what do programmers do to get in the mood before a big project.

• (5 Pages)
  • +

72 Replies - 5221 Views - Last Post: 15 October 2012 - 12:17 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: what do programmers do to get in the mood before a big project.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:16 AM

/rant on
It's hilarious how some people can dismiss a perfectly valid disorder when they've never experienced it first hand.

ADHD-Inattentive (as it's properly called nowadays) is a pretty shitty thing to have when you don't have access to any treatments for it. It sucks to be constantly distracted, even by silence itself, and struggle to control it to get things done on a timely manner.

No, it's not an excuse, but it is a consideration. How do I make myself keep up on my schoolwork deadlines? from learning the hard way what happens when i don't do my damnedest to keep myself in check. The fear of failing out is a damn good motivator.

To the dismissers. walk a mile in our shoes before talking down about it, and learn what you're talking about.

to the lazy people who use it as an excuse to not do shit, deal with it, if you're not just one of the people who fakes it to be a lazy-ass, your not the only one who got dealt a crap hand, you just gotta work harder at doing daily tasks.
/rant off
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:59 AM

View PostChoscura, on 08 October 2012 - 09:11 AM, said:

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 08 October 2012 - 07:16 AM, said:

Common problem. Some thoughts, for what they're worth:

Attention deficit isn't something you have, it's something you train yourself to be.

I gotta call you on this one. This may be a popular opinion, but that isn't an excuse; if you want to read up on it, the wiki article isn't a bad place to start, and while you've got an excellent point about not pandering and making excuses, denying the existence of the disorder only hurts your point. You might as well contest the existence of diabetes.

Yes, it's overdiagnosed. Yes, the drugs aren't perfect. But at the same time, I can think of worse situations than the current one, where mental performance enhancers (because that's what these drugs are) are more widely available as opposed to less widely available, especially if you want to try to have this argument with a cup of coffee or tea on your desk at the time.

yeah its a real problem actually and it isnt a disorder on its own its usually a resault of a complication, in my case poor dopamine production, i take ritalin it removes the fluff i dont go out i get in fights and arguments, i dont keep jobs because i dont remember where i am, its actually quite tough and people dont take it seriously ESPECIALLY employers and thats where life sucks...just look at my bad rep says it all (it was unfair as far as im concerned i just said something didnt need reposting because the < is now an > and is still cant suss out whats wrong to change it and like blam big red albatrosses hanging round my noob neck, i think its the first time the net has hurt my feelings :cry2: )
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:09 AM

View PostJL29, on 09 October 2012 - 01:04 AM, said:

I actually have profit of my condition ;)

Autism is so perfect when programming, just sink away in it and don't come out of it till you are done :D

the best part: My GF doesn't mind! She thinks it's a good thing for me, because it makes me forget trouble.

beautiful, i always thought people were like bees born in a hive a certain way to serve it for different purposes its just now society only really caters for the status quo ie the common worker bees and the people in charge...long time ago we would find our place in the world better...you might be the witch doctor i would be the guy that runs about the woods with nothin but a long beard whispering to the sheep
  • +
  • -

• The Watcher Outside Your Window

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:23 AM

As long as you dont do anything beyond whispering.

Also, not whining about your condition may help. You mention your condition 3-4 times already on this thread and I just popped in your profile and its mentioned there in your "About me" section as well as the comments section. You do have my sympathies for your concentration disorder and how people dont take you seriously, but they probably would if you stopped introducing yourself like 'Hi I'm __ and I have ADD'. Its like you think the condition is who you are.

Just my 2 cents anyways. I hope that made sense.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:42 AM

View Poststrawhat89, on 09 October 2012 - 02:23 AM, said:

As long as you dont do anything beyond whispering.

Also, not whining about your condition may help. You mention your condition 3-4 times already on this thread and I just popped in your profile and its mentioned there in your "About me" section as well as the comments section. You do have my sympathies for your concentration disorder and how people dont take you seriously, but they probably would if you stopped introducing yourself like 'Hi I'm __ and I have ADD'. Its like you think the condition is who you are.

Just my 2 cents anyways. I hope that made sense.

yeah i was kind of fishing for the subject to be discussed, take advantage of the anonymity of the web to see what people really think, i actually just thought about it once created a discussion and then hoped maybe get people to go easy on those reputation points, plus i never get to whine anywhere else...i will whine to my wee house rabbit instead
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:53 AM

Multi talented I see...

Sheep whisperer and rabbit whisperer.

Impressive.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• The Watcher Outside Your Window

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:12 AM

Again, as long as it's just whispering.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:18 AM

you know rabbits do have a language http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

its actually more complex than a lot of animals, they're pretty cool little fellahs realy
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:10 AM

Imma go get my hipwaders, because the shit is getting deep.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:22 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 08 October 2012 - 09:56 AM, said:

View PostChoscura, on 08 October 2012 - 11:11 AM, said:

I gotta call you on this one. This may be a popular opinion, but that isn't an excuse; if you want to read up on it, the wiki article isn't a bad place to start, and while you've got an excellent point about not pandering and making excuses, denying the existence of the disorder only hurts your point. You might as well contest the existence of diabetes.

I've taught kids with "ADD". It may be that there is a condition which prevents a person from maintaining attention to the task as hand, but these kids didn't have anything of the sort. They were just trained from birth to not pay attention.

I'm a good liberal-minded individual, all ready to give people a break and take account of differing abilities and like that, but sometimes you just have to put on your big boy pants and get to work. If getting rid of the external things that cause the problem doesn't work, and conscious work at retraining yourself back to being a thinking being don't work, then maybe you've got a case for a medical issue. But if you're watching TV while surfing the internet and keeping up an argument on facebook and a conversation via text, and then you find you can't pay attention to things, either you know why that is or you're an idiot.

Look, everything you are saying is correct except the detail about 'no true ADD'. But when you say that in addition to everything that you're getting right, people will accept it as right also, and it isn't. I'm all for big boy pants; I'm all for doing things properly and focusing. but when you do everything that you can and still aren't hitting the marks you know you should be, this is a top contender for the reasons why. We don't need to have the discussion about fixing work habits, and even with what I've been poking around with and successfully implemented, you've given the same caliber of advice in the post denying ADHD.

What needs to be addressed is that, once you've done all this, you can still not be reaching the same quotas on performance as somebody without ADHD, and if that is the case, then denying it and blaming yourself or your work habits is the wrong way to go about fixing things. This is what happened with me: I have ADHD- I don't know why, I suspect a combination of genetics, nutrition during development and environment- I've mentioned it here before, and all the improvement methods and techniques did not help until I started actually being treated for the condition I had tried to deny having. It wasn't that I couldn't focus before, and it wasn't an issue of the environment I was in; I controlled myself pretty rigidly, and my environment more so, and was functioning as if I was mildly retarded. ADHD meds were the last thing I actually tried, *after* improving my diet and making sure I was getting enough vitamins and exercising more (although on that count I fell off the wagon very often, and still do), and meditating and so on. I treated it as if it was an obstacle that to overcome, and I didn't use it as an excuse to stay the same- and when I tell you to not deny it's existence, I'm not suggesting that you make allowances either- I honestly prefer that the extra effort not even be recognized- even as a reason for a fuckup- and it's not a bad policy to have, although this is something that needs to be applied on an individual level.

TLDR; you're doing the right thing, but you're doing it for at least one wrong reason.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#41 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:33 AM

View PostIrohuro, on 09 October 2012 - 03:16 AM, said:

To the dismissers. walk a mile in our shoes before talking down about it, and learn what you're talking about.

View PostIrohuro, on 09 October 2012 - 01:25 PM, said:

Trying to decide whether to stay up or go back to sleep after eating a nice bacon-wrapped steak burger for lunch, afterwards I'll probably do some combination of watching Direwolf20 videos on youtube, work on C++ homework and/or java extra exercises for class/because java is fun, and play skyrim/minecraft.

I think I'm sticking with my theory, thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:37 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 09 October 2012 - 01:33 PM, said:

View PostIrohuro, on 09 October 2012 - 03:16 AM, said:

View PostIrohuro, on 09 October 2012 - 01:25 PM, said:

Trying to decide whether to stay up or go back to sleep after eating a nice bacon-wrapped steak burger for lunch, afterwards I'll probably do some combination of watching Direwolf20 videos on youtube, work on C++ homework and/or java extra exercises for class/because java is fun, and play skyrim/minecraft.

I think I'm sticking with my theory, thanks.

good job on linking two posts that in no way relate to each other, or really reflect my overall self. btw, that second one was meant to be light hearted.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#43 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:50 AM

View PostChoscura, on 09 October 2012 - 07:22 AM, said:

Look, everything you are saying is correct except the detail about 'no true ADD'. But when you say that in addition to everything that you're getting right, people will accept it as right also, and it isn't.

So we disagree on one point - or maybe not.
I'm willing to concede that there may be a mental disability which somehow disables the ability to pay attention. However, in any individual case, when you see someone doing everything they possibly can to fragment their attention every moment of the day, it's not hard to suppose that there's a reason why they can't pay attention when they want to.

Reaching for the medical explanation first is crazy when there's a much more plausible explanation to clear away first.
So when someone says they have "ADD", my first reaction is, oh, shut up and be a grownup for a while. Because for most people, that's what works.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#44 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

View PostIrohuro, on 09 October 2012 - 01:37 PM, said:

good job on linking two posts that in no way relate to each other, or really reflect my overall self. btw, that second one was meant to be light hearted.

When you make my point for me, I'm happy to give you the credit for it.
Shot with his own gun...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:59 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 09 October 2012 - 01:56 PM, said:

When you make my point for me, I'm happy to give you the credit for it.
Shot with his own gun...

not really, more like you spinning something for your own cynical viewpoints.

hey, whatever works for you to keep on keepin' on, hun~
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +