7 Replies - 2392 Views - Last Post: 18 October 2012 - 08:58 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Tips / Advice for Interview as PHP Developer

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:11 AM

Hello to everyone.

Next week I have interview for position as PHP Developer. I am new in PHP Programming. Currently, I watch a lot videos on Youtube that teach the PHP Programming like the thenewboston channel.

So I know a little bit about PHP Programming. The problem is I'm not do anything of web project or portfolio. Is any chance for me to winning the interview. I'm very worried about that.

I have an idea to create some samples for website which it can used for someone who find the house for rent. But in 1 week to complete this project just for show to the interviewer, i did'nt think it could be complete.

Hope someone who have any experience about PHP programming can share your ideas, advises or anything else. Oh , I also have a problem about my English. I'm not native english speaking.

Thank you

tokei
From Malaysia
http://www.mohdrushdan.com

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Tips / Advice for Interview as PHP Developer

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Tips / Advice for Interview as PHP Developer

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

View Posttokei, on 14 October 2012 - 01:11 PM, said:

Hello to everyone.

Next week I have interview for position as PHP Developer. I am new in PHP Programming. Currently, I watch a lot videos on Youtube that teach the PHP Programming like the thenewboston channel.

So I know a little bit about PHP Programming. The problem is I'm not do anything of web project or portfolio. Is any chance for me to winning the interview. I'm very worried about that.

I have an idea to create some samples for website which it can used for someone who find the house for rent. But in 1 week to complete this project just for show to the interviewer, i did'nt think it could be complete.

Hope someone who have any experience about PHP programming can share your ideas, advises or anything else. Oh , I also have a problem about my English. I'm not native english speaking.

Thank you

tokei
From Malaysia
http://www.mohdrushdan.com

You haven't got a hope of passing as a professional PHP programmer. My advice is to be honest, and explain the situation, and emphasise that you are willing and able to learn. Then there is a chance they might take you on.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

All the tips in the world won't make a difference if you can't actually perform the job duties.

That's why they are called job requirements. It isn't about being able to land the job (or even the interview), so much as being able to perform the job tasks.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:48 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 15 October 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

All the tips in the world won't make a difference if you can't actually perform the job duties.

That's why they are called job requirements. It isn't about being able to land the job (or even the interview), so much as being able to perform the job tasks.

What i should do now, please.?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

Maybe learn the requirements?

I will not go for a job if I know the requirements are not suited for me, unless they say "preferred" or "is an advantage" therefore connoting that there might be training involved once you get the job, but even then those who are suited with those job requirements usually get the advantage.

I suggest is from what you know now of PHP, look at the job requirements and see what you have to learn further.

For example, in my field as a Java developer usually the biggest aces of someone looking for a job are frameworks, because usually you'll see "Spring,Hibernate,iBatis,FrameworkXXX,FrameworkMagic" as a requirement, so one in my field learns how those stuff work.

Or, if you don't want to learn new stuff, just find a job with PHP training. Either way, your pick.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:55 AM

View PostfromTheSprawl, on 15 October 2012 - 08:15 PM, said:

Maybe learn the requirements?

I will not go for a job if I know the requirements are not suited for me, unless they say "preferred" or "is an advantage" therefore connoting that there might be training involved once you get the job, but even then those who are suited with those job requirements usually get the advantage.

I suggest is from what you know now of PHP, look at the job requirements and see what you have to learn further.

For example, in my field as a Java developer usually the biggest aces of someone looking for a job are frameworks, because usually you'll see "Spring,Hibernate,iBatis,FrameworkXXX,FrameworkMagic" as a requirement, so one in my field learns how those stuff work.

Or, if you don't want to learn new stuff, just find a job with PHP training. Either way, your pick.

I would like to learn anything. Wow, a lot of framework i should learn ( Headache for a seconds).
I want to be expert as you. In university the lecturer not tell me more about the framework that that you have mention at above. I'm a newcomer or fresh graduated.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (╯°□°)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:30 AM

You don't become an expert overnight, or a week, or a month. You spend some years working your trade, and learn about what you can as you do it.

You get a job, an entry-level job. Don't lie about your skills; you'll just get fired that way. Go to interviews that understand they're getting a recent grad, not a seasoned expert. Companies need people like you; there's a lot of fairly tedious tasks that can be accomplished by a new developer that would be a waste of a veteran's time. Just be honest, and make them believe that you want to learn.

Because we certainly can't teach you to be an expert on these forums. This is for small help, one-off problems. Not the years of mentoring that would be necessary to mold you into one, even if anyone had the inclination.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:58 AM

From personal experience (had a phone interview this morning). Don't drink half a bottle of Jäger the night before or the phrase "CSS selector specificity" will sound like utter nonsense to you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1