7 Replies - 2876 Views - Last Post: 09 October 2012 - 09:43 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

New to Java! where should i begin?

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:41 AM

Hey fellas,

I am totally new to programming. I just found this site and it is really helpful. But in this vast tutorial section, it is not orderly arranged so i couldnt know which should i read first. Please direct Me. Thanks a lot. :smile2:

To be more clearer, i want to start from a basic foundation of programming. ALl the concepts in it. And If it comes to language i prefer JAVA. Thanks.

I ADMIT. First mistake i did, i didnt go through the previews posts, where many of them asked the similar questions and got great answers too. I will check that out. :D And If you could help, please post any relevant tutorials for beginners. Thanks again

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: New to Java! where should i begin?

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: New to Java! where should i begin?

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:03 AM

This question has indeed been asked so much on here, and I myself have even asked similar questions. What it really comes down to one thing. That one thing is motivation, do you have the motivation to read books about java, and follow all the examples rewriting them yourself, and running them for practice? It really takes tons of work to learn to be even decent at java. When I was in your situation I was asked a question here on D.I.C that I am going to re ask you. Do you want to be a coder, or do you want to code?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:06 AM

I would suggest finding a good book. If you want to learn something, read the book on it then put it into action. This website will help you with concepts, and code. This site will not help you get a complete start.

Java Programming Language By Ken Arnold, James Gosling, David Holmes (note this book is straight from the people who created java)

Java: How to Program - Deitel (This book explains concepts very well, and gets pretty in-depth with Java.)

Thinking in Java by Bruce Eckel. (I've heard wonderful things about this book. People tell me that object oriented concepts just click after reading this.)

Take your pick, you only need one.
If you are unable to buy a book (these books are not free) you will be surprised what you can find at your local library. If you prefer to listen to a humans voice teach you. There is a set of videos by TheNewBoston. They cover many many many topics/languages. A google search for TheNewBoston java tutorials will get you in the right place very quickly.

You need some basic syntax knowledge, before anyone can explain to you the concepts. These are great places to start.

IMPORTANT You learn by putting TIME into this. There is no such thing as learn java in a few days/weeks/months. It WILL take years. It might take you days/weeks/months to understand basic concepts, but there is so much to cover. You will learn what you put into it. Put time and thought and you will learn, but if you try to rush you will realize that you retain NONE of it.

This post has been edited by Kinaces: 09 October 2012 - 07:09 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:11 AM

This is my first day to this awesome website.

I really never thought that anyone would really spend their time to help. I really appreciate it. Thank you very much.

@Kinaces. I will go through those books first. Thanks again.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:12 AM

Getting Better at Programming Java
Best Beginner's Book
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:53 AM

"All the concepts" is a big order. Eat that whale one forkful at a time. Oracle has some good tutorials, and there's a lot of good reference material at their site. Whatever other books you use, their overal plan of attack is sound, so I recommend you at least review their "trails", starting with the core language and basic method calls, and then moving on to simple objects and so forth.

Basic concepts of programming - algorithms, "design patterns", lower-level understanding of what your code is actually doing, concepts from functional programming, and on and on - these will all come later. You can and should take in bits and pieces of them from time to time, but your real focus now should be on getting simple programs to run and learning to fix them when they don't run. Don't get ahead of yourself - it's a long road, but you get there in good order if you take it one step at a time.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:33 AM

I am currently using a book recommended to me by GregBrannon, it is a great book called Java Notes I would definitely recommend it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:43 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 09 October 2012 - 09:53 AM, said:

your real focus now should be on getting simple programs to run and learning to fix them when they don't run.

Bad form to quote myself, I know, but I wanted to just highlight this. This is critical. If you learn this part, you'll miss out on a lot of no-fun frustration and you'll spend a lot more time doing fun learny stuff.

The simplest rule for debugging a program that I know of goes like this:
It's doing what you told it to do. To find out why it's doing what it's doing, understand the code you wrote.

Once you get hold of that, debugging is a lot easier.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1