Anyone want to join my Minecraft server?

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

153 Replies - 12618 Views - Last Post: 12 February 2013 - 02:01 AM

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Anyone want to join my Minecraft server?

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:41 PM

I emailed him and asked him if he'd like to share. Since I don't remember everything he showed me.

but here's what I do remember:

The server/s are hosted on Amazon (the cloud). It runs bukkit. it has a github page where scripts are managed. It has a web site that gets updated with world stats (like "so&so tired to swim in lava") Backups every hour and also backs up to a Glacier account. I think theres a wiki page too where they can post issues, griefing, and outages. It has this Mapping program that could zoom way out and show huge portions of the Minecraft world, I think he said that he was using world map.

He say's it's invite only, I have not been on it I was just saw the overlord part of it since this guy's the admin. The server pays for itself through donations from the players.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

View Postcalvinthedestroyer, on 24 October 2012 - 10:54 PM, said:

How did you guys learn about running a minecraft server? Where did you find your information?

I do the opposite, I got sick of the fun-yet-unstable mods and having to reset the world, so I just run vanilla. I get tired of the "add X Y and Z mods" requests, the server can't hold many people anyway so I don't mind if it's just a few people who want to have fun in SMP. That and it's nice to know if you just use the official client with the latest version (another problem I had when I used to host Bukkit is that it lagged too far behind the official versions), then you can simply play. I'll write a quick backup checkpoint script so I can handle griefing issues and rollbacks.

It seems strange that you would create all these automatic anti-griefing and world management mods and then make the thing invite only- i thought the point was to enable you to have a huge world without having to moderate every single little griefer.

I do manually keep up a world map though (this is the first vanilla map. I first create a basic map using UnMined, then I wrote my own program that will insert waypoint dots and mini photos of locations on top of the map. I can make the waypoint dots bigger or small depending on the size and detail of areas. Dots are also colored based on the type of thing they mark. It kind of vaguely represents the map for Final Fantasy Tactics except it isn't all sepia-tone. It starts to look cool once a world gets going.

Add me to one of my IMs if you want the IP address of the server (if you're clever, you already know it though :3 ). It's basically SMP and don't break each other's stuff, but other than that it's free-play. The server is eventually also going to host the networked game I'm developing, but this is just so the server has a purpose before then. It will continue to run even after my test game is deployed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#153 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

A side note - minecraft is now on the Raspberry Pi.

Mojang have released their latest version of Minecraft, one which is free to all owners of the credit card-sized computer, the Raspberry Pi. This special edition was first announced during last year's Minecon and it is designed to be a more open and programmable version of the immensely popular sandbox game, released with the intent of encouraging new programmers to play with the game's code and learn more about how it all works.

http://www.pcgamesn....ing-short-delay
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:01 AM

minecraft on raspberry pi

That looks amazing.

I wonder how well the Pi will be able to run this game, not just serv it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • « First