9 Replies - 1178 Views - Last Post: 19 October 2012 - 03:29 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Major in Computational Mathematical Sciences?

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:34 PM

I was originally a computer science major, but due to pure laziness in early semesters, I'm not entirely sure my GPA will skyrocket as soon, and I was instead enrolled in my secondary major. I was enrolled in computational mathematical sciences, and I am a transfer student from community college to university. The past few semesters however I have been more aspired to do better.

tl;dr: What is your take on this hybrid major of mathematics and computer science?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Major in Computational Mathematical Sciences?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Major in Computational Mathematical Sciences?

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:46 PM

What do you plan on doing with io?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:48 PM

I wanted to get involved in software development. Data structures, algorithms and the like interest me, and just programming in general. Although my concern is the program may be well looked down upon in comparison with CS majors.

I enjoy math, and hope this change in curriculum will still open up the opportunities of the computer field I hope to study in.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:49 PM

Typically a comp sci degree has quite a bit of math and often folks have a tacked on math minor from the electives. If you want to program so much why are you splitting time with a math major again?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:18 PM

If you're into functional programming, the two are not mutually exclusive. LISP is effectively applied Lambda Calculus, and languages such as Haskell are right on that trail.

Typically programming consists of knowledge of libraries and syntax, but without math for algorithms you'll never really get past Junior to Intermediate level in the work force.

I wouldn't call it dividing as much as advancing a certain specific of programming knowledge.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 16 October 2012 - 12:49 PM, said:

Typically a comp sci degree has quite a bit of math and often folks have a tacked on math minor from the electives. If you want to program so much why are you splitting time with a math major again?

It's not so much about that, but the CS program is extremely competitive, and if I am not able to get into that particular program, I was curious about everyone else's 2 bits on computational mathematics as a whole. The computational math program is a field of the Liberal Arts school where I am at, however, unlike the Engineering school.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

Heed Lemur. The better programmers are those who can understand and apply algorithms to code for optimization and other purposes.

If you're worried that the CS majors will be viewed upon as the one who will get more job opportunities, you maybe right, but that is if you let your computer science slip and you focus too much on the maths. I suggest you do well on both, learn on your own if you have to just to keep up on what the comsci majors are learning, then you'll be on equal, if not better footing when you're looking for a job.

Also, in the field we're in, it's not as much as the course that matters, but the skills you have. Even business majors can get into programming jobs easily.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:50 PM

View PostfromTheSprawl, on 16 October 2012 - 06:32 PM, said:

Heed Lemur. The better programmers are those who can understand and apply algorithms to code for optimization and other purposes.

If you're worried that the CS majors will be viewed upon as the one who will get more job opportunities, you maybe right, but that is if you let your computer science slip and you focus too much on the maths. I suggest you do well on both, learn on your own if you have to just to keep up on what the comsci majors are learning, then you'll be on equal, if not better footing when you're looking for a job.

Also, in the field we're in, it's not as much as the course that matters, but the skills you have. Even business majors can get into programming jobs easily.

I understand now; I misunderstood. I agree though, with keeping up and being persistent.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:38 PM

If a job seriously focuses more on a degree in solely CS as opposed to CM, you probably don't want to work there. Either that or you ended up in HR hell.

Heck, some of the most brilliant CS majors I know are dual majors in something that seems completely off the wall. The battiest one was a 4 major of Psychology, Math, Music, and CS. Batty good? Certainly not in a black tie shop. In Cali? That guy would be heralded as a genius.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:29 AM

I'm finishing up my B.Comp.Sci with a Comp. Maths major at the moment. I didn't have much of a plan when I chose the major, I'm a mature age student and I just wanted to learn stuff that interested me. My major consisted of 4 courses that covered Calc I-III (in a bit of a hurry), Linear Algebra and Numerical Methods. I had a single Discrete class as core for Comp Sci, and naturally we covered various other stuff in algorithms classes and whatnot.

I'm not sure what courses your major would entail, but mine had more of an engineering bent. Does crunching numerical approximations to PDEs help me with my programming skills? Yes and no. It's all algorithms at the end of the day, but you don't really need to calculate heat flux to program a banking system.

I don't know what kind of job I want, and I rounded out my degree with some more business programming oriented courses - Java EE, Data Warehousing - and a few AI courses. It's all terribly interesting! I guess it depends on whether you are studying to get a particular job, or you just want to learn stuff that you like.

All the best!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1