4 Replies - 427 Views - Last Post: 11 October 2012 - 06:38 AM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

effectiveness of covering crimes "live"

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:00 AM

So not so long ago Fox news was airing a car chase in Arizona live when the man pulled off the road, ran into the desert, and shot himself. The news anchor was yelling at the crew to get the live feed off, but the crew was too slow in cutting to commercial so the mans suicide was broadcast on live TV. Also recently in California a car full of bank robbers started throwing cash out the windows during the pursuit. You can see swarms of people in the live feed running to pick up the money while cops are trying to navigate the already congested streets to keep up with the suspects.
Video of Bank Robbery Chase

My question is this. Do you think there is any value in showing things like car chases or crime scenes live on TV? The TV networks argue that covering car chases live helps in keeping people safe because it allows them to know what is going on as it is happening. I would personally say that while covering what is happening is good, showing it live can put more people at risk then keep them safe. Take the bank robbery for instance, if they hadn't shown the chase live on TV I'm betting half the people you see scrambling for money would have never known what was going on, or in the case of them using a delay would be going out after the pursuit already passed them, thus minimizing the risks to civilians.

This post has been edited by rgfirefly24: 11 October 2012 - 06:06 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: effectiveness of covering crimes "live"

#2 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Dic Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: effectiveness of covering crimes "live"

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:08 AM

It's not just the news. Read up on the events of Budd Dwyer.

I for one have mixed feelings on this, for different reasons.

One, people should see people die. It is a shock to the system & a grim reminder about making good/poor choices in ones life. On the other hand, I feel the news shouldn't constantly be searching for rankings, because it leads to constant bad news, & glorifies horrible lifestyles.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 BenignDesign  Icon User is online

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:24 AM

I don't agree that people should see people die. It only takes one death of a close friend or relative to remind you that you are, in fact, mortal.

I was 19 when my grandmother passed away. She'd been battling cancer for years and we knew the end was close. We had what essentially amounted to a week-long vigil where all of her kids and grandkids convened at her place to basically wait for her to die. It was a surreal experience and by the end of the week, we were all slaphappy.

I had a friend who lived down the street and six days in, I decided I needed a break from staring at Gram's fragile body sitting in a chair and I went to my friend's place for the night.

My mother called at 4am to tell me that Gram was gone and I needed to come back. When I arrived, the coroner hadn't been there yet and the image of my grandmother's body lying in her bed with her eyes open, mouth agape and one arm partially raised is forever burned into my corneas.

If there is one thing in my life I wish I hadn't witnessed, that would be it. I've lost a lot of loved ones over the years, but she was the only one I saw after death outside of a funeral home.

Maybe I've just lived a sheltered life, but I have a vivid enough imagination to picture the scene when my cousin Pat blew his brains out in the bathroom at work and when my friend's 10-year-old daughter was crushed by a tree and when one of my best friends awoke to find her husband dead in the bed next to her. I don't need to see it first hand to feel the effects of it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Dic Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:28 AM

Your of a reasonable mind. Kids that drive 100+ miles per hour texting YOLO.... I feel they should witness death taking place.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:38 AM

I would agree with B9 about things being burned into your brain. I would also say that showing these type of things on TV really doesn't help anyone. What you should really show is the aftermath of it. That person is gone, but what about everyone around them that has to deal with it? show people that and I'm sure it would sink in more then anything else.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1