5 Replies - 812 Views - Last Post: 24 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Professional Courses?

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:31 AM

I'm on a BDD course for all of next week, which I'm looking forward to. This will be the latest of several courses that work has put me on. However, previous to this employer, none of my previous employers sponsored me to go to courses.

How about you? Do your employers put you on courses? I guess it varies from employer to employer, but it's a nice extra if it helps you in your day-to-day work.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Professional Courses?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Professional Courses?

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

I've had four professional jobs so far, and no company sponsored courses were given to me. :(

We do have a "show and tell" twice a month where we share something cool regarding programming or dev-ops. It's good way to introduce coworkers to new tech and practices. Especially if your team is small <8.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:57 PM

actually right after i finish with my student courses the job I'm going to wants to pay to get me a full bachelors and several mobile dev courses.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:35 AM

My company will pay for courses and certifications as long as I pass them and they are job related. Of course, they have to be pre approved before I sign up. I have used this in the past and it works but I have to take the lead a decide to do it. The only required courses we do are sexual harrasment, ethics, Information Assurance etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:13 AM

If they don't have to be certification courses, Pluralsight is a really good video training site with hours of videos on pretty much any topic.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

We've had the mandatory Sexual Harassment and what not already, but starting next week every Thursday another group is going to be presenting 2hr courses on topics like advanced C#.NET, LINQ in .NET, ADO.NET, and etc. This is due to an oncoming merger between my group and several others, mine being the only group that uses VB.NET while everyone else is C#.NET Developers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1