• +
  • Last »

63 Replies - 4080 Views - Last Post: 01 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Speaking of Copyright Infringement...

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

Amazon Wipes Customer's Account, Locks All Ebooks, Says 'Find A New Retailer' When She Asks Why

The Article...

Techdirt has been warning people for several years that they don't really own the ebooks they have on their Amazon Kindles. The most famous demonstration of this was the sudden disappearance of ebook versions of George Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm (you can't make this stuff up.) But that's nothing compared to what an Amazon customer in Norway now claims the company has done: shut down her Amazon account permanently and locked her Kindle -- all without explanation.

When her ebooks became unavailable, Linn Jordet Nygaard, the customer in question, contacted Amazon to find out what had happened. She received the following reply:

We have found your account is directly related to another which has been previously closed for abuse of our policies. As such, your Amazon.co.uk account has been closed and any open orders have been cancelled.

But the account holder claims to know nothing about any other account, and so she wrote back asking for more details:

As previously advised, your Amazon.co.uk account has been closed, as it has come to our attention that this account is related to a previously blocked account. While we are unable to provide detailed information on how we link related accounts, please know that we have reviewed your account on the basis of the information provided and regret to inform you that it will not be reopened.

Please understand that the closure of an account is a permanent action. Any subsequent accounts that are opened will be closed as well. Thank you for your understanding with our decision.

Unhelpfully, then, Amazon simply re-iterated that the newly-closed account was "related" to another, previously blocked account, wouldn't say why, and emphasized that this was an irrevocable ban, even to the extent of refusing to allow the person accused of this unspecified transgression to open any other account at any point in the future.

Again, Jordet Nygaard not unreasonably sought to find out what the problem was so that she could try to address it. This time, she received an email that is not only wilfully unhelpful, but positively insulting thanks to a cheesy veneer of bogus sympathy that has been added for good measure:

We regret that we have not been able to address your concerns to your satisfaction. Unfortunately, we will not be able to offer any additional insight or action on these matters.

We wish you luck in locating a retailer better able to meet your needs and will not be able to offer any additional insight or action on these matters.

Of course, this is a totally Kafkaesque situation: found guilty of a crime you are not allowed to know, with no way to appeal. Over on Boing Boing, Cory Doctorow has an interesting theory about what might be the issue here:

I'd further speculate that the policy violation that Linn stands accused of is using a friend's UK address to buy Amazon UK English Kindle books from Norway. This is a symptom of Amazon's -- and every single other ebook retailer's -- hopelessness at managing "open territory" for ebooks.

That sounds very plausible, and means that Jordet Nygaard is essentially being punished for the publishing industry's incompetence when it comes to operating in a global online market, where national boundaries make no sense. Bad as that is, it's only a side issue here. What's most troubling is that Amazon not only closed down Jordet Nygaard's account, forbade her from ever opening up one again, and refused to discuss any aspect of its actions with her, but that it apparently has the capability to lock her out from all Kindle ebooks on any device -- and did so.

If you didn't take the hint when Amazon erased a couple of Orwell's books back in 2009, maybe this latest case involving the alleged remote lockout from all ebooks will finally get across the key message here: those Kindle ebooks you thought you had purchased, are actually only rented to you, and can be denied to you without explanation, and without recompense, any time Amazon wants to. The only ebooks you will ever truly own are those stored in open formats without DRM, which therefore allow backups to be made, and used anywhere.

Cite

TL;DR

Lady loses her ebook collection on the kindle and is banned for life with no explanation of her crime.

Of course this is one side of the story, but still if Amazon pulled this shit with my Kindle you better believe there would be a lawsuit brewing. This is in my opinion another example of companies abusing powers under the guise of copyright infringement. (It appears this has something to do with territorial sales)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 3
  • +

Replies To: Speaking of Copyright Infringement...

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Speaking of Copyright Infringement...

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:35 AM

I read that this morning.. I was all sorts of gearing up to get a Nook now.. I don't know.
http://www.bekkelund...-by-amazon-drm/

All of ye' with a Nook - is it possible to purchase non-DRM based books from them? And if so can I store them locally and not one some bastard-cloud service they can lock me out of?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:37 AM

This is the dark side of cloud computing. I'm sure within the next few years these stores will ramp up.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:38 AM

I can't speak for the Nook, but you can with the Kindle. They can wipe your purchased works - but any of the Gutenberg or opened works are safe. I would also guess any other ebooks you own that weren't purchased through Amazon.

From what I heard, and this is heresay... the Nook has way more restrictions than the kindle.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:43 AM

and locked her Kindle -- all without explanation.

They gave her an explanation. She broke the rules somewhere.

But the account holder claims to know nothing about any other account

Lol! Yeah, okay. I'll take her word for it because I've never heard that before....................

Face it, a company like Amazon isn't going to let you pull one over on them. They track everything and know who you are and what accounts you use. I highly doubt they just took a stab in the dark in linking her to some random account. As for them locking up her ebooks, welcome to cloud computing. If you're going to use their services, they're going to have control.
Was This Post Helpful? -3
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

they gave her the most bare, minimal 'explanation' they possibly could.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

@IJET So Barnes and Noble should be allowed to come into your home and take all your books you purchased from them?

Good thing I keep offline copies of all my books :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:48 AM

Man this totally happened to me last week. I was in the Harvard Coop, and when I went to buy a copy of Odersky, etal's Scala book they said "I'm sorry, someone named June Karpinski bounced a check here last week, so you can't buy that book." And then when I got home, they'd gone into my house and taken back all of the books I'd bought! My shelves were empty!

Or wait, no, that didn't happen. I guess I'll keep buying real books, 'cause that would suck if it did happen.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:48 AM

So basically I can spend 30 dollars for an Ebook that I don't technically own or I can spend 32.99 to actually own a copy of a book... yea, I think I'm going to stop purchasing Digital books from amazon.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:52 AM

@Nykc It's a business not a charity. If you're going to use them as some kind of service, their policy for using them will always give them the upper hand. I'm not saying it is right or wrong, but if it comes down to you losing money or them, they won't back down. You cant just violate their policies because you don't agree with them. By purchasing anything from them, you're agreeing to abide by their rules. It's sad that some of these companies have such market dominance and power they can pull stuff like this off, but it is what it is.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:58 AM

I am more bothered by the disappearance of books from people's kindles (after they purchased them) 1984, Fahrenheit 411 etc..

Or books I purchased - Learning Perl for Complete Fucking Retards and Go the Fuck to Sleep - Narrated by Samuel L. Jackson disappearing.

If you want to ban me because your mad I used an email address in Prague and live in Uzbekistan then ban me, but don't fuck with my purchases. Now I can smell a lawsuit either way.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#12 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

Heh.. sure the missing books is a big in-your-face problem, but what about all the small edits and changes that could take place. There damn well maybe a Lucas-effect happening to your books! The author or publisher making slight changes that get out of hand and fundamentally shift the story from one reading to another.

dun dun duuuuuun!

Spoiler

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 22 October 2012 - 12:26 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

I don't need some commie pink-o bastard censoring my copy of Catcher in the Rye!

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:40 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 22 October 2012 - 02:22 PM, said:

Heh.. sure the missing books is a big in-your-face problem, but what about all the small edits and changes that could take place. There damn well maybe a Lucas-effect happening to your books! The author or publisher making slight changes that get out of hand and fundamentally shift the story from one reading to another.

dun dun duuuuuun!

Actually, that could be kinda cool. There have been a few interesting experiments along those lines. I recall hearing about a novel - don't know if it was an actual one or just someone's crazy idea - printed on photosensitive paper. The idea was it would blacken just a little faster than you could read it, so you'd basically get fragments of the story, whatever you managed to get before it would fade to black. Sort of like memory, get it?

But no, not cool in the sense of "wait, this isn't what Mark Twain wrote!"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of Chris Tolkien tweaking/heavy editing dear old dad's stories.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »