3 Replies - 5043 Views - Last Post: 15 October 2012 - 05:41 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Database for locker-room - problem with schema idea

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:12 AM

Hello,
Iím new here, so I suppose that my question and topic of the database were discussed many, many times, but unfortunately I donít understand everything, thatís why I want to ask people who have much more experience with databases. Becouse I need to exceptionally some simply database in Access, with is a bit something new for me. Topic of database is locker-room for production crews, so itís a unit in factory, which assign for every employee a trousers, shoes, helmet, glasses and many other things, when He start work. Every employee also has of course individual locker. So for example. Mrs. John start His work in Juanary 2012, and He get:
- 4 pair of trousers
- 1 helmet
- 1 glasses
- 2 pair shoes
And for example after 6 month of work, He has been fired, so He gives back every item.
Now, the whole problem for me is how to create a database diagram to allow control every item given to each employee. I must point that those items donít have any serial number or something, so one helmet is this same like second and so on. So I only need to have actual number of every item given to employee.
Continuing my example, after Mrs John gives back everything, his card file should indicate: (0 pair of trousers, 0 helmet etc.)
I really donít know how to realize it, If there were only one thing prescribed to user, I think that I would know how to do it, but here I have about 10 items, which I need to control. Please, I would be very very very gratefuly for any advice, and help.
Below I attach 2 difrent ideas of my think, but any of those arenít good ( I suppose  )
P.S Sorry for my english, but Iím from Poland.

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image
  • Attached Image

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Database for locker-room - problem with schema idea

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Database for locker-room - problem with schema idea

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:42 PM

Why repeat TypeOfEmployee and TypeOfPosition data in Card_Index and Operation tables?

I don't understand nature of Card_Index table in the second design.

Do you want to record dates of issue and return for each item independently of other items? Trousers will be 4 separate records?

This post has been edited by June7: 11 October 2012 - 04:44 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:36 AM

Hmmm I type of position is real position in company for example: Warhouse clerk etc, Type of employee is only for that to describe is the employee is fully associated or His is a contractor (outsourcing). Hmm I don't know is there something is good:) I was only my first idea - just as You asked:), I thought that Card_index will be place where I can put the count of items each type taken by the employee. Yes I want to record dates independently but only for whole item family, not for every this same item, You know what I mean?:). For example, 4 pair of trousers will be only one record (not 4), becouse every trousers are the same, but of course, next item for example 2 pair of shoes, will be next indepentedly one new record. Yey:), You are the only person which response, please, maybe You have some idea?:)

P.S really sorry for my language;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:41 PM

Then structure in the first image seems fine to me. Except don't see need to duplicate employee and position types.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1