• Last »

60 Replies - 3137 Views - Last Post: 10 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

#16 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Forming a team to develop the most ambitious text-based game ever

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:28 PM

So getting to the point, is this a for fun project or are you starting a business? If you are starting a business, how will you be funding this project? What type of corporation will you be creating? Is this a Delaware corporation?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#17 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:30 PM

View Postur twin, on 10 October 2012 - 03:26 PM, said:

@ no2pencil, you couldn't be more wrong. Yes, I'm not employed, but when Explurse is done I will be, I'll be my own boss and Explurse with have jobs to fill, those who helped make Explurse will get first pick.

Please answer this post.

& the minute promise to pay money for a product, you are offering a job.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:37 PM

View Postur twin, on 10 October 2012 - 02:26 PM, said:

What am i going to do about the name? Nothing. Explurse is fine, it is unique, and it is easy to remember.

... and it sounds like someone vomiting.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:40 PM

Working on this game has been fun, but I am taking it serious as well, I need an income, and I'm hoping Explurse will provide that, and more. Explurse is a way for us not only to make money, but expand our team to take on even harder projects.

I got the 600K figure by looking at the number of games in the genre, their members, their growth rate and possibly players from other genres that might be interested (Such as Evony). I truly think that his game could get over 1M players, not right away..but eventually. I've been playing text-based games since the start, and I've become quite good at analyzing their problems, and what cause those problems.

I believe that the way we have designed Explurse's game play to be, that there is literally only 1 reason to create a multi-account, and that is to spy on an opposing guild. We will allow players to transfer funds between each-other, a feature hat is often against the rules in other games. Explurse IS different. I've played these games for to long, Explurse is not a copy of other games at all, it is truly unique and will offer players gameplay that they've never had before.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:02 PM

POPULAR

You keep talking about text-based games, and I think you're confused on what the meaning of text-based actually is. Games such as Evony, which you mentioned, are not text-based. They're 2D browser games. Text-based games are old school games that contain extremely limited, or no, graphics. Games like the old school MUD's (Multi-User Dungeon) are text-based. Everything in the game is handled through text. Room descriptions are written on the screen, if you want your character to do something, you have to type a command. Games where you click on graphical representations of buildings, such as Evony, and then choose to build units, or click a plot of empty land and choose to build a building are not text-based. There may be text in the game, but by that logic almost every game created has been a text-based game.

Here is a screen shot of a text-based game:
Posted Image

Here is a screen shot of Evony, a non-text-based game:
Posted Image

There are obvious and massive differences in these types of games.

This post has been edited by Kilorn: 10 October 2012 - 01:03 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 8
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:07 PM

Well, it's not quite fair to call my game 3D either. Astro Empires, another game, and at the moment the best game in the genre is considered text-based.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

POPULAR

Astro Empires - Free MMO Space Strategy Browser Game

This is how the game is described when doing a google search for it. This is not a text-based game. It's a 2D browser based space strategy simulation game. If your game is planning on being similar to it in look and feel, then it would be categorized similarly. I say that it is 2D because all images of planets, ships, modules, maps, and everything else are represented with 2-dimensional graphics. Even if the ship models or planets or anything else are created using 3D modelling software and rendered into images to be drawn to the browser window later, they are still effectively 2D graphics.

As for the actual project itself and the comments made by others here, don't let them discourage you. That is not their goal. We see the same exact posts on here multiple times per week about the next greatest game ever made and people trying to put together a small team of newer developers to contribute and bring the game to life. After seeing so many of them fail for the obvious reasons such as no funding, lack of free time for the developers to work on them, high demands and limited knowledge and experience, less than solid understanding of the technologies required, we've all become very skeptical of projects like this. Nobody here is trying to be rude to you and tell you that you will never be able to complete this game, we're all just simply trying to get you to understand the massive undertaking that you've apparently already began digging into.

Creating games is NOT easy. If it was, then everyone would be doing it. There is a reason why the large game companies ARE large game companies. Their teams of developers have the experience and knowledge to accomplish goals set by game designers. They have the funding to hire people to devote at least 40 hours per week to their project. They have investors that have a monetary interest in the project succeeding. They have staff that have very clear and defined deadlines with incredibly specific tasks laid out by game designers and senior developers.

Unfortunately there are far too many people out there who want to make games for a living, but don't have the organizational skills, the monetary backup, the time, or even the willingness to push themselves to learn incredibly advanced topics in order to meet deadlines and achieve goals.

On a very rare occasion you will hear of very small teams creating games that become incredibly successful such as Terraria, Minecraft, the original Portal, etc. These are the vast minority. For each small team of friends that get together and make a game and actually manage to release a game there are countless other small teams that think they can do the same and inevitably fail due the inherent pitfalls that we all eventually run into.

The best way to avoid those pitfalls is to have a very clear design document. Clearly defined roles for each member of the team, these can become blurred with the smaller teams due to everyone having to pitch in on numerous aspects of the project in order to get it completed. You also need firm, static deadlines that HAVE to be met. Missing a deadline cannot be a possibility. If you're too relaxed on on people meeting their deadlines, then people are going to slack off and miss those deadlines. When this happens, the project gets further behind, causing all future deadlines to also be missed. The more times this happens, the less progress will be made on the game and the more people are likely to become discouraged. When this happens there is a vicious cycle that begins where lack of productivity breeds less desire to be productive and at that point, you're doomed.

It is possible to be successful with a small team of developers who aren't being paid, but as the saying goes, "You get what you pay for." It's going to be a VERY difficult road, and the chances for failure are vastly greater than the chances for success. Be wary of this and make sure the members of the team are fully on board to make sacrifices to get things done, to learn what needs to be learned, and to stick with it until it is finished and you MIGHT be able to release a game that can be profitable.

Good luck.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, if the game you're creating is going to be multiplayer, which you've already stated that it is, then multiply the difficulty that I've spoken about by however many players you think you will have. Games are incredibly difficult to make, multiplayer games are vastly MORE difficult.

This post has been edited by Kilorn: 10 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 8
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:49 PM

At this moment, it's me, my friend, an author, and possibly up to 4 3D designers on the team. We obviously need more coders. I DO have a plan for funding, but we're just not at that stage yet. We need more coders.

We don't actually have nay of the actual game started...and there's a good reason for that: Originally the game was going to be a download, so we started working on the game's map and had that finished mostly...but we eventually realized that the game being browser based was going to allow easier access to the game from pretty much anywhere, work, on the way to work, ect...

If we started right now with 3-4 coders, we could have the game done in the next 3-4 months, really depending on how dedicated everyone was to this. This game will lure people to it for more then just the game it's self, the story going along with it is really great, and a short story will be released following certain characters every month with an amazing plot spanning over 600 years.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

View Postur twin, on 10 October 2012 - 03:49 PM, said:

If we started right now with 3-4 coders, we could have the game done in the next 3-4 months, really depending on how dedicated everyone was to this.

Where do you get this estimate? Zero to lauch in four months sounds rather optimistic, especially considering you haven't even met the 3-4 programmers involved.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#25 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

I've never understood how non-developers can make estimations on developers.

In order for my business to be successful, I have to know ever aspect of it, from the hands on work to the paper work. If one of my employees falls short, I have to see it, correct it, or pick up the pieces & do it myself. Doesn't matter if it's providing an estimate, talking with an angry customer, or providing the service, it's all on my shoulders.

I just don't see how a non-developer can pull off leading a team to complete a project of something that they have no clue how to create.

From that list of games that Kilorn provided. How many of them were non-developers?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 10 October 2012 - 03:58 PM, said:

I've never understood how non-developers can make estimations on developers.

Don't get me started...
If I never meet another "mastermind" in my life, I'll be just fine with that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:22 PM

This estimation does not come from me actually, but from my friend, Jacob, the coder.

I am leading the game as far as design goes, the entire concept is in my hands, and I organize things as well. I don't need to be a developer to contact an author and ask him to join our team. Same goes here. I understand what code the person needs to know and I go from there.

The hardest part of this game is going to be the planet generator no doubt, once we overcome that the rest of the game is fairly simple.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

I would like to ask you one thing. You said the game will be made with C++ but it is browser based? C++ is not meant for browsers, you are going to want to use something like Ruby on Rails, PHP (Most Popular), or ASP.NET. These languages were specifically designed for the web.

EDIT: If your modeling your game after evony, It looks like Evony was written as a flash game.

This post has been edited by rgfirefly24: 10 October 2012 - 02:35 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

Man, you're hitting all the bingo points today.
Experienced programmers typically head for the door at certain phrases, and "the rest should be fairly simple" is one of them. It means "we haven't really planned out most of what we're doing" and it typically precedes a death march project.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:31 PM

View Postur twin, on 10 October 2012 - 04:49 PM, said:

At this moment, it's me, my friend, an author, and possibly up to 4 3D designers on the team. We obviously need more coders. I DO have a plan for funding, but we're just not at that stage yet. We need more coders.

We don't actually have nay of the actual game started...and there's a good reason for that: Originally the game was going to be a download, so we started working on the game's map and had that finished mostly...but we eventually realized that the game being browser based was going to allow easier access to the game from pretty much anywhere, work, on the way to work, ect...

If we started right now with 3-4 coders, we could have the game done in the next 3-4 months, really depending on how dedicated everyone was to this. This game will lure people to it for more then just the game it's self, the story going along with it is really great, and a short story will be released following certain characters every month with an amazing plot spanning over 600 years.

You know what, I wish you all the best and hopefully you do find people who are willing and able to assist you on the game. :)

Don't be offended or annoyed by how some of these posts sound - realize that we get a ton of threads very similar to this one claiming to be the next "Big Game" and asking for "coders". Our profession is one of sacrifice and it requires certain aptitudes to become good at it. Most people aren't cut out for programming, and that's fine, but when people underestimate the sleepless nights and sheer trials and failures we have to face to become good, it cheapens our efforts.

You say you can't discuss money now, that's fine. I'm sure some people out here will be willing to take a risk and gamble on the success of the game. I just wanted to post this so you don't get the wrong idea from this forum. We're aren't dicks, we're just cynical at this point. All the best!
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »