• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

147 Replies - 6703 Views - Last Post: 14 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: 3D Printers

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:29 PM

If I had this one I'd be building my own cars (well,, body kits for the fiero)

Here is one that I saw at Notacon, the best part was that it was replicating it's self:

No2pencil, did you say Evil mad scientist? Evil Mad Scientist Shop

Makerbot is the place to watch, as far as 3D printers that you and me can buy.
As time goes on, they keep getting better. Finer details, larger objects, and faster print times.

There are also:

So, yeah.. I know a little bit about 3D printers :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

Oh yeah, there is this too for all you rick loving guys:

Although it's not truly automatic but close enough. I'm sure next years module will have it fully automatic where you just dump the bricks in and it aligns them for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:20 AM

I came across this site - components and 3d fun all around.
http://www.lulzbot.com/en/

Then /. was chatting about the new kickstarter project - 'build your own laser cutter'.
http://www.kickstart...wn-laser-cutter

Basically for a $1500 gamble they may ship you an un-assembled cheap laser cutter. I am not going to lie - there's a certain bent appeal to running a laser cutting machine out of one's apartment.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:38 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 23 October 2012 - 09:20 AM, said:

Then /. was chatting about the new kickstarter project - 'build your own laser cutter'.
http://www.kickstart...wn-laser-cutter

Basically for a $1500 gamble they may ship you an un-assembled cheap laser cutter. I am not going to lie - there's a certain bent appeal to running a laser cutting machine out of one's apartment.

Well you won't get charged unless they reach their goal of $300,000.00

But the really hard part would be finding a computer with a working parallel port, one that can do BI-DIRECTIONAL communications :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

My boyfriend created his own for about 600 to 700 bucks, I believe. It's not as high-tech as the ones you buy assembled, but it works very well. ^_^

He made me a majora's mask pendant and a bunch of cool other stuff. Right now, it's just sitting around collecting dust. He'll end up using it to make cases for his electronic projects.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

I came across the apparently famous "3d print guns (lawl ATF)" project the other day (Youtube, link), and have been turning it over in my head. I think the way it's being done is very bad- you're printing small bombs and encouraging people to set them off while holding them.

But it has potential, and I think the best way to do it is to print the tools you need to make the real gun parts. For example, barrels are the biggest critical weakness in the current designs, and reaming, lapping, and rifling machines are complex and daunting, or at least daunting, and traditionally need heavy machining equipment to make and use, which also involves lots of skill, time, energy, and invested effort. But if you did electrolysis, and printed out a set of jigs, you could zap almost any hunk of metal into the right shape- and treat it afterwards to give it the right properties by case hardening, or 'baking in a sealed vessel with carbon to make the outside hard'- and it would involve essentially no skill at all, just a few cups of stump killing powder, an AC/DC converter and whatever other parts to make the thing go, a plastic tub full of water and a free outlet for however long it takes, which would probably be at least a few days.

The case hardening also involves very little, it was done for over 100 years in charcoal furnaces with tin boxes sealed with clay and full of more charcoal and gun parts- but you can improvise. Pottery kilns get to the right temperatures, with fine control, and are in basically every school on earth these days.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

I wonder why there is such a high correlation between intelligent computer people and violent/disturbing desires?

Me? My 6ksqft 4 level deep array of 3D printers is used for mass producing a drone army. Course, everyone who reads that will get a visit from said army.

But P4P, how did you build your production line? Water... A little bit of recycling water (not cuz I care about the environment, but because I care about water bills)... It's plastic, ffs.

And here's the kicker.. CO2 powered.

This post has been edited by Python_4_President: 13 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

View PostPython_4_President, on 13 November 2012 - 02:06 PM, said:

I wonder why there is such a high correlation between intelligent computer people and violent/disturbing desires?

Yup... cuz lord knows the uneducated, toothless hillbillies don't have a gun fetish or desire to kill things.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

View PostBenignDesign, on 13 November 2012 - 12:21 PM, said:

View PostPython_4_President, on 13 November 2012 - 02:06 PM, said:

Yup... cuz lord knows the uneducated, toothless hillbillies don't have a gun fetish or desire to kill things.

What do you have against people with lots of minimally maintained mouths with lots of miles on them that live in the hills and have a firm understanding of things you know nothing about, yet no understanding of things you know plenty about (but would not mean anything to you in the event of a power outage)?

I guarantee they're happier in life than you are, and never spend a moment feeling worthless and unfulfilled. You ought to spend some time in the deepest country you can't find.

My buddy Danny, for example... That guy has spent the last 11 months cutting up and carting off 7 or more chords of wood a week BY HIMSELF, in a predictable distribution pattern, which has a net result of providing heat to his friends and family first, then to neighbors and towns-folk, and then to others as necessary, and a few staple operations which pay quite well and consume what remains. Nice guy, not a great smile, doesn't own an iPhone, never googles anything, but could absolutely contribute greatly to the effort of feeding thousands of people without using electricity or gasoline.

BTW, I was mostly referring to the bricks, rope, vaseline, chloroform, and other tools useful in the process of unsolicited copulation with surprised females. Danny doesn't do that sort of thing, and probably never thinks about doing that sort of thing. (I don't either. I love people, and respect each and every one of them (to varying degrees, of course, but there's a baseline you cannot fall below, and I will ALWAYS piss on you if you are on fire.))

Fun thing about rural communities... If you did it, they know you did it, they know who you are and where to find you. Takes a lot of guts to rape someone out there. Most rapist don't have any guts at all, thus rape and other crime in those areas (real crime, that is) is quite low.

Definitely not the case in large metropolitan areas, where, unless the rapist smiles at the camera, forgets to wear a condom, or posts about it on facebook or twitter, he's getting away with it. (and even then if he does one or more of the aforementioned points of failure, it's only a little more probable that punishment will follow.)

This post has been edited by Python_4_President: 13 November 2012 - 01:19 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

Point: missed.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

And I love the fact that he's lecturing me about hillbillies when (1) I live in Appalachia, (2) I come from a long line of gun-toting, tailgating, bon-firing, shooting-squirrels-out-the-bathroom-window country folk, and (3) I'm inbred as fuck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

Where on earth did I go wrong? Maybe it's the copperhead venom coursing through my veins.

This one got me on the butt over the weekend...
Posted ImageIf I could spare any production time on any of my printers, I'da let him live and printed it a plastic playground to hang out in.

Ever see a snake maneuver around a Rube Golderberg style obstacle to get to his food? Neither have I, but it'd probably be great as a centerpiece for the dinner table.

This post has been edited by Python_4_President: 13 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

View PostPython_4_President, on 13 November 2012 - 04:29 PM, said:

Where on earth did I go wrong?

Trying too hard, mostly.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 13 November 2012 - 02:34 PM, said:

View PostPython_4_President, on 13 November 2012 - 04:29 PM, said:

Where on earth did I go wrong?

Trying too hard, mostly.

Huh, could be.

Say, Mr. Kiparsky, it'd be swell if you would describe the observations responsible for that wonderfully succinct statement.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

Sure: I read your posts. That pretty much did it.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »