4 Replies - 6377 Views - Last Post: 10 October 2012 - 07:10 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

what are differences between java, visual basic and c++

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

Hello . Anyone know what are differences between java, visual basic and c++ in terms of learn ability . tq .
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: what are differences between java, visual basic and c++

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: what are differences between java, visual basic and c++

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:06 AM

This question probably doesn't have a right answer, as ease learning languages is pretty subjective. That said, C++ is a hard language to learn if you've never programmed before, especially when you consider user interface. Both Visual Basic (WinForms, WPF) and Java (Swing, JavaFX) make putting together a form-based application pretty easy.

Both Visual Basic and Java deal with memory management for you, so you don't have to think too much about freeing memory when you're done using it. In Java, almost everything is a reference; in C++, you always have a choice between whether something is passed by pointer, reference, or value.

Ultimately, it really depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to learn good object-oriented programming, I would go with Java (or C#, for many of the same reasons, but that wasn't on your list). It's what I learned when I took college courses, and I can see why. It really allows you to concentrate on structure and algorithm without thinking about the platform specifics, memory management, etc.

Now that I've discouraged you from learning C++, I should probably mention what's good about it (this is in no way exhaustive):

1. There are millions of great open source projects too look at and learn from.
2. It's incredibly powerful. It splits the difference between high level and low level, so you have things like inline assembly and bitfields along side fancy high-level stuff like multiple inheritance, templates, and even lambda functions.

What kind of projects are you interested in doing? Are you just learning a language for the sake of learning to program? I haven't mentioned Visual Basic much at all because I'm least familiar with it.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:16 AM

Thank you so much for that helping . This is very helpful . I just want to learn more detail about that . Thnks again . .:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:15 PM

View PostNathanMullenax, on 10 October 2012 - 11:06 AM, said:

Both Visual Basic (WinForms, WPF) and Java (Swing, JavaFX) make putting together a form-based application pretty easy.

Both Visual Basic and Java deal with memory management for you, so you don't have to think too much about freeing memory when you're done using it. In Java, almost everything is a reference; in C++, you always have a choice between whether something is passed by pointer, reference, or value.

There are millions of great open source projects too look at and learn from.

It's incredibly powerful. It splits the difference between high level and low level, so you have things like inline assembly and bitfields along side fancy high-level stuff like multiple inheritance, templates, and even lambda functions.

True
True for every language?
Bitfields are in C#, multiple inheritance isn't always a good thing (There's a reason its broken into interfaces in java/C#), generics/templates are in every modern language also, and C# has lambdas as well.

These days you really can't go wrong learning one of those 3 languages, if you want to be able to jump at multiple platforms off the bat then go with java, otherwise I'd suggest moreso towards C# with how much more power it has over java and its wider feature set.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• There is nothing you can't do with a JTable
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:10 PM

If it is for a job:

http://www.eweek.com...earn-Right-Now/
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +