• « First

95 Replies - 7921 Views - Last Post: 30 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

#76 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Tech Question of the Day

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

See.. it's those sorts of questions that keep me solidly in the tier II support group!
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:14 AM

At one of the factories that I worked at there where these phones in every department that you can call. Each phone had it's own number (like an extension 2962)
For fun, We would look to see if anyone was near one of the phones, then we would go to another phone and page that person to call us but we would give the number of the phone that they were standing by. When that person tried to call us back they would get a busy signal, since they were calling their own phone!

It was a good laugh to watch them get mad, "How can I call them if they won't get off the phone!"

As far as tech questions:
One of the techs had an error message come up on the Host system for the Gantry. He said "This error came up and I don't know what to do." I looked at the error message and said "You click the one and only option that have to click." he gave me a puzzled look, then I said "Click OK". He was all like "I didn't know what to do". There's only one option!
It's just a general message that let's you know that CT gantry is screwed up. As far as what's really wrong you have to dig through the error logs to find out.

-Windows errors should have two options (OK) and (NOT OK), if you click NOT OK you get a core dump or something to look at. :)/>
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#78 BenignDesign  Icon User is online

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:39 AM

POPULAR

The last time we implemented a new site for our institution, I did some clean up on the old files and removed anything that hadn't been updated in more than 5 years. One directory in particular hadn't been modified in 10 years. Rather than blowing the dust off of it, I made a back up copy and deleted it from the server.

Within 2 days, the phone was ringing... "What happened to my site? Why is it gone? I use that every semester for all my classes! Who gave you permission to change things?!?" So I put the directory back on the server.

Now, as I prepare to launch another new institutional site - with the intent to wipe the server clean of anything from the old site (after making a back up, of course), I sent the same person an email asking for the URL of the "site" she uses in her classes.

"I don't know," she responded. "I didn't build it. Someone at one of the branch campuses built it."

"I just need the address you tell your students to use."

"What address? They don't get an address. They just go to the site and use it."

"How do they get to the site?"

"With Internet Explorer."

"What do they do after they open Internet Explorer?"

"They go to the site."

"Ok. How do they 'go' there?"

"What do you mean 'how do they go there'? I just told you! I thought of all people, YOU would understand how the internet works!"
Was This Post Helpful? 8
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:49 AM

..........I feel for you B9....

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

I love it when someone says, "of all people I would think YOU would know this..." when you do, and it's their ignorance creating the problem.

I never know what to do... my brain literally freezes as I do everything possible not to eat their face.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

#81 BenignDesign  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:01 AM

View Postlordofduct, on 18 January 2013 - 10:57 AM, said:

I never know what to do... my brain literally freezes as I do everything possible not to eat their face.

This. is. beautiful.

It describes the feeling so much better than my standard comment about smacking my head off the sidewalk.

You have a gift, my friend.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#82 DarenR  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

View PostBenignDesign, on 18 January 2013 - 10:39 AM, said:

"What do you mean 'how do they go there'? I just told you! I thought of all people, YOU would understand how the internet works!"

I think YOU should know how the internet works since you invented it ----duh!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#83 BenignDesign  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

Daren, you make my head hurt more than she does. Just sayin'.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

B9 i feel your pain.

I once had a client call me asking for help. I started by asking what kind of computer he had (going for desktop or laptop because we wanted help connecting to his wireless router) With that question he put the phone down and came back around 10 minutes later and started to read off the dimensions of the computer, he took a measuring tape to his tower.

After about 40 minutes later talking with this man it turns out he didn't own a router and thought Windows was the internet and it was provided through the government for anyone 50+, so he didn't have an ISP either. That happened almost a year ago and it still is in my head and just can't believe it.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#85 DarenR  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:07 AM

did he have tin foil covering his head?

would show pic but uploader not working.

This post has been edited by DarenR: 21 January 2013 - 07:12 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

View PostBenignDesign, on 18 January 2013 - 08:39 AM, said:

"With Internet Explorer."

"What do they do after they open Internet Explorer?"

"They go to the site."

"Ok. How do they 'go' there?"

OK granted this guy is playing a game of "Who's on First?" with you, I can understand how someone who knows nothing about computers is like this. I had someone who wanted me to install Google back into her computer once, but I know why she thought that. I tried to explain the difference between a search engine, application and web browser but you would have to go through an entire book of how to use a computer. This is the sort of person who would physically put their mouse on the screen when you say "put the mouse on the screen". It's important to understand their perspective to know lots of computer phrases you say casually can be easily interpreted this way..

What? Oh no, the guy's already decided to become a fuckstick at this point, I'm afraid I have no idea how to fix him.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#87 BenignDesign  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:05 AM

Email from my boss' boss' office (ie, now priority numero uno, do not pass go, go not collect $200, work all night if you have to):

I've been meaning to discuss this with you for some time, but I'm afraid it has continually slipped my mind. We need a new website for use as a training guide for new hires. Our first session begins Monday morning and I will need the site fully functional and running smoothly in time for this training. I will have my assistant put together the information and have it to you by Friday afternoon.

The site should be clean and simple, but attractive and eye-catching. I would also like to have multiple appearance options from which to choose.

In addition, the site will need to run on a Content Management System so that my assistant can make updates and menu modifications.

Lastly, this is to be an internal site with external access. It should require the visitor to log-in using campus network credentials and be accessible off-campus to users without a VPN connection.

Please have your draft designs to me by 3PM today. Thank you.

Please tell me today is April 1st and I've just forgotten to change my calendar.

I believe my solution to this issue will be a Joomla install and free templates. As for the internal-site-with-external-access-without-a-VPN, I'm passing that gem on to our brand spanking new Network Administrator. Welcome aboard, son.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:17 AM

POPULAR

Slipped their mind?

SLIPPED THEIR MIND?

Ope, sorry, I just slipped and STABBED YOU IN THE EYE!
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

#89 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

I've been meaning to discuss this with you for some time, but I'm afraid it has continually slipped my mind.

What the ever-loving fuck.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

#90 BenignDesign  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

... and people wonder why I twitch and talk to myself...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First