2 Replies - 3014 Views - Last Post: 11 October 2012 - 10:35 AM

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Need some inspiration

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:20 AM

Hey all, for my final year project i have been tasked with making a location based service (LBS) app. I have thought of a few things for example:

• Tagging a photo based on where the picture was taken
  • An emergency service app e.g. tell the user where their nearest hospital is.
  • Location of atm's
  • An app that turns on and off ring tone on your phone based on where you are e.g. turn off ring tone if in work.

My university supervisor said that the emergency service app was ok but a bit too simplistic (i agree) he said to try to expand on this idea. However i can think of an good ideas.

SO i open the floor and ask you all to fire a few ideas my way.

Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Need some inspiration

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Need some inspiration

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:17 AM

Well, people can use google maps to find nearby hospitals already. Why not reverse the idea?
An app that will push alerts to your phone in case of an emergency. If there is a fire near you or near a marked place (for example you could mark your house and workplace) then it will send you an alert. If there is a hurricane warning or tsunami you will get the information pushed straight to your phone.

You could do some really interesting things with tiered databases - we have an emergency in adress XYZ in Salt Lake City, so grab the Utah DB, then consult the Salt Lake City pool of users, then find anyone who's last location is within X miles from the address and query their current locations, etc.

To my knowledge nothing like that exists, and there is a real need for it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Need some inspiration

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:35 AM

Thanks for the response. Would be a good idea for people in your area but i would like this to fit to my surrounding area 'Northern Ireland'.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1