2 Replies - 7032 Views - Last Post: 24 October 2012 - 10:13 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

just got the hang of basics want to use an API, sfml or direct x...

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:56 AM

im used to writing simple c++ programs just for practice, i feel its time to move on and bring on the colour and sound!
i dont need to rush i will take time to get results but i have tried looking at a few tutorials and i dont understand a lot of the schpiel...im told allegro is simple but im also told its too simple and will be out dated maybe i will just be wasting learning it in that case...direct x on the other hand may be jumping in too deep however i guess c++ is complicated at first...

either way you guys will know better than me, (it made sense to ask experienced programmers this question) and i most likely will take your word on anything.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: just got the hang of basics want to use an API, sfml or direct x...

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: just got the hang of basics want to use an API, sfml or direct x...

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:17 AM

if it's for learning, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I liked SDL quite a bit; it was what I first used to "put color and sound" in my applications. allegro is fine and direct x is fine. I don't think that direct x is jumping into far; the concepts are the same, the code you end up writing is just different. allegro is proably fine too.

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 15 October 2012 - 09:17 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• It's a 16-Bit World!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: just got the hang of basics want to use an API, sfml or direct x...

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:13 AM

direct x is fine. I don't think that direct x is jumping into far; the concepts are the same

I couldn't disagree more. OP says he has just gotten the hang of C++, so he probably doesn't know Windows Programming. After programming for 3.5 years and having used Windows Programming a little bit, I still found the Windows code we have to write a bit confusing. Yeah sure, he can copy-paste it from somewhere, but that's not actual learning.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1