well, it is setup in the X-Com universe. I definitely agree though that this one is the game the fans have been looking for. Will you buy it upon its release?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:27 PM

Already pre-ordered and readyto play. Since im overseas right now it should become eligible to play in... roughly an hour and a half. Sweeeet. If anyone else gets it let me know! We'll have to play multiplayer a few rounds.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

That's awesome! Post screen shots and impressions then. ^^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:53 PM

Aaaand im back from practically playing xcom for a straight 2 days. I have to say that it blows me away. There are a few issues that irk me from time to time about the game, but I am sure they are things that could be fixed with a patch. So for those of you interested but arent sure...

The game is based on squad tactical combat. Meaning that you will not have more than 6 soldiers on the field at any given time. (I have not had an Alien base raid yet however, maybe you get more in those?) This is both a blessing and a curse at times. It's great because now you dont have to manage 10+ troops at a time now. It's bad because even though you are limited to 6... the aliens are not. My last encounter at a landed UFO took nearly 2 hours to get right. We landed and immediatly after my first turn 3 sectoid, 3 floaters, and 4 thin men immediatly swarm the area. At close range... you can guess what happens.

The battle system is largly based over the concept of cover. Nearly every standing object that your soldiers can push themselves against give a cover bonus which is then attributed to how difficult it is to hit them. (Or in some cases if they can be seen.) This new design is awesome as I think it provides a more tactical approach rather than just moving your soldiers up a field. Typically, if a soldier is caught in the open, he is a goner. Plain and simple.

The geoscape has been redesigned as well... but is it simpler or more complex? Honestly I feel like it is TOO simple even in comparison to the original game. Now, you only have 1 base and 1 base alone. Sorry guys, no making radar bases in Asia to protect your ass-ets. Now, you have the ability to create stallites which provide you with your radar. The only downside is that these satallites only cover one country of your choosing. If you choose your main base as USA (you get one satallite at your main base.) and decide you want to cover Germany as well, you will only get UFO alerts within the USA and Germany ONLY. There are also only a limited number of satallites you can launch, Meaning you will have to choose who you protect wisely.

Speaking of choosing wisely, that is pretty much this game's forte. Unlike the original where, if you wanted, you could respond to every-single-freaking-UFO you could pick up... in the new game... you dont have that ability. Now, periodically you will get 'abduction' sites where various countries ask you for help with a reward attached to it. You can only respond to one site however. So who do you help? Well Germany is offering 200 credits wile Argentina is offering 4 new scientists to increase research speed. Heck, even New Zealand is offering 4 engineers to increase fabrication speeds... decisions decisions...

Anyway this is just a few things about the game. Anyone here played it yet? I need some multiplayer partners.! :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:06 PM

Been playing for 2 days now.

Loved UFO Defense back in highschool, one of my fav games.

This game surpasses my expectations...

It's hard - I miss hard games, but this game certainly serves up the hard as nails shit at ya. It's not as hard as the original, but still... kissing soldiers and countries support is bitter awesome gameplay.

Only thing that bugs me is the large quantity of bugs and glitches. Firaxis had this similar issue with Civ5... great game but crashes or gets stuck at times. And when I say get stuck, I mean like you enter some sub menu, and due to some weird glitch, you can't back out... or you end up in menu loops. For example the first time I went to upgrade a soldier, you're not allowed to change soldiers (tutorial or some crap). So the next/prev soldier buttons don't work. But my friend msg'd me when I went in there and I hit shift+tab per steam's interface... turns out shift and tab change characters as well, and Firaxis din't block these. Now I'm on a different character... I try to change back to the previous character... and now I can't give the upgrade to my soldier and the tutorial won't let me back out until I do give it to him... which I can't.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:47 AM

Yeah, the glitches are kind of annoying but so far the only one that bothers me the most is the elevation flickering.

I still havnt gotten that far into the game im afraid. Ive played a shitload, but since I get VERY attached to my soldiers Im always inclined to restart the game when one dies. I guess I just need to suck it up, start a new game and finish it through. Haha!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Like a lollipop
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:48 AM

The game is pretty good. The bugs are rly annoying. Every time i load a game that is saved in the base i get this annoying bug that i cant get out of mission control... However the game is rly fun to play and i had to say hard(at least for me). The other annoying thing is the lack of autosave. For what reason game from 2012 dont have autosave? It will not boost the difficult level since you can save as much as you want if you dont play in the iron something mode.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1