4 Replies - 1943 Views - Last Post: 17 November 2012 - 06:55 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Improving my programming skills by teaching myself?

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:16 PM

'Ello all, I just had a -general- question about improving my programming skills outside of classes. Wasn't sure which forum this would be best for, but I have some of the basics of Java down (classes, object-oriented fundamentals, etc). I posted a topic about a declare of major issue where I am currently majoring in a computational mathematics program where the amount of comp sci classes are rather minimized, so I was wondering if there are any such techniques that may aid in teaching myself just how to get better in languages like Java (and other popular ones used nowadays), and the GUI aspect of it (I have no GUI experience yet).

Discuss. Any help would be appreciated.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Improving my programming skills by teaching myself?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Improving my programming skills by teaching myself?

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

Yes.. you'll find when you leave the hallowed halls of learning self education is a must. I am the go-to guy for odd and off the wall projects since I can research, digest, and manifest results the quickest. End game - yes, learn as much as you can. How? By doing projects. Write them out like a project manager (reason, start, end, milestones, etc) and do them. Jump into group projects with people in your class.. compete online or in person. Do code jams.. basically - just DO MORE.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:49 PM

Getting Better at Programming Java. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

Make something useful. Like, if you have some small task that you find yourself doing often, write a tool that does it for you. If you can't come up with a project, start crunching usaco problems.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:55 AM

I ran into a problem with this before. I was where you were. The problem was I wasn't any good at coming up with problems that were fun to me. All we did in school didn't seem that useful. Then I met my best buddy. And he was an idea guy. His ideas were cool, fun, doable, and would help me learn. We completed an automated phone service that would give the caller the option to get the weather for their area or sports scores. I had a great time doing that and learned a lot. I've since completed more projects with him and am currently working on one right now. There was downtime though and I can't constantly rely on other people for ideas. So basically I looked into programming puzzle sites. Project Euler, pythonchallenge, codegolf, and many more.

When I got to school this semester I was light years ahead of my classmates. LOL my counselor made me go to an intro to programming type of class and it's been such a breeze.

Another thing that would hinder me from starting to program outside of class was the belief that because I hadn't been taught how to do something in school it would be too hard. That belief is completely false. Like it was said already, practice makes you better. If you don't try something, you'll never get better at it. I'm not the best, but I'm so much better than I was. Good luck to you my fellow dichead and if you ever want to work on something, send me a message, I'll put you to work.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1