• +
  • Last »

95 Replies - 8172 Views - Last Post: 30 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Tech Question of the Day

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:49 AM

So PEOPLE LIKE YOU are responsible for the retarded temperature extremes in my building! If it's still 57(F) in my office today, I may have to rethink liking you, neo. Just because.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• This space intentionally left blank
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:54 AM

View PostBenignDesign, on 11 October 2012 - 11:25 PM, said:

How did you manage to get the only knowledgeable phone tech on the entire planet?!?

It was actually some paid support contract that was already set up where you actually called and got a certain level of support right off the bat. I want to quit talking about it now cause I just realized that's been over 20 years ago. :(
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:26 AM

My best one was when I used to build custom computers---

caller: I need a new cup holder
me: cup holder? why are you calling me about a cup holder?
caller: well you supplied a built in cup holder and i broke it so i need a new one under warrantee.
me: I did not supply a cup holder, wait--- wher is thie "cup holder" located?
caller: well it is near the top of the computer tower and has a button on it and the cup holder opens up.
me: that is not a cup holder, that is a your cd rom, and no I will not cover this under warrantee since you failed to read the supplied manual and you broke it.
caller: so it's not a cup holder?
me: ::::click::::: hang up------
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:45 AM

If you guys like the stories here, this is right up your alley:

http://www.reddit.co...fromtechsupport
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

My worst one is when I worked as an IT tech at Steelcase, a furniture factory. The plant is 1.2 million square ft, one of the managers calls me to come check his monitor to see why it wont come up, he assures me the power is on, so I walk to the other side of the plant and pick up the power cord that is hanging behind the desk, and he looks at me and says "Oh, do you think that was the problem"?
And that is when I figured out they paid him entirely too much.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

I didn't do YOUR building, B9. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Watcher Outside Your Window

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:26 AM

This happened about 2 weeks ago on a client call. Not so much as stupid as too high expectations.

Client: We need a spinning globe while the screens are loading.
Lead Dev: Yeah, we can do that.
Client: The globe, before spinning should show the country where the user has logged in from and this should be happening at every postback. Also, user's country should be highlighted on the globe.
Lead Dev: *Heads out of the meeting room and bangs head on wall.*
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:10 AM

Love it! When I worked for the code farm development firm we used to get all kinds of off-the-wall animation requests: "When a user logs in, we thought it would be nice to have a Flash animation that shows their assigned counselor saying hello to them by name. You know, so they feel more comfortable using a system on the internet because they'll see someone who is their friend talking to them first thing. And then we thought it would be nice to have a button there where they can contact their counselor directly if they're not comfortable leaving a message. I've seen those websites where the people pop up and talk to you at the bottom of the screen, so I know this is possible. Which means the technology already exists so it shouldn't take long to build."

Thankfully, the bosses gave them such an outrageous quote for accomplishing this task that they decided they didn't need it.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• The Watcher Outside Your Window

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:08 AM

Ours is a pavilion project, so we get paid the same no matter how much hours we put in. My boss would probably have made a hole in that wall if they had asked for a guy saying hello. Lol.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• sudo pacman -S moneyz

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:09 PM

POPULAR

I was recently contacted by a designer who was looking for a freelance dev. His normal freelance jobs were working on flyers/signs/logos etc but he had a few clients asking for websites.

He gave me a PSD he'd made (just a mock test) , and asked me to make it into a website. I wrote it up as a static HTML/CSS page and hosted it on my server. He loved it and told me he had a job lined up.

So he messages me the next day and says that he's got a client who wants a website with an easy to edit shop, a custom made CMS and integrated twitter/facebook. Customers should be able to rate products and leave reviews if they want, and the client should be able to edit stock balance, information and images without any tech knowledge whatsoever.

So me thinking I'm about to get a juicy pay check, he sends his next message:

Yeah so if you're interested we could get working on it straight away. I'll send the design PSDs over tomorrow. Since I'm doing all the design work we should probably split it 75-25(%) to me.

Needless to say, I didn't take the job.
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:25 AM

Yeah so if you're interested we could get working on it straight away. I'll send the design PSDs over tomorrow. Since I'm doing all the design work we should probably split it 75-25(%) to me.

why didnt you get the job _--- I think 75% for you is fair ----at least that's what you should have said
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:39 AM

I had a defect raised for a project I was working on -
"Printer wouldn't print"
resolution "Paper tray was empty, added more paper"
How they couldn't figure that out, and had to raise a defect I have no idea.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:55 PM

View PostDarenR, on 15 October 2012 - 01:25 PM, said:

why didnt you get the job _--- I think 75% for you is fair ----at least that's what you should have said

From his story the guy is full of himself. After him dropping the 75% - 25% thing to me, giving him a punch would be more satisfying and will yield more happiness for me as opposed to trying to reason out with a delusional person.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Perfectly Squared ;)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:10 AM

POPULAR

I just have to post this.It happened just few minutes ago!!!

My office net connection was not responding so I called up the help desk to see if they could fix it.The first question from the tech support guy was "Is your computer switched on?"

I just laughed and said, "Seriously, dude...if it was not switched on,how will I know that the net connection is not responding?"

To which he laughed and responded "Sorry sir, we are always expected to ask this question whenever anyone calls us.It helps us to know what kind of person we are dealing with.If he responds in an angry tone, we know that he is a grumpy type and so we will be extra careful in solving his problem.On the other hand,if the person responds by laughing, we know that he is a cool person with a sense of humor."

I was pretty much amazed by his answer.These tech support guys sure have ways to know the customers they are dealing with. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• = -1
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:38 AM

Ah back to this thread. The "game of tennis" I described earlier has now flared up into a boxing match. Seems like the client didn't think things through, and didn't subject the requested changes to any testing. Now there are legal problems because a large number of employees have had access to sensitive information regarding compensation payouts. Fun times...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »