12 Replies - 673 Views - Last Post: 23 October 2012 - 08:01 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Personal AI Robot?

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:53 AM

I am going for a Masters degree in computer science and one of the topics will be about artificial intelligence. So I have for quite awhile now been very interested in creating a personal robot possibly no bigger than a couple feet tall in a bipedal humanoid form. I know this requires hardware engineering but does anyone think it is possible to create an AI that can be put in to the robot body? I'm not talking about an all super smart robot that rivals a human but perhaps a simple AI that can eventually grow and learn. I don't know how many of you played mass effect 3 but I like the idea of an AI that can have somewhat normal conversations like EDI. Anyway do you think it's possible to create a personal robot like that? (not referring to EDI)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Personal AI Robot?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Personal AI Robot?

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:14 AM

Ofcourse it is, I done something very similar for my BSc, but mine was an AI car which drove between two points. Look into Lego Mindstorms, this will give you the basis to build the robot. You can then install something onto the brick (cant remember what its called) which allows you to program rather than use the graphical interface.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Perfectly Squared ;)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:14 AM

I have played mass effect 3!!! :)

And yes,it sure would be really great, if you could actually have someone like EDI for a companion ;)

I think building something like that requires a lot of expertise.I am not saying it is easy, but it surely can be done.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:06 AM

Why bother with conversations? The assumptions that humans and AI (even when they are on-par with human intelligence by every useful metric) won't be the amazing magical shit everybody's jerking off to. They're fundamentally different entities from us, and always will be, probably; the entire paradigm of their existence, and every detail they must necessarily be interested in for sustaining it, will always be different from ours. Long story short, you're never going to have a meaningful conversation about what restaurant to go to with a guy who's going to plug himself into an outlet wherever you two end up going.

It doesn't mean that there won't be anything meaningful between humans and AI, whenever that shit's possible. But it isn't going to be like just another sub-group of humans, and I'm always baffled why people even think it would be like that in the first place.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#5 CharlieMay  Icon User is online

• This space intentionally left blank
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:18 AM

View PostChoscura, on 19 October 2012 - 08:06 AM, said:

It doesn't mean that there won't be anything meaningful between humans and AI, whenever that shit's possible. But it isn't going to be like just another sub-group of humans, and I'm always baffled why people even think it would be like that in the first place.

Movies ;)

This post has been edited by CharlieMay: 19 October 2012 - 05:19 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:11 AM

I read Robopocalypse week before last.

Good read and I'll be skipping robot companions for awhile now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

View PostShatto, on 19 October 2012 - 03:53 AM, said:

does anyone think it is possible to create an AI that can be put in to the robot body? I'm not talking about an all super smart robot that rivals a human but perhaps a simple AI that can eventually grow and learn.

Yes.. it's not too bad if you are asking for an intelligence in a robot body. Aurdinos or FezIIPandas can hold quite a bit of information and, if need be, you can off process it on a server and have the physical form as an interaction tool.

If I can whip up a simple 'learning program' in .NET I can, more than likely, shove it into a fez board and have it deal with interactions.

Of course the complexity of the learning might not be what you are looking for. I have a project floating around in 'share your projects' where I am amassing this information.

Side note - did you ever get your computer labs upgraded from XP?

View PostChoscura, on 19 October 2012 - 07:06 AM, said:

One word - anthropomorphism. The reason why we impress emotions and lacquer on human personalities to our pet muntjacs. Why we yell about gremlins in our code, claim "the system is acting up", and talk about boats as if they were finicke women.

Plus, when Timmy the Tri-County-Mega-Nerd implements his fully functional* pleasure bot he'll need it to act like the girl friend he never had combined with six youtube geek girl personalities, two failed prom dates, one head cheerleader, and two scifi show girls. I mean if the darn bucket of bolts can't act like what he has yearned for why the heck would he go through that much trouble!?

What I want now is gentleness. And joy... and love. From you, Data; you are fully functional, aren't you?
Of course, but...
How fully?
In every way, of course. I am programed in multiple techniques. A broad variety of pleasuring.

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:13 PM

Right, I get that there are movies that show them like this, and I really understand anthropomorphism. I'm still baffled, because I see this stuff coming from people who know about anthropomorphism, are critical of the movies like this for similar reasons to the ones I have or have seen here and around the web, and who should really know better- and don't seem to.

Which brings me to the second part, I really think that AI, when it gets to the point of being able to pass as human-ish, will really take advantage of our biology when it figures out that at least half the population, and probably all of it, will pay handsomely for a simple repeated motion with variations done by a well lubricated - and optionally recently cleaned - part.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:14 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 19 October 2012 - 01:59 PM, said:

Side note - did you ever get your computer labs upgraded from XP?

Not yet however they offered me a job there as a computer lab technician, that may include keeping the systems up to date.

View PostChoscura, on 19 October 2012 - 05:06 AM, said:

Why bother with conversations? The assumptions that humans and AI (even when they are on-par with human intelligence by every useful metric) won't be the amazing magical shit everybody's jerking off to. They're fundamentally different entities from us, and always will be, probably; the entire paradigm of their existence, and every detail they must necessarily be interested in for sustaining it, will always be different from ours. Long story short, you're never going to have a meaningful conversation about what restaurant to go to with a guy who's going to plug himself into an outlet wherever you two end up going.

I am well aware of the fact that it would be different than having a mundane conversation with a human, and that is what interests me. The fact that they are and will see everything different than a human would. If building an intelligent robot would yield the same conversational experience as talking to a human would then I would no longer pursue this goal.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

Right, but you have to keep in mind that we're talking about entities that won't have real boundaries to their identities. It's not that there won't be discrete entities, it's just that you have to keep in mind that it's a whole different game, with very different rules, when every AI entity is literally capable of sharing the sum total of it's experiences with every other AI entity, that each entity is capable of literally watching through the eyes of any other entity as an event unfolds, or that a discrete physical presence -whether it's an android, an industrial robot arm, or a wifi-enabled dildo- can be seamlessly controlled by different entities, probably at the same time, based on which is free to do so and finds it convenient.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:26 AM

Two words: Neural Networks :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:21 AM

View PostJL29, on 23 October 2012 - 05:26 AM, said:

That looks cool, thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:01 AM

View PostShatto, on 23 October 2012 - 07:21 AM, said:

View PostJL29, on 23 October 2012 - 05:26 AM, said:

That looks cool, thanks.

No problem. It certainly is a nice way to 'teach' a computer something. It could be used to 'learn' an AI to do things. It is basically the same as how our brain works on a very abstract level.
Show a little kid a chair 100 times and tell him it is a chair, and he will recognize it. That's also the way those NN's work.
There are alot of possibilities to use them but keep in mind NN's are slow learners. Another fun thing to know is that there are several kinds of NN's. Like a perceptron or a Multi-Layered NN.

Below I've added some links with information and interesting read-ups about them :)

- Nice example in C++ of 'learning' minesweeper thingies
- Little harder to read, but more in-depth info
- Fun VB.NET example
- Perceptron in a C# console app. But I found this one a little confusing for myself
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1