8 Replies - 974 Views - Last Post: 12 October 2012 - 10:47 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to get a static location job in computing?

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:14 PM

Now this isn't a question directly concerning programming in itself. I was wondering if there is a growing abundance in computing jobs that do not require travel (I realize every region is more or less different).

Help? I have a couple years left of college and am hoping to find work that does not require travel or relocating.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to get a static location job in computing?

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to get a static location job in computing?

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:25 PM

<Insert something about furious masturbation here />

You may wanna try the Student Campus or Corner Cubical.. This is the off-topic forum.

This post has been edited by Sho Ke: 09 October 2012 - 08:25 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

View PostSho Ke, on 09 October 2012 - 08:25 PM, said:

<Insert something about furious masturbation here />

You may wanna try the Student Campus or Corner Cubical.. This is the off-topic forum.

All right, can this get moved?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

Yes. Moving to the Corner Cubicle.

Some jobs require lots of travel, some a little travel, and some no travel. This really varies by employer, and is something you would want to talk about with your potential employer. There really is no magic formula or much more we can say than that the jobs you are looking for are far from scarce. Your particular college probably has better information. Talk to your academic adviser and college career center.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:13 AM

There are a lot of work-from-home jobs out there that wouldn't involve travel. If commuting is a problem, then you can choose to live next to work, as I do. That will cut down on your commute.

In my experience software dev. jobs don't usually involve travel at all, apart from to the office every morning.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:13 AM

View Postwordswords, on 10 October 2012 - 07:13 AM, said:

There are a lot of work-from-home jobs out there that wouldn't involve travel. If commuting is a problem, then you can choose to live next to work, as I do. That will cut down on your commute.

In my experience software dev. jobs don't usually involve travel at all, apart from to the office every morning.

Fully agree with you wordswords. My apartment is, even in rush hour traffic going through 8 stop-light intersections, only about 10 minutes away. Ideally I would love a full-telecommuting position just to be flexible for travel after I graduate with my bachelors, but I enjoy where I'm at, who I work with, and my personal abode is just far enough from the office to easily separate the two.

Besides the commute, the most travel I have to do occasionally is a 5 minute drive to the Main department building as all of the I.T. people are here in a centralized location with other departments.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:18 AM

Sounds ideal. The biggest concern of the commute was having to conduct business trips and the like.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 BenignDesign  Icon User is online

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:39 AM

I worked several years at a development firm and I was required to travel to client sites once or twice a year. I was lucky enough that these were always local sites and the trips could be completed in a day.

Currently, I work for a college and aside from my daily commute, the bulk of my travel is walking from my building to my boss' building for weekly meetings.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:47 AM

This is going to depend to some extent on where you're located. Here in Massachusetts, there's a lot of work in computing - at all levels - within easy reach. If I wanted to get a car, I'd open up my options a little, but I like commuting by bike, and there's still a lot to choose from.
There are people at my company who travel for work - to New York, to London, and to Manila, mostly - but mostly we all stay put.
In areas with a less developed computing economy, it might be harder to be choosy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1