• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

60 Replies - 3136 Views - Last Post: 10 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Forming a team to develop the most ambitious text-based game ever

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

The title is not a joke. Let me tell you about this game.

The game is called Explurse, and it's a text-based space strategy game. Sounds simple enough...some of you guys have probably played these kinds of games, but Explurse is much, much different. Explurse's origins can be traced back to more then 5 years ago, when it was just a simple idea and nothing else, but now it has evolved.

Like most space strategy games, Explurse gives players control of their own empire, and let's them construct structure and research technology to expand from one colony, to many. Generally, these games are pretty straight forward in what the player must do to "win the game" (There's never a real ending to these games though).

Explurse aims to re-define the genre, and let players do more then they have ever been able to do before. With these types of games, players are often restricted in various ways, the main ways are through "hard caps" and "soft caps". Hard caps are restrictions that the player may not in any way get around, while soft caps are more like difficult barriers that constantly increase in difficulty. The most common soft cap is in FPS games where each time the player levels up, the next level requires more points, and the hard cap would be in a game like Call of duty, you can not go above rank 50.

We are rethinking the ways things work with Explurse, and it shows. Players in Explurse will no longer be restricted with hard caps...at all, and soft caps are going to change as well. We feel that this genre has been neglected, and mislead for to long. We are changing things and will set a new standard for the genre.

We can't do this alone though. Currently our team consist of 1 coder, 1 master mind, an author, and possibly up to 4 3D artist. Join our plot for world domination!!

I know I really haven't revealed any real information about the game, but at this point we'll be keeping things on the down low. If you are interested in working with us, then please email me instead of replying here, my email is below.

worldwar224@gmail.com

We know what we want to do after Explurse, we will be forming a legitimate game development studio, and have a few projects lined up after Explurse, including a social network, and a game aimed to take on Evony.

Oh, and I should probably...just maybe include these helpful details:

The game is being coded in C++ and we're using Python. We may use OpenGL4 or WebGL.

I probably need to include these details:

The game is being coded in C++ and Python, we may also be using OpenGL4

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Forming a team to develop the most ambitious text-based game ever

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Forming a team to develop the most ambitious text-based game ever

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:51 PM

Moved to Post a Job.

Is this another MMORPG where the developers will be paid once the game starts making money? Some more details about the expectations, hours, location, pay, business plan and model, etc., would be helpful for those considering this offer.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

This does not seem to be the appropriate place for this topic, but ok...

Currently, the only coder (Jacob) lives in Germany, but may be moving to L.A soon. I (the mastermind) live in Reno, NV. Location is not important, but after the game we could start up an actual studio, possibly in Reno.

Because we have virtually no idea how many players to expect in our first year, we are unable to promise a certain amount, but I can say this, we expect to get a lot of players.. we're very passionate about this game and we're making sure that it is the absolute best that it can be.

We need coders who are willing to put in at least 4 hours a day, and really be dedicated to this project. Once you learn more about the game, and how dam cool it's going to be, you will want to be a part of it.

The game is "Free to play" but like always, there will be in game items available for purchase with real life money. The game is 100% fair though, and we have spent a LOT of time trying to figure out the best way to make it free to play, rather then pay to win.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:58 AM

I hope you don't mind answering some of my questions too in addition to those of macosxnerd101:

- How will a developer who works for you be compensated for his (at least) 28 hour workweek?
- How far has the development of the game progressed so far? On your website there's talk about an alpha release somewhere in september. Is this old information or is there an alpha we can try out?
- Could you please tell us which tasks you fulfil in the development team with your title of "master mind" (with exception of recruitment ;) ) ?

Thank you for your time in advance!

Also the forum on your site seems down; i'm getting HTTP 404's.

This post has been edited by JoopBananenbuiger: 10 October 2012 - 08:00 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:32 AM

All the information at explurse.com is VASTLY outdated and the game has changed sooo much since then. Because we do not know how much we could earn after Explurse is released, we can not talk about money. At this time we're just 2 guys with a dream. Explurse is unlike anything else out there, so if it gets completed I am confident that it will make quite a bit of money.

My role of "mastermind" pretty much has me in charge of design, but I have done others things as well. I also contact people (as I'm doing now) and organize things. I have contacted an author who is working on a storyline for the game, once released we will have "short stories" released every month that will advance the story, and at certain points we will have special events happen in the game that follow the story.

At this point there is no erm... "accurate" alpha to show. We did create a small little game called Explurse to test some things out, but virtually nothing in the game matches what Explurse is going to be.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

There are thousands of topics here exactly like yours :

Best MMORPG/Text Based Game ever
Need developers
Profit after sales

What developers are looking for are projects that pay for their skill. Projects that pay dividends are investments. & unless there are previous sales, there is very little interest by a veteran developer. What you will get is interested candidates with little to no development experience, & absolutely no game development experience. Their only interest is to learn how to make games.

You need to change your business model to generate interest from the developers that posses the skill set you are after.

View Postur twin, on 10 October 2012 - 01:32 PM, said:

Because we do not know how much we could earn after Explurse is released, we can not talk about money.

In my experience, money is talked about up front. I need to know if it's worth my time or not. If the payer wont' talk about it up front, it's worth their time & not mine. To this, I walk away.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:49 AM

And if you are serious about starting a business, then you need to sit down and develop a business plan. Then look at finances. You can raise money by funding it yourself, going to angel investors or venture capitalists, going through a startup incubator (many of which are geared towards tech startups), etc. Once you have money, you can pay developers; but just paying developers (especially experienced developers) in equity probably won't get you very far.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

The reality of the situation here is that me and my friend don't have jobs. We can cover small cost for the game when it is needed, but we are not capable of "hiring" anyone at this time.

You may get post like this, but here are some details about the game, and these details will matter to those who have ever played a game in this genre:

ALL planets in Explurse will be proceduraly generated, meaning that every single one is going to look different, they are going to be in 3D and they are going to have active weather effects, meaning that you can look down on your photo-realistic (Did I forget to mention that?) planets and watch as lightning storms tear up the night sky, or as dust storms blow across your planets, snow falls, rain falls ect... At this point you may think that this is all just for looks, but everything that happens to your planet matters. Explurse is not only about building an empire, but also managing that empire.

Explurse will introduce ground combat (Something MANY games of the genre do not have) and will do it better then ever imagined. Every planets, moon, even asteroids will have zones in which you need to capture in order to capture that planet. There will be ways of forming beach heads and establish defenses lines to stop your enemy, or to aid in your advance across his land. As he loses these zones, the effects are felt on the planet.

I'm not going to reveal much more...

We are passionate about Explurse, and we are doing everything to make it the best game that it can be, if you join us then you will see that passion merge with what we have planned for this game. We could get 600K players the first year, and that number is likely to climb. If everything goes as planned for Explurse, then we could make a lot of money.

As far as the studio goes.. yes, it is highly likely that after Explurse we will establish an actual game development studio and move onto other projects.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:22 AM

The problem isn't the fact that you lack passion or motivation, but you are asking someone with professional skills who already probably puts in 12 hours a day to also put in 4 hours a day to your project. You also require them to do this with out even a mention of how they will get paid. Honestly, you might think your project is different but it isn't. There is no difference between your proposal and the hundreds of others we have gotten here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

View Postur twin, on 10 October 2012 - 02:08 PM, said:

We could get 600K players the first year, and that number is likely to climb.

How did you come up with this number?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:00 PM

View Postur twin, on 10 October 2012 - 02:08 PM, said:

ALL planets in Explurse will be proceduraly generated, meaning that every single one is going to look different, they are going to be in 3D and they are going to have active weather effects, meaning that you can look down on your photo-realistic (Did I forget to mention that?) planets and watch as lightning storms tear up the night sky, or as dust storms blow across your planets, snow falls, rain falls ect... At this point you may think that this is all just for looks, but everything that happens to your planet matters. Explurse is not only about building an empire, but also managing that empire.

A text-based game with 3D, photorealistic, procedurally generated planets? How are you going to pull that off? You can't have both. It's either a 3D game, or it's a text-based game.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

The problem is that I'm not coming here looking for "professionals". I'm looking for people who have average skills and want to be a part of something. If a "professional" wishes to join the team, then that's cool, but we don't have a professional budget.

After Explurse, any one on our team will be offered an actual job once we get our studio going, and we will continue onto new projects, not all of them will be games.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

What are you going to do about the name?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:17 PM

No offense, but you are not currently employed, & with no funds for a project you are going to talk about getting work for others?

You really have the cart before the horse.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:26 PM

What am i going to do about the name? Nothing. Explurse is fine, it is unique, and it is easy to remember.

Also, @ Kilorn, you are wrong. You do not understand this game, only the parts I have told you, the game is text-based, but it does have 3D. It is not right to call it "3D" when battles and many other things are still text-based, but at the same time it isn't fully text based.

@ no2pencil, you couldn't be more wrong. Yes, I'm not employed, but when Explurse is done I will be, I'll be my own boss and Explurse with have jobs to fill, those who helped make Explurse will get first pick.

I'm asking people to join a TEAM, not a JOB.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »