6 Replies - 1069 Views - Last Post: 21 October 2012 - 06:36 PM

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

C# or C++?

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:31 AM

I heard something the other day that I thought a lot of you might find interesting. I do contract work. The jobs I get are through technical recruiters for Fortune 500 companies.

Anyway, I had a meeting with them the other day and we were casually talking. Now mind you, I'm not currently looking for another contract, so they had little reason to convince me of anything. Plus, I do DBA work, not really programming work.

So they were talking about programming jobs and various languages. I asked them straight out about how many jobs they see for C++ and how many for C#. They said it's all C#. They said C++ is used by government agencies and those who work for government agencies like aircraft manufacturers. They said that what few C++ jobs are out there tend to be in a Unix environment.

These are people who do nothing all day long except place people into computer jobs. I was a bit surprised, although I'm not sure why. In all the big name companies I've worked for I've heard of Java programmers working there and .Net programmers working there, but hardly ever have I heard of C++ programmers working there.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: C# or C++?

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: C# or C++?

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:18 AM

View PostBBeck, on 20 October 2012 - 02:31 AM, said:

I heard something the other day that I thought a lot of you might find interesting. I do contract work. The jobs I get are through technical recruiters for Fortune 500 companies.

Anyway, I had a meeting with them the other day and we were casually talking. Now mind you, I'm not currently looking for another contract, so they had little reason to convince me of anything. Plus, I do DBA work, not really programming work.

So they were talking about programming jobs and various languages. I asked them straight out about how many jobs they see for C++ and how many for C#. They said it's all C#. They said C++ is used by government agencies and those who work for government agencies like aircraft manufacturers. They said that what few C++ jobs are out there tend to be in a Unix environment.

These are people who do nothing all day long except place people into computer jobs. I was a bit surprised, although I'm not sure why. In all the big name companies I've worked for I've heard of Java programmers working there and .Net programmers working there, but hardly ever have I heard of C++ programmers working there.

If you want job aplications,web applications,wpf applications C#.NET(ASP.NET & Silverlight) and SQL Server is a better idea.
If you want to build engines for games, faster applications than C/C++ and Assembler is better, C/C++ is harder to learn than C#.

.Net framework has much fast faster coding than all C++ frameworks, so aplication will be faster done with c#.net.
C#.NET just support Windows OS. Of course C# has Mono framework wich is suitable with Linux OS, but Mono is very bad.

I'm sorry if my English is bad, I'm from Serbia.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:31 AM

I have been looking at jobs in UK and stuff you have mentioned above can be seen here as well. .NET with WPF framework is very popular but if you want to be paid the big bucks then C++ it is.

Also, one interesting thing i have noticed is that if a job advert states: we are looking for a C++ dev, then 99% of the time, they are looking for a senior guy. When C# is advertised, you can come across several junior positions. It's as if they did not trust junior C++ developers.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:04 PM

^they most likely DON'T trust junior developers.

if you're working on simulation software, it's pretty costly to lose computing time because of a mistake than junior developers make more often than senior ones (and this is C++ we're talking about here...not that hard to make a mistake).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

From what I've seen, C++ is used by the following areas:

* Linux/Unix software development, embedded systems, kernel development
* Games programming
* Audio
* Engineering

These happen to be the areas that I'd ideally like to work in, so that's why I'm learning C++.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

c# is just fundamentally less of a pain than c++ in many areas. I'm actually a staunch supporter and fan of c++ but I understand entirely why so many companies don't use it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Death Scythe
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:36 PM

Well If I had to choose a C language I would go for C# since I'm a Java programmer and the syntax is similar. Also, C# looks like it's much easier to use and edit which is probably why most places use it now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1