• +
  • « First

147 Replies - 7265 Views - Last Post: 14 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: 3D Printers

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

View Postcreativecoding, on 30 November 2012 - 10:00 AM, said:

Until printing with metal becomes affordable and reliable, I don't think 3d printers are much more than a novelty. Unless I'm having a brain fart and can't think of anything, plastics don't have much use other than making little plastic figurines.

Casing for electronics projects, useful holders, jewelry, some car company made a bunch of stuff on a 3D Printer, same with a bike, and a bunch of other stuff.

http://www.shapeways.com/

Go on that site for a bunch of 3D models people put in a format for easy printing. There are other sites like it. Tons of stuff to do besides figurines. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

View PostAthenaDX, on 30 November 2012 - 09:05 AM, said:

Tons of stuff to do besides figurines. :)

I'm gonna order life-like Sushi and leave it on your desk to taunt you ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

View PostAnalyticLunatic, on 30 November 2012 - 12:33 PM, said:

Tons of stuff to do besides figurines. :)/>

I'm gonna order life-like Sushi and leave it on your desk to taunt you ;)/>

O________O NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :nervous:

My friend made me origami stars that were super tiny and colorful, I thought they were candy at first and tossed a couple in my mouth. He cracked up. >_<
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

View PostChoscura, on 29 November 2012 - 11:09 PM, said:

Good to know. Pellet feeds seem like they would be mechanically simpler to implement. Thinking about it, any flexible plumbing fixture can be used as a feed channel- like a flexible shower hose (the kind wrapped in metal to prevent the inner tube from forming kinks).

I like the idea of pellet feed because I can make pellets which enables me to recycle old/failed projects!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 30 November 2012 - 08:46 AM, said:

So what we're saying is, soon we can all have even more plastic crap that we don't want and can't really do anything with and can't get rid of? I guess that's what we call progress these days.

(I really want to find the moron who thought this was a good idea and massage their gums with a tire iron.)

No, you are looking at it backwards. Instead of paying other countries to make out cheap crap we can make/replace that stuff on our own. In addition to helping speed up the development process tremendously for inventors and "artists" whatever that means these days.

View Postcreativecoding, on 30 November 2012 - 09:00 AM, said:

Until printing with metal becomes affordable and reliable, I don't think 3d printers are much more than a novelty. Unless I'm having a brain fart and can't think of anything, plastics don't have much use other than making little plastic figurines.

Check out all this useful and random stuff that you can make with a 3d printer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#141 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

Ah. So you're a Marxist? The workers control the means of production and all that good stuff?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 30 November 2012 - 02:31 PM, said:

Ah. So you're a Marxist? The workers control the means of production and all that good stuff?

No, I believe we should have a technocracy. I think we should figure out much better systems for workers in general. Note I said figure out, because I have no clue how to fix whats going on but we should try something new.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

Jon, we prefer using the term "globalist" now. Get with the times, old man.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

Marxism might work if it were applied on top of a layer of capitalism. Capitalism is necessary in any political system that isn't explicitly controllable from the top to let that system be self organizing, because with humans at least, there isn't really any other way to organize us that we won't resist or undermine. So capitalism is needed to survive, but marxism applied, even to an extent a layer up from that, would allow everyone to survive instead of only those who already have the means to do so- which I think is a good idea, and sustainable, and in a capitalist sense, is a good investment that creates greater opportunity for returns; get the poor food and housing and education and they have the means to survive, work, and produce goods and services in the market that they wouldn't otherwise.

OK, now on to the more interesting stuff.

@CreativeCoding:

3d printing is a way to make inherently useful items from plastic that would otherwise be impossible with that medium. Why? Because it allows several previously impossible changes in the manner of production: first, internal structures that have been impossible to recreate despite years of attempts can now be made by any geek with an arduino and a couple stepper motors on their kitchen tables- a short list of examples includes the interior reinforcing structures of bones, tensile compositing previously only possible in traditional solid shapes using industrial fibers such as carbon fiber or fiberglass, the creation of components or structures that would normally be difficult or impossible to assemble or create traditionally- and even current gen printers can do this at scales that would be impossible to do any other way, such as printing the vanes of feathers with complete interior structures (important, because the way that you see eagle's 'finger' feathers folding up when they fly actually mitigates and almost completely disrupts wingtip turbulence that is a big problem for modern aircraft).

and this is without mentioning the possibilities of composite pieces printed around metal items, the ability to print circuits or wires, or even channels to direct gases or liquids, into the structures in ways that have simply been impossible until now. 3d printed parts can also revolutionize casting of metal parts, and the extent to which metals are needed to be used in goods. Gerber and Fiskars have done this with axes and scissors (respectively) already, to say nothing of the glock or springfiold XD handguns. Or as an example of using previously inaccessible parts of a workpiece, the current version of that rifling machine I posted a pic of uses fluid bearings that are powered by the pump circulating the medium: it's just a circle in a case of plastic with holes in that case that have an interior tube connecting them to the flow of liquid, or in other words, it's an easy-to-produce version of the bearing in a car's turbo charger.

So, look at this a year or two down the line- it's not difficult to imagine a car being printed in composite materials and using tensile or torsion inducing fibers and inserts to make an impact-resistant chassis entirely without metal. Formula one cars are already made with these kinds of materials, and are the safest they've ever been because of it; if not for the difficulty of production with conventional methods and the costs of the engines, they'd be the cheapest they've ever been as well. And then consider the possibilities an electric car with hub motors in the wheels would have with this: even with current battery technology, ignoring the developments of ultracapacitors for a moment, cars could be lighter and have exceptionally greater range and efficiency, even without sacrificing handling issues that currently rely on weight for friction when done properly.

Now picture this in a car that your local dealership could print to order in a day, instead of ordering from a factory.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Coding Geezer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

Thought y'all might be interested in a possible use for 3D printers that may or may not have been discussed between flame wars.

Parts from Moon rocks?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:51 AM

View PostAnalyticLunatic, on 30 November 2012 - 11:33 AM, said:

Tons of stuff to do besides figurines. :)/>

I'm gonna order life-like Sushi and leave it on your desk to taunt you ;)/>

Dude, they all ready have automatic Sushi machines:
http://youtu.be/hLEjy2LM57M

Well, this one still has a human involved, but it's still pretty cool:
http://youtu.be/pM41-f0kUEM
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#147 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:26 AM

Forbes had a nice write up of Shapeways - a giant consumer 3d printing service (with pictures!). It's a good read.

3D-printing startup Shapeways opened its New York production facility in Long Island City, Queens, the biggest consumer-focused 3D printing factory in the world. When I visited the site last week–at the height of its holiday frenzy–the startup had already installed nine industrial-sized 3D printers turning digital blueprints into solid physical objects at its fastest rate ever: In 2012 it printed more than a million items, well over its total for all prior years combined since the company launched in 2008. And by the holiday season of 2013 it hopes to have more than 50 printers filling its 25,000 feet of floor space.

http://www.forbes.co...inting-factory/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

While shapeways is awesome to let your average joe know about 3d printing, in the long run I think its not so great. When you are paying out the ass for each model, you won't be printing all the useful, random, and silly things you can if you own a 3d printer. It really is a super useful little machine even though I haven't had it squirting plastic recently I know I will have some knob or project box I need to run off in the near future.

Edit:
[Blecha actually said this. I was playing Planetside 2 on Athena's computer and... whoops]

This post has been edited by AthenaDX: 14 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • « First