• +

34 Replies - 2788 Views - Last Post: 18 October 2012 - 05:35 AM

#31 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Humble eBooks

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:30 PM

It's not an issue of taste - it would be an issue of performance. *snicker* I paid good money to see a performance done by stand up band and not a hodgepodge of what evers. If Beibs had ditched his band for a muster of screeching tween fans I might be pissed $500.00 front row ticket was cheapened.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

View Postbaavgai, on 18 October 2012 - 01:21 AM, said:

Cool.

View Postmodi123_1, on 17 October 2012 - 04:21 PM, said:

but I don't see anybody getting shafted.

One would argue the fans that paid for for tickets may have been shafted.

One could argue the same for a Justin Bieber concert. And, yet, the people who actually bought the tickets might disagree. Taste is a mysterious thing.

I guess what he meant was that since the players weren't getting payed why should Amanda Palmer get all the money from the concert. Yes, she made the concert happen. Yes, she got the venue and other stuff. But getting money from the concert goers even though the concert has its costs cut because the musicians aren't payed, there seems to be something wrong here. I don't know if she threw in the facade of the concert being for charity, but if she didn't, more the shame on her.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#33 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:25 PM

The funny thing is, even by her numbers the cost was not an issue. She had a million bucks given to her free and clear to put on a tour and promote the album - the album was evidently funded by other sources. By her numbers, the cost of paying the musicians she wanted would have been $40K all together. Well, she had the money, she just failed to budget for it. Why? Apparently it was more important to put together a mobile art gallery than to pay the people who she wants on her stage to make her sound good.

Feh. This is getting old. If you like her, if you like her music, I hope you enjoy the show. To me, she's a useless yob and a typical liberal in the Phil Ochs sense ("ten degrees to the left of center in the good times, ten degrees to the right of center when it affects her personally"), and I've given her far too much of my attention today. I'm out.
Pleasure arguing with you as always, baavgai.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:33 AM

A bunch of unpaid amateurs banging around on stage not your thing? Fine, then you aren't her audience. Her audience, like Bieber and anyone else's audience, pay to see what that performer has to offer. You think that performer does things that are questionable or cheat their public? Then you aren't the one buying the tickets.

Amanda Palmer? I don't know her. Never listened to a song. Her style of music doesn't appear to be my taste, but I could be wrong in my ignorance. I know people who gush over her and people who loathe her. I really couldn't care less about her. I do like Neil Gaiman.

Why the argument? First, simple curiosity at the slander. Then, seeing that perception plays a major role in how you feel about her actions, figuring out the root of those views.

There are paradigms in play here that do relate to the topic. Mostly who, how, why, and if someone gets paid for their creative effort. And what that means to everyone else.

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 17 October 2012 - 10:25 PM, said:

Pleasure arguing with you as always, baavgai.

Same.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:35 AM

I'm kind of baffled by this as well... the entire genre of music seems to be 'be proud because its DIY and don't make any effort to make it sound better than DIY music'. I mean, the effort to capture an entire sphere of socially interactive musical interaction is great- the stereotypical gypsy caravan comes to mind- and the attempt to do new things, and find clever and useful ways to do new and old things together- I'm all for that. And I'm all for steam punk, and industrial punk, and novel settings for storytelling and novel stories to be told, and for cool things that inspire art and so on.

But these things never seem to end up as anything more than stony jam sessions where a bunch of people wear brass goggles and beat tin cans together, or play guitars made from 2x4's, and everybody wears fingerless groves and has lots of brass gear jewelry showing, and geeks out about the same websites, and how gothic/emo/steampunk/vamp/whatever everything is. If it floats your boat? Fine, enjoy, I'm not against that, it's just not to my taste and this is how I see fit to describe it, so take that for what it is.

But with all of these, with kickstarter rounds or without, I don't see how a professional musician is going to mistake that for a musical performance (generally)- and I really don't see how they'll feel they've been denied a chance at an honest gig. This looks like a 'geek out over steampunk' tour with a beat.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +