2 Replies - 1255 Views - Last Post: 10 October 2012 - 09:30 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Wanting to move to GUI programming from CLI.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:00 AM

Hello all,

I am a fulltime worker and have been finishing up a bachelors in a non-cs major, I have taken 2 semesters of C++ using this book Starting Out with C++: Early Object During the class all we did was console programs and never got into GUI stuff. I have made a few little console programs for work that actually come in handy. Its so cool to actually use something you learned in class to make your job easier.

I am wanting to try and move some of my programs to a GUI based design but I am lost as to what route to take. I have 2 sesmesters of c++ under my belt but i feel like i still know nothing lol. Anyway since i have this foundation would I be better to try and do something like Visual C++ or is there something else that would compliment my existing c++ knowledge.
I have tried to use some video tutorials for C++ but i am so confused as to where my code would go and stuff.

Thanks for you time
Cris

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Wanting to move to GUI programming from CLI.

• </code.in.dream>

• View blog

Re: Wanting to move to GUI programming from CLI.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:14 AM

Well! It is a good decision to learn GUI programming... There are many options to do, but if you just want to create GUIs and stuff and go easy with them you can go for Visual C++: MFC (Microsoft Foundation Classes). But, if you want to look deeply and closer into GUI, I suggest that you start with win32. With win32 API you will learn plenty of things which will be helpful for future learning of Visual C++'s MFC classes and other stuff... From there you can go with Qt framework and life will be very easy....

Following are some resources:
win32 API:

Tutorials
And a good book:
Windows Programming

Hope this Helps!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Wanting to move to GUI programming from CLI.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

Ok, Thanks for some direction. I'll take a look at those links.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1