• (3 Pages)
  • +

41 Replies - 3866 Views - Last Post: 28 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Type of combat preferred in a game

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:32 AM

Yeah, anymore you can't find anyone else for a true "old school rules" battle...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:53 AM

Oh man, this brings back memories...

My strategies in fps games always kind of relied on a few things. First, when I was really into them, I had reflexes that nobody I knew (and almost nobody I ever played against) could touch. This isn't the big advantage it might seem like- it helped in 'big' games like battlefield with heavy weapons, I shot a lot of helicopters and even a few jets down with tanks and so on, but in those games you're cannon fodder. It made a huge difference in quake and the unreal tournament games, I think my favorite gaming memory is accidentally joining a (friendly? I never found out) apparent free-for-all match between two clans, getting the highest score, and then getting booted when the match ended and both sides realized I wasn't with either of them. If there was no lag, lan parties or bot matches or whatever, I was pretty badass with every version of the flak cannon (up to UT 2004, I think), and could drop flak grenades on peoples heads at a good distance, while moving, and to some extent even when they were behind cover.

I was a big fan of stealth too. I beat splinter cell (the first one) without killing anybody but Grinko and Nikolai, and wasted months of my life on the excellent Thief series of games, but that never translated well to multiplayer, because there was never much reason to use those methods.

Then I grew up and didn't have time to play anymore. :(
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Death Scythe
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:04 AM

In Battlefield 3 I tend to be a scout sniper. I will go to the edge of the map and watch for threats. If there are no threats I will sneak up to the back of an enemy flag. I will then proceed by silently killing all the enemies I can with a knife. If that doesn't work I will use my silenced M9. If tanks start coming or I get overwhelmed I will run somewhere and hide in a bush. Once the people leave I will repeat and capture the flag. I usually get minimal deaths using this strategy. When I'm feeling lazy I will hide in a bush and snipe everyone I can see.

And for some reason when I get a lot of kills the admin on the server tends to kick me. This is why 10 year-olds should not be able to play games like Battlefield. They kick everyone that's better than them.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:14 AM

i've always had a psychological approach. i usually let the enemy see me, then i run behind something and anticipate where theyll go or if theyll stay where they are, and move myself to the most advantageous position to fk them up. this could involve numerous feints
the only people i love to sneak up on is snipers. other than that i dont do much sneaking.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:51 PM

I like melee because game developers usually make it more powerful than ranged (get with the picture, ArenaNet) since ranged attacks have an inherent tactical advantage. And who doesn't like being the dude with the sword in Halo?
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:18 PM

No rpg players in here yet? sadface.

It depends on my mood really, (since i've been playing lots of skyrim lately) i tend to go for a mix stealth/melee. i'll start off sneaking and picking off the first couple enemies, and once i'm sighted go full on attack. though i also like playing around with magery and full stealth.

in MMOs it really depends on the battle system. some will have me lean more towards a rogue archetype, but others i'll be more comfortable with a mage. I'm a major FF mmo player, played FFXI for 7 years, and currently playing FFXIV, and i usually start off with healing, because it's easy and a good way to learn other jobs' roles in events, and then i move on to mage/DD/support, I've never really played tank though.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:37 PM

Extreme sniping. There's something just so satisfying about getting a headshot at about 1000 meters.
I mostly play ArmA... lol. But even in Minecraft, I am a beast at long ranges with a bow.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

Have you tried the Dayz mod? I want to buy it when I get a better computer but I've heard bad things about the community. However I've also heard that I should be fine if I find an okay server.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

Depends on the game. Most time I go as a rogue-type or ranger. Sometimes I just bust in there bullets flying.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:53 PM

View Postcreativecoding, on 11 October 2012 - 05:40 PM, said:

Have you tried the Dayz mod? I want to buy it when I get a better computer but I've heard bad things about the community. However I've also heard that I should be fine if I find an okay server.

I don't have a computer that can play ArmA 2 yet. I plan ArmA Armed Assault. It's pretty good if you don't play ArmA 2 before it lol

Meant to say Play not Plan lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:10 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:08 PM

Kinda depends on the game. I have always played with a preference for tactics and brains over brute force. Some games, though, you can't do that. BF3 sometimes allows you to cater to tactics, patience and playing smart but the game has too many hacks and because of that, I don't much play it anymore. Nothing worse than maneuvering well, taking your time and then having someone kill you through a clear hack.

I am currently part of a beta test program for an upcoming game release that this kind of applies to. Once upon a time I played this same genre and while it had elements that you'd hope would cater to maneuver, terrain and patience/brains, other "features" of the game were tossed in as a bone to those who'd rather play the game arcade style...and it ruined the more realism aspects. Things like having a frickin' radar show an enemy you couldn't possibly detect at a ridiculous distance no matter how well you approached and tried to conceal your approach. Or having a third person view (for no plausible reason whatsoever) that could allow you to see around intervening objects a little better than first person view and see potential ambushers. Well, this beta has absolutely neutered all that and it appears (currently) that these guys may have a real game-changer (sorry for the poor pun) here. This game could entirely revive the franchise and do it in a way that many purists wanted lo those many years back.

Anyway, my preferred method of gameplay is as realistic as possible. I typically dislike sniping because you'll get games like BF3 where half the team is snipers (an entirely unlikely scenario in any army anywhere). That said, if I see the opposition is kitted out like that, then I go grab my best combat knife and go sniper stalking. I adapt to the game I'm presented with. The games I like best are the ones where you have few external aids and have to rely on prediction (which means reading people by observing them) and superior tactics and placement.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Perfectly Squared ;)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:58 PM

View PostTh0rz669, on 12 October 2012 - 06:07 AM, said:

There's something just so satisfying about getting a headshot at about 1000 meters.

I totally second that. Also, being a sniper is advantageous if you are in a war game where you lead a team. You can make sure your teammates get minimum damage thanks to your sniping skills of taking out potential threats from far,especially the guys holding rocket launchers. It is advisable to take them out first or your teammates are gonna be toast!!

View Postmidknight51, on 11 October 2012 - 02:25 PM, said:

Sneaking, whether it's up close and personal or not, sneaking is how I always go. Something about entering and exiting a mission area without anyone knowing you were there is exciting to me. :shuriken:

Yeah, I have done that in Batman Arkham City, especially the silent takedowns. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Perfectly Squared ;)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:09 PM

View Posttotgeburt, on 11 October 2012 - 11:44 PM, said:

the only people i love to sneak up on is snipers.

Man, tell you what. That is the biggest disadvantage of being a sniper. Your 1000x scope is of virtually no use when someone sneaks upon you. In those cases, a melee attack is more effective.

View Postmodi123_1, on 11 October 2012 - 07:51 PM, said:

I would like to know as to how you face your opponents in games.

I personally like to take a nice warm shower followed up by a methodical straight razor shave. After a brisk pat of aftershave, and a thorough teeth brushing, I find a clean shirt and pants - of course with a sharp matching belt and shoes. I patiently iron the shirt and pants, don my evening garb, and give myself two spritz of a complementary cologne. Typically I try and show up about five minutes early, with a few flowers in hand, and take calm and even steps to the front door. I do not want to rush and work up a sweat nor do I want to stumble into the Dutch colonial house's topiary like some god awful Ben Stiller movie. With a large smile I greet who answered the door and proceed to engage in exploratory small arms conversation. This of course will shift and escalate with feigns and full frontal barrages.

Dude, I have to hand it to you. That was certainly a really unique kinda' reply. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:10 PM

I usually go with

> kill troll with sword
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +