4 Replies - 1544 Views - Last Post: 24 October 2012 - 06:32 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

School competitions

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

Do any of you guys have any good/funny/interesting stories about school programming competitions? I ask because my teacher signed me up for a C++ programming event. If I make state I get to go to Columbus, stay at a nice hotel, and I could even win a bit of cash. However, I'm also a tad nervous, mostly because I've never done anything like this before. So, I thought I'd ask other programmers how similar competitions went for them!

Also, if your curious about my competition, the first part is a simple online test of your C++ competencies. If you pass that, you go to regional. There you'll be given a 'real world' problem to work on for ninety minutes. Assuming you make it past that, you go to state. At state you do the same exact thing but the problem is far more difficult.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: School competitions

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: School competitions

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:13 AM

I've competed several years through competitions in the national student-run organization SkillsUSA.

Posted Image

Depending on the number of competitors, you start at either a local or district competition involving a series of multiple choice questions on general programming concepts and i.t. theologies and a professional development test that the organization uses as a tie-breaker.

If you pass there, you move on to State Competition which involves a more rigorous multiple-choice test, followed with the coding of 1-2 criteria-set programs that you are given roughly 3-4hrs to complete in the language of your choice. Several are set forth in the competition regulations, but if pressing the matter some competitors were allowed there own choices outside the regulations with the understanding that they were responsible for any hardware or incompatibility issues and would be docked points as necessary.

Placing 1st at State won you a $1500 tuition waiver to the State Technical College and the opportunity to compete at Nationals. Sadly I placed 2nd each year (same guy every time beat me, but he was good, so no ill-wishes).

At Nationals I don't know the full set of criteria, but it was always a blast. I did make it to National Competition for several Leadership competitions, just never quite in Programming. Then after Nationals, there are a few select competitions that can go on to the WorldSkills competition competing with students all over the world.

I've done other competitions through the years, but usually they were knowledge based on varying fields of I.T. SkillsUSA was the most structured and highest-level I was ever able to compete in.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:13 PM

I recently participated in something called NCPC - the Nordic Collegiate Programming Contest. It's a contest for students from Denmark, Norway and Sweden, and at the same time it's the danish championship. It also serves as a qualification round for NWERC, which is the North-Western Regional Programming Contest, and further on ICPC, the International Collegiate Programming Contest.

The contest is for teams of up to three people, and there are certain criteria you have to satisfy, like not having studied for more than four years, and not being too old.

I participated with a team of myself and two other freshmen, the youngest team in the contest. It started at 11 am and ended at 4 pm. We were given a computer with Linux and the most popular editors and IDE's installed (Vim, Emacs, Eclipse) and of course compilers.

The challenge was to solve as many problems from a problem set as we could, as fast as possible. Handing in a wrong solution resulted in a time penalty. The problems can be seen here.

With our team of freshmen, we did not qualify for NWERC, but we did end up as 13th of 33 ICPC-eligible teams in Denmark, which I think is pretty good.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

I would be quite amused if you were in Missouri for that. I know the college that offered those scholarships here.

Did he come from Carthage MO? If it was programming it would have been either Thanatos (Weston) or PlasmaCaptain (Jacob)(though I don't think they really post here.) If it was Web Dev it was me, though I was 2nd 2nd 1st in 2007 2008 2009 respectively.

I hail from Carthage, so I remember most of those years. I know both of those guys quite well, and both of them are pretty danged good at programming.

Well I did some creeping, you came from Missouri, you're 21 born in 1991. It seems like we likely would have been in the same competitions. Where do you come from?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:32 AM

View PostLemur, on 23 October 2012 - 03:45 PM, said:

I would be quite amused if you were in Missouri for that. I know the college that offered those scholarships here.

Did he come from Carthage MO? If it was programming it would have been either Thanatos (Weston) or PlasmaCaptain (Jacob)(though I don't think they really post here.) If it was Web Dev it was me, though I was 2nd 2nd 1st in 2007 2008 2009 respectively.

I hail from Carthage, so I remember most of those years. I know both of those guys quite well, and both of them are pretty danged good at programming.

Well I did some creeping, you came from Missouri, you're 21 born in 1991. It seems like we likely would have been in the same competitions. Where do you come from?

Well how about that? Originally I hail from just South of Ft. Leonard Wood, attended that College 2010-2012. Haven't moved very far out of the area, just down the road to the Big City.

The SkillsUSA State Officer Team 2011-2012 was composed of myself as a post-secondary officer and a full team of secondary students. Our chosen President that year was a fine young man the last name of Norris if you happen to know any. I do not know if he lived in Carthage, but he did attend Carthage Career Center should memory serve correct.

I had considered the Web Dev competition my second year, but could not find a partner as interested in the competition as myself, so I stuck with Programming hoping to do better than my previous second place. Always made it to Nationals through Leadership competitions though, so no complaints.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1